how much ammo?, and how you carry it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a sp101 357magnum, i open carry right now and carry my spare ammo in a closed shell carrier on my belt. i carry 18 spare cartridges in the carrier, is this enough? i plan on getting my c.c.p. next year, and hopefully get a concealment holster, and speedloaders. i'm on a fixed income and can't afford much of anything right now, is how i carry my ammo ok? i would like to know how much others carry, and how you carry it to give me some ideas that might be better than i'm doing now. thanks for any help.

Sugar River

Buckeye
18 spares? You expecting an army?

Most folks seem to carry one reload. I'd look hard at speed strips, they're more easily concealed.

Remember the reason for carrying a handgun is to end a threat or to fight your way to a rifle.

Pete

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
In the summer, I carry a small .38 special+P, with a speed strip, containing 6 extra +P's, all with soft lead HP's. In the winter, I carry a 9MM, with two extra 9 round mags., loaded with Black Talons, although recently I've picked up some of the new DRT's, that they are using in the 'sandbox'. Haven't had a chance to try them out, but they are not supposed to exit a human target, and they are devestating.(and expensive as h**l)!!!
Earl.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
I usually just slip a bianchi speed strip with 6 rounds of .38 or .357 in my back pocket, depending on whether I am carrying sp101 or smith airweight.

coloradofarmboy

Bearcat
Depends on the purpose. If I am big game hunting (rather than plinking) I carry whatever my rifle magazine will carry plus one for the chamber. For hunting with revolvers I just carry a full load.

I have been out in the bush with hunters who have in excess of 20 rounds on their person. I guess if they get in a shoot out, they are covered. However, for big game hunting purposes I have never shot more than two shells. The last time was into an elk. I shot him in the heart, but because he was running I wasn't sure if I hit him cleanly, so I cranked off another for insurance. When he dropped about 10 yards later, upon inspection I found both rounds hit where intended. I still had four rounds left.

I figure if I can't hit something with a magazine load, it's time to go home.

GhosT

Blackhawk
100_9032.jpg

18 extra rounds...
Gee that's alot.

My pic shows 2 speedloaders......
But honestly, if ya defend yerself with yer SP101, doubt will need any extra ammo...

Odds are yer gonna win or lose with the 5 rounds in the gun.

maxpress

Buckeye
if i feel i need more than the 5 then i go with the glock. i figure if im running away from a situation then i will probably wind up back in the truck where i have a box of ammo in the console.

course i ussually have 2 5shot revolvers on me if im not glocking it that day. depends

bub

Single-Sixer
In all likelihood, it's highly doubtful you will need the 5 in the gun, let alone a reload. However, having said that, it's always a good idea to carry at least one extra reload, just in case. I like speedloaders better, but even carrying ammo for a reload puts you way ahead of the curve.

Myself, I carry the ammo in the gun (5 rds), plus 2 speedloaders (5x2 or 10 more rds) plus 2 loaded speedstrips (6x2, 12 more rds), for a total of 27 rds. WAYYYYYY more than I'll ever need, but I just don't feel comfortable carrying less.

When I carried my Glock 26 (that my dear wife confiscated!!!), I carried the mag in the gun (10+1 chambered) plus two spare mags (10x2, 20 rds) for a total of 31 rds. Again, WAYYYYYY more than I'll ever need, but comforting nonetheless.

Bub

MAC702

Single-Sixer
I'm more likely to have a second gun in my boot than I am to have a spare magazine for the 9-round auto on my hip.

As mentioned, the sidearm is a defensive weapon to save your life and get you OUT of a fight. In the very few times where shots are even fired, it's usually just two unless there are multiple assailants that just kept coming for some strange surreal reason.

Only cops on TV use sidearms to go into long battles. But their magazines don't run out of ammo anyway.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
If I'm carrying a revolver its useally a six shooter my Police Six or my Taurus 606 I always carry a one speed loader...
When I do security call i amost always carry my Smith 6906 strong side 13 loaded & two spare mags and my Keltec P-11 weak side cross draw loaded with 11 so thats two semis with 48 rd.s...
Lack of ammo, is not going to be the reason , I quit shooting back

Pal Val

Buckeye
I carry one reload for CCW or hunting with a handgun.

I hunt with a single shot rifle. I carry 5 rounds. It's hunting, not a search and destroy patrol. I find it funny that people walk into the deer woods carrying 20 rounds of ammo. I figure that if I ever get into a firefight with a deer, I'll need that many.

Exception - When hunting squirrels I throw a couple handfuls of .22s in my pocket.

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
This may not be totally correct, but all of you who hunt with only the rounds in your weapon must not live where there are grizzlies or wolves. You have also not been lost in the western mountains. I hunt with the 4 rounds in my 30-06, 12 more in an ammo pouch on my belt, a 44 mag on my hip, and 2 speed loaders. I also carry 12-18 more 44 mag rounds in an ammo wallet in my pack, and occasionally 10 more '06 rounds.

If I get lost or hurt and have to stay out a while, I want extra ammo with me, for bears, wolves, or small game hunting.

DLH

Hugh

Buckeye
dlh38or45":7sbqtdlj said:
This may not be totally correct, but all of you who hunt with only the rounds in your weapon must not live where there are grizzlies or wolves. You have also not been lost in the western mountains. I hunt with the 4 rounds in my 30-06, 12 more in an ammo pouch on my belt, a 44 mag on my hip, and 2 speed loaders. I also carry 12-18 more 44 mag rounds in an ammo wallet in my pack, and occasionally 10 more '06 rounds.

If I get lost or hurt and have to stay out a while, I want extra ammo with me, for bears, wolves, or small game hunting.

DLH

Point well taken. I've only hunted in Washington state and Utah. Four in my rifle and the rest of the box of 20 in my pack, for the same reasons.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I like at least one reload... I figure if it ain't no trouble to haul it on me... then the more the merrier.

In Lewis & Clarke's travels, didn't they take enough lead and powder to blow up a small town with them?... I seem to remember them carrying two or three muzzle pistols stuffed in there belts and never straying to far from a couple of long barrel Muzzle-loaders... it saved there hides more than a few times.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I usually carry only what is in my gun until I head out into the bush or my homestead.
Then I load for bear... so to speak...
I carry enough of everything to get me by in case I don't get all the way to my objective. Usually an extra 6 for the revolver, 5 more for the shotgun. This time of year a .22 handgun is taken along in case I spot a grouse...

Latest posts