How much ammo is enough?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GhosT

Blackhawk
Vito,
Good question,
And some good responses so far...........

Minor history,
Bought my first gun , age 18, 1978.
Bought ,sold, traded more guns than I can remember.

Decided long ago, shrink collection size.... to just favorite guns that covered my reasons for shooting.

Those reasons are...

Defense.........handguns,shotguns, long guns.
Hunting.........handguns,shotguns, long guns.
Target,range ...handguns,shotguns, long guns.
And just plinking fun guns.

Sounds like would take several guns...?

Got it down to around a dozen favorite guns, that most can cross over to those 4 "reasons".
A few handguns can use my rifle rounds.

A few calibers, I have a a few thousand in stock.....9mm's ,.223's, all that own guns shooting those rounds can get why. :wink:

One last suggestion for ''New Shooters'' reading this thread............

Before ya buy ammo in bulk....
If ya want that ammo to not degrade....just not go bad.....

Buy Army surplus ammo cans!!!!!
Store it somewhere not cold, NOT HOT !
Being air tight......ammo will work for Decades!!!

Any others agree with my ammo can advice?

Cordite

Single-Sixer
GhosT said:
Before ya buy ammo in bulk....
If ya want that ammo to not degrade....just not go bad.....

Buy Army surplus ammo cans!!!!!
Store it somewhere not cold, NOT HOT !
Being air tight......ammo will work for Decades!!!

Any others agree with my ammo can advice?
I agree with that although I have most of my ammo in Cabela's plastic "dry boxes" which are a lighter copy of an ammo can. I have divided up the ammo to one caliber per can so I don't have to root around looking for the right ammo when it's range time. I have a 4 foot wide heavy duty shelf unit in the basement mostly full of ammo.
I don't want to think about how much I paid for the whole pile but the thought comes up when I see a price sticker on one of the boxes.

Cordite

vito

Hunter
Anyone's thoughts on this change now that we know who is our next President? Yesterday I went out and spent about $100 on ammo, and had thought I might do the same today. Now I don't feel the pressure to buy at the moment. Feels good.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
vito said:
Anyone's thoughts on this change now that we know who is our next President? Yesterday I went out and spent about $100 on ammo, and had thought I might do the same today. Now I don't feel the pressure to buy at the moment. Feels good.

The world's still a nasty place. The stock market is still artificially propped up. The country is still divided. Hillary's supporters are still 50% of the country. Race relations are at a 50 year low. And... we have yet to see how "The Donald" will actually govern. Just food for thought. What we have now is hope; hope that we can right this ship. Be vigilant..... :D

The Preacher

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I've always been comfortable with 5,000 rounds of each caliber I shoot regularly. If Hillary had won, that would have doubled. With Trump as our new president I'll stick with 5,000.

Snake45

Hawkeye
You won't know if you have "enough" until you're dead.

If you die because you didn't have enough, you didn't have enough.

If you still had ammo when you pass, you had enough.

DGW1949

Hunter
The Preacher said:
vito said:

The world's still a nasty place. The stock market is still artificially propped up. The country is still divided. Hillary's supporters are still 50% of the country. Race relations are at a 50 year low. And... we have yet to see how "The Donald" will actually govern. Just food for thought. What we have now is hope; hope that we can right this ship. Be vigilant..... :D

The Preacher

Hey Preacher, I'll give ya an Amen to that.

DGW

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The left, especially BLM and other violent types, have begun what I expected they would. There will be more of it over the next few months or years. Carry your gun, don't leave it in the car or at home. Keep your head on a swivel. Be prepared for anything, at any time, or anyplace.

FPCON Charlie is in effect until further notice.

Shocking video out of Chicago shows a mob of young black men viciously beating an older white man because he voted for Donald Trump, dragging him through the streets as he hangs out of the back of his car.

The clip shows the thugs repeatedly screaming, “you voted Donald Trump” as they assault the victim from every angle while others steal his belongings.

“You voted Trump,” the mob screams, “You gonna pay for that sh*t.”

Another woman shouts “beat his ass,” while another man is heard laughing before remarking, “Don’t vote Trump.”

A second video of the incident which is dubbed with the “F**k Donald Trump” song, a phrase now being chanted by “protesters” across the country, shows one of the attackers driving away in the man’s vehicle while his hand is still stuck in the window as the car drags him down the street.

http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-black-mob-viciously-beats-white-trump-voter/

callshot

Blackhawk
The only thing that gets better with age is whiskey! I'd keep some of it to barter with in hard times, since I have never had a taste of it. The ammo and water I'd keep for myself. I don't need money because there are banks all over hell. The president-elect will not be there forever. So my answer would be, "whatever amount the pall bearers can carry! That brings up some other questions. Will I need it when I go to the range in the sky. Before that, will they let me have any guns and ammo in the rest home. If my children are going to fight over it all, then I'd give it all away to some one who would appreciate it and then it would be there problem. Maybe I will just use it to fund my old age. Good question.

Steve

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
The left, especially BLM and other violent types, have begun what I expected they would. There will be more of it over the next few months or years. Carry your gun, don't leave it in the car or at home. Keep your head on a swivel. Be prepared for anything, at any time, or anyplace.

FPCON Charlie is in effect until further notice.

Shocking video out of Chicago shows a mob of young black men viciously beating an older white man because he voted for Donald Trump, dragging him through the streets as he hangs out of the back of his car.

The clip shows the thugs repeatedly screaming, “you voted Donald Trump” as they assault the victim from every angle while others steal his belongings.

“You voted Trump,” the mob screams, “You gonna pay for that sh*t.”

Another woman shouts “beat his ass,” while another man is heard laughing before remarking, “Don’t vote Trump.”

A second video of the incident which is dubbed with the “F**k Donald Trump” song, a phrase now being chanted by “protesters” across the country, shows one of the attackers driving away in the man’s vehicle while his hand is still stuck in the window as the car drags him down the street.

http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-black-mob-viciously-beats-white-trump-voter/

Gunny, I'd say that appears to be a hate crime. One that a gun full of 45 ACP's could fix. I'll bet he was afraid for his life. D**n shame. I'm at least as old as that old guy but I get afraid for my life pretty quickly, might have to defend myself. They could beat him to death, probably want to, yep lethal force would probably be appropriate.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
Gunny, I'd say that appears to be a hate crime. One that a gun full of 45 ACP's could fix. I'll bet he was afraid for his life. D**n shame. I'm at least as old as that old guy but I get afraid for my life pretty quickly, might have to defend myself. They could beat him to death, probably want to, yep lethal force would probably be appropriate.

Yep. :) But given the numbers, I'd prefer a hi-cap 9mm or similar. Even a good blade if push comes to stick. Open them up, see what's inside. :twisted:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
Bear Paw Jack said:

Yep. :) But given the numbers, I'd prefer a hi-cap 9mm or similar. Even a good blade if push comes to stick. Open them up, see what's inside. :twisted:

I would be happy with either. Point of fact, I carry both. I suspect you would have to shoot pretty fast, to get more than a couple because after the first primer pop, there's going to be a lot of runners that just decided to go see mama, if they know who she is. Watching a group of minorities beating on an old man offends me deeply, wish I had been there. I believe the out come might have been different. By a long shot, so to speak.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
I suspect you would have to shoot pretty fast, to get more than a couple because after the first primer pop, there's going to be a lot of runners that just decided to go see mama, if they know who she is.

Perhaps. Depends on how much crack they've smoked recently. :wink:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I wonder how much they got paid by project Veritos for beating up the old man? Maybe $1500 each and a new Barak phone they can resell? Project Veritos needs to be shut down, HARD, along with all the players. I've heard they are thinking about an open season, on people attacking old white folks. Not sure of the limit.

kenv1950

Bearcat
I'm not sure . I have a closet full but this is whats in my second safe. Can't help myself , I buy ammo at lawn sales. I have ammo that I don't have guns for ( I see commercials for addiction but I don't fit and insurance won't cover it )

Rook

Blackhawk
Since I'm on the road to recovery after my recent surgery I'm back to reloading a few evening a week. I just keep on adding powder, primers and bullets to my stock as I run across some good deals.

I reload .380 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .40 S&W, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .50AE, 500 S&W Mag, .223, .30-06 and 12 ga shotgun shells. I've been reloading .38 Special this week

DSCN2755_zpsxyondvxz.jpg

tinman

Buckeye
To answer the original question...............there ain't no such thing. :roll:

Latest posts