how much ammo?, and how you carry it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I carry only what my gun holds. No extra like said before the gun will do its job with one shot and depending on which gun I have I will have from 5 to 8 rounds depending on the gun. That's plenty I have deer hunted with only 1 bullet several times.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Geography is the main factor. I hunt in Pennsylvania. No grizzlies, wolves or mountain cats. If I have a serious problem, 3 shots will get me rescued. If they don't, 100 won't either. The terrain here is rough. You don't want to be loaded down with too much stuff.

JBL13

Bearcat
Like a lot of stuff I might find in my toolbox, I consider my 2.25" DAO SP101 a tool, and a versatile one. I try to be prepared for a variety of scenarios, and my day can take me from the grocery store to the mountains of northern Utah. With that in mind, and given that there's no "chest-thumping" minimalist approach for me, here's what I carry for SP ammo, all in .357 Magnum except the shotshells:

Buffalo Bore 125-grain short-barrel tactical in the gun
Two speed loaders with the same
Speed strip with six 125-grain Speer Gold Dots
Pouch with 12 125-grain Speer Gold Dots
Speed strip with six CCI shotshells
Speed strip with six Buffalo Bore 180-grain LFNs

If I know I'll be heading to the hills, I'm inclined to carry my 4" GP instead. In that case, I trade out all the BB short-barrel tacticals for 125-grain CorBon DPXs.

Anymore, though, my usual daily carry piece is my XD-45 Compact with 10+1 in the gun and two spare 13-round magazines full of 230-grain Gold Dots.

pawncop

Blackhawk
My situation is slightly different as in my role as a peace officer.

I carry at least one extra magazine (16 rounds) for my Glock 32, and when I carry my 686 2 1/2" I carry at least two (2) speed loaders in left front pocket.

The vast, vast majority of time, this will suffice as I do not expect to get into a major firefight. If I was expecting a firefight, I would be carrying my AR or at least my shotgun with multiple rounds.

Herein lies the crux of the issue, as a concealed carry person, you are not expected to necessarily stay engaged other than to protect your life or the lives of your family. Total strangers is up to you, I pray you would do the right thing, but many times the right thing is to get the hell out of the area as soon as possible, and perhaps provide cover for those getting out.

It will be hard for those that have such a mindset to stay and fight but I will always recommend that your firearm should be used to provide cover fire while you disengage as soon as you possibly can.

It is a deflating idea to many to have a firearm and to primarily use to get out of the area, but remember, you are not police, you are not expected to stand and fight, and if you do and bad things happen you will be in a world of hurt.

I am expected to stand and fight and if bad things happen I may and stress may be in a better position, at least my police insurance will cover me in the case of criminal and civil process, to deal with the aftermath of shooting gone bad.

I will always recommend that anyone that carries a firearm always carry at least one reload in those rare occasions that sustained deadly force is required to resolve a situation. But the need for multiple reloads or multiple firearms places the average citizen that is armed in a precarious situation.

This is my opinion only and others should feel free to disagree to any degree they feel necessary.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
JBL13":3nhodweo said:
Like a lot of stuff I might find in my toolbox, I consider my 2.25" DAO SP101 a tool, and a versatile one. I try to be prepared for a variety of scenarios, and my day can take me from the grocery store to the mountains of northern Utah. With that in mind, and given that there's no "chest-thumping" minimalist approach for me, here's what I carry for SP ammo, all in .357 Magnum except the shotshells:

If I know I'll be heading to the hills, I'm inclined to carry my 4" GP instead. In that case, I trade out all the BB short-barrel tacticals for 125-grain CorBon DPXs.

Anymore, though, my usual daily carry piece is my XD-45 Compact with 10+1 in the gun and two spare 13-round magazines full of 230-grain Gold Dots.

Wow! Finally somebody who will admit that he doesn't hunt brown bear with one round of 22 short, and a pen knife. How refreshing.
Earl.

JBL13

Bearcat
EarlFH":m86c6rj9 said:
JBL13":m86c6rj9 said:

Wow! Finally somebody who will admit that he doesn't hunt brown bear with one round of 22 short, and a pen knife. How refreshing.
Earl.

You can only imagine what I'd carry if I hunted. :)

I appreciate the comments by Pawncop, though. Important stuff to consider. Despite the ammo I carry, my first response would be to try to escape a "situation" if possible.

LTB45

Bearcat
I have extra mags for all my semi's and one speed loader for my new favorite gun (GP 100). No matter what I am carrying for protection that day, I make sure that my gun is topped off with all that it can hold.
I never carry extra mags or even extra rounds, these are really for range use.

I don't do security work or police work. If I ever need more shots than my gun Du jour can hold then I shouldn't have been in that BAD place to begin with!!!

Pal Val

Buckeye
"Avoid escalating confrontations and use your firearm to provide cover while you disengage". That was doctrine when I was with the IRS. A live agent is infinitely more valuable to the agency than a dead hero.

You never know what you are gonna need. Carry as much as you are comfortable with and change it out every couple of months. Some days in hot weather with the SP101 and lightly dressed it's just the clyinder full. Other times it's a pocket pouch or up to two speed loaders. Just depends on the situation.