How many guns do you take to the range?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a friend that a number of years ago got the 'great idea' to open a fireplace / wood stove store down near Tampa Florida... needless to say there was not a lot of foot traffic into the store and so he set of a bullet catcher on one side of the store and used is Ruger MKII with a suppressor for entertainment while waiting for customers to show up.

skeen

Bearcat
As many as I can stuff in a bag.;)

EyPXUdKl.jpg

Ride1949

Blackhawk
Since our "range" consists of about a thousand acres of BLM (not that one) land, and usually evolves around a day of both hiking and shooting... two carry guns. One on my hip and one in an expandable back pack along with two single action convertibles, and a box of 50 rounds for each caliber.

Depends on who is coming with me. One for each grandkid and one for me, or two if I'm by myself. I use the gun rugs, with them carried separately and one sturdy tool box with a top lift out shelf with tools most often needed and ammo on the bottom underneath. It can carry 200 - 250 rounds of regular ammo in plastic MTM boxes, reduced by a hundred when I throw in the 22 ammo for the grandkids. Or If I need a lot of ammo, then an old 30 cal. ammo can painted blue with a red stripe across the top of it. The guns are kept on the open gun rug when out on the bench. If I'm going travelling with the guns the gun rugs will go into a carry bag all together. I don't take the rifles out much anymore. I don't hunt so it is a single gun to the rifle range, a 10/22 or the AR556 usually. Our LA Wildlife & Fisheries range is where I usually go and they have separate rifle and pistol ranges out to 100yds and a 5 stand shotgun. I don't like loading up and switching ranges so I just go loaded for one or the other.
Wish I was lucky enough to have a range out my backdoor.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
90% of the time I only take two guns. I have two of each of the guns I compete with and when working on them I bring both just in case something goes wrong with my main gun.

My shooting buddy and I learned many years ago that it sucks to have your gun break and you have to just sit there for an hour or force your friend to go home early.

On occasion I'll bring something else that I haven't shot in a while just to keep my hand comfortable with it.

vito

Hunter
The range that I belong to is only for handguns, and recently I take only one, and I'm there for no more than about 45 minutes. My shoulders are in bad shape, and while I do okay with normal activities of living, holding up even a lightweight handgun for more than a short time gets to be painful. Unless I use a bench rest of some sort, after maybe 50 rounds my hand becomes unsteady enough that my accuracy goes into the toilet (not that its so great even before that). So most of the time I take one gun, whether a 22, 38 or 9 mm most of the time, fire no more than 100 rounds and then call it a day. I tell myself that with my bad shoulders, not so good eyesight, and aging body in general, it would be best if I avoid getting into an extended firefight.

Rumrunner

Hunter
I used to take 2-5 guns, and always at least 1 rimfire. Then I lost ALL of my guns in a boating accident:)

I have a "Decked" drawer system in my truck. It has 2 full length drawers. I can put dividers in or carry many full length guns w/o dividers. One side has my shooting rests etc., always at the ready. The drawers lock, plus when my tailgate is closed and truck locked there is only a few inches they could be opened.

I’ve got a friend who has one of those “decked” systems in his truck. They look pretty nice.

I wouldn’t mind getting one, but we mostly use the truck for dirt and rocks for landscaping and general garden work. I don’t think I’d use something like those storage systems at all.

Rumrunner

Hunter
I bought it new for my 2015 Ford. When I traded for my 2020 F-150 I got the same size bed so I could switch it over. Took about 30 minutes each way. It holds 2,000 pounds but you do lose a lot of height in your bed. Think I have 9 or 10 inches of rail height.
It's been really good for keeping range gear handy, and great for prairie dog trips.

Asfar as how many guns, yesterday I took a chopped (5") Super Redhawk 44, a 9.5" Super Redhawk 44, a CVA Scout II 44, an American Compact 22, and a LCP II 380.

I always take at least 4 , sometimes 5. Plus enough ammo to make me happy. LOL My range bag gets real heavy with all the guns and ammo in there. Sure glad it has a shoulder strap.