How much is accuracy effected by..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Play in relation to the barrel and slide? When in full battery my barrel moves side to side a good deal? Should it be locked in place?

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Yeah, that would be a problem. There is a trade-off around gun tightness. More tight helps it to be more accurate. Less tight helps it to digest ammo more reliably. (Look at the slop built into AK's versus AR's.)

Is the gun accurate enough for your puposes? How much slop are you talking? Why not post a video?

ConradM

Blackhawk
Jumping Frog":2qooog1h said:
Yeah, that would be a problem. There is a trade-off around gun tightness. More tight helps it to be more accurate. Less tight helps it to digest ammo more reliably. (Look at the slop built into AK's versus AR's.)

Is the gun accurate enough for your puposes? How much slop are you talking? Why not post a video?

Hmm, I don't have a way to measure it but... I can visibly see a gap on either side of the ears when I move it side to side.

I'd say it's still accurate enough for SD... But my groups have started to spread... I thought maybe it was just me.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The lock-up on a pistol like an SR9 is loose until it has a round chambered.

Try putting a snap cap in it and I'll bet that play goes away.

A gun's locking can be tight and still fire just about any kind of ammo you throw at it.

1911's can do it, so can Sigs and CZ's, most of their barrels also lock in the slide with a series of lugs. Some of those pistols also employ a barrel bushing in the slide.

I have shot quite a few tight guns that have fed everthing. I don't buy the tight vs. loose argument as far as reliability goes.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":m6v1k2mx said:
I don't buy the tight vs. loose argument as far as reliability goes.

Or accuracy ... I've seen spectacularly accurate 1911's that rattled like a coffee can full of pebbles.

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz":281khi6k said:
The lock-up on a pistol like an SR9 is loose until it has a round chambered.

Try putting a snap cap in it and I'll bet that play goes away.

A gun's locking can be tight and still fire just about any kind of ammo you throw at it.

1911's can do it, so can Sigs and CZ's, most of their barrels also lock in the slide with a series of lugs. Some of those pistols also employ a barrel bushing in the slide.

I have shot quite a few tight guns that have fed everthing. I don't buy the tight vs. loose argument as far as reliability goes.

I was checking it with a round chambered.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
ConradM, I don't have much, if any play in my SR9 with a round chambered.

Rev, I have shot some real loose 1911's well enough but the slide must stay on axis with the barrel for the sites to stay in alignment.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz":28l8jeys said:
ConradM, I don't have much, if any play in my SR9 with a round chambered.

Rev, I have shot some real loose 1911's well enough but the slide must stay on axis with the barrel for the sites to stay in alignment.

How many rounds through yours?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Over 8,000 so far, my friend Terry borrowed it the other day and he probably added another 500 that I'm not counting.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz":3g26qtip said:
Over 8,000 so far, my friend Terry borrowed it the other day and he probably added another 500 that I'm not counting.

Hmm, and your barrel doesn't move at all with a round chambered? Maybe mine is just wearing funny.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I took some fairly bad pics of my barrel the other day. There was a thread showing some side markings on the barrel lugs at the end of the breech. Maybe I'll post them, mine doesn't look too affected.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
1003091911-00.jpg

1003091912-00.jpg

1003091914-00.jpg

Here they are, I really have shot the crap out of this gun and I did check again for play with a round loaded and there is no real off axis play.

You can see even in these pics that I have some slight barrel peening but it never has gotten any worse.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":1hw4qr72 said:
I'd say it's still accurate enough for SD... But my groups have started to spread... I thought maybe it was just me.

Did your groups start to open up after you put the stock striker in? Just a thought.

I've noticed when I dry fire my 1911 the sights stay on target when the trigger breaks, with the SR9 I always get some movement away from the aimpoint.

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":3adi9nhu said:
ConradM":3adi9nhu said:

Did your groups start to open up after you put the stock striker in? Just a thought.

I've noticed when I dry fire my 1911 the sights stay on target when the trigger breaks, with the SR9 I always get some movement away from the aimpoint.

No, haven't been to the range since the weekend before last.. Just put the new striker in yesterday.. I want to say I'm rusty.. But my groups were better the first time I shot the gun, which was my first time shooting in years..