The Norseman

Single-Sixer
I take my Revolver/Pistols to the Range the easiest
and protective way possible. Inconspicuously and
secret as possible.

I usually take one to three Revolvers. Each has
their own easy to handle Rug with carry handles
and are slipped standing up into a straight walled
gym bag about the size of the Revolver/Pistols.

50rnd plastic ammo boxes can be slid in any
where safely (bottom, sides, or pockets).

Rifles are put to into individual soft sided cases.

Each Gun is treated as if they were the last one
on Earth.

DWST08450_4.jpg

This is the case I use right now. It's a Dewalt Tough System 2.0. But I'm not real happy with it. First, it's pretty wide, but most importantly, the handle doesn't collapse all the way down. So it will NOT fit in the back of a pickup with a flat cover over the truck bed. Then it's also very heavy when full.

Otherwise, it's great!

OK, after all the comments, Thanks again, I now know I need a new range bag of some kind. I'll start looking.

Dave Schwaab

Bearcat
I have always been a handgunner, so, when I take my weekly trip to the range, everything I need to take fits into my range bag (except the mailing tube that carries my targets). I do have a couple of long guns, which may necessitate the addition of a rifle case, but that's only on rare occasions.

I always have at least 2 guns. When I carry more than 2, it's usually because I plan on shooting several guns on that particular trip. My rule of thumb is to carry 1 more gun than I plan to shoot, in case I have a problem with what I am shooting, I can switch guns, rather than packing up and going home early.

Of course, now that I'm retired, my armory has been reduced to just the guns I really enjoy shooting, like one of my Mark IIs, or a .45 Colt "hawgleg". My only remaining long guns are a 10/22 and a custom G2 Contender with a 24" barrel made for me by Match Grade Machine in .45 Colt (NOT the usual .410/.45 chambering).

dannyd

Blackhawk
The Saturday morning road show. Revolvers, chronograph, rifle, targets, fan, spotting scope and rifle rest. Started using golf bag carrier when I was doing cowboy action.

EE1ED52B-1F7F-4B39-B824-E71C9409680E.jpeg
642D5CA6-5C1E-49D2-BEC2-5FAE5BEE838F.jpeg

KIR

Blackhawk
Just yesterday, I went to the range with two handguns I bought in Feb. and Mar. For one reason or another I just couldn't make it there. Both I bought used. A Ruger new single six and a Browning Hi-Power 9mm C77. I have had an old Ruger which I gave to my son and I still have a BHP Mk. III. Both of the new ones I bought this year took 30 to 40 rd. for me to get used to, but thereafter, they both were shooting just great. Very happy with both.

375supermag

Single-Sixer
Hi...
I subscribe to the theory that more is better than less, so my range trips are sort of like outfitting a platoon of soldiers.
My son and I take the large rolling bag that the NRA sells full of semi auto handguns plus a couple of larger revolvers, two large leather range bags full of revolvers, a large vinyl bag from Midway(IIRC) full of revolvers and two four gun hard sided pistol cases (totals somewhere around 50 handguns) plus anywhere from three to four lever action rifles in pistol calibers and nine ammo cans full of cartridges. And that is if we are only shooting on the handgun range that day.
We typically fill the back of his GMC Denali with enough guns and ammunition to keep us shooting for 5-6 hours. We typically start of with .22LR /22Mag and work our way up through the calibers from 9mm to .44Magnum and finish up with a few cylinders full of full power Ruger only loads in .45Colt, .41Mag and .44Mag plus some .357Maximum and .375SuperMag.

If we are shooting shotguns and rifles, then they are many more long gun cases plus more ammunition, rifle rests etc.

We do this about every week or two weeks depending on the weather...I don't need to shoot when it's raining, freezing cold or unbearably hot and humid. I can wait for nice weather.

Lately, the limiting factor has been primer availability. The last few years have seen me go through what was many thousands of primers and pounds of powder that I had stockpiled over the years but I am down to my last 8-10 thousand pistol primers and the cost ($130/thousand) of what few primers I find locally is remarkably similar to price gouging, so I have refrained from buying primers at that price point.

nekvermont

Blackhawk
I usually only take the one on my hip and a long gun of some sort to the 100yd range. If I want to shoot a different gun I'll take a 60 second walk back to the house and get what I want.

Crockett12

Bearcat
Every time I get some guns out of the safe to go to the range, I'm bothered. I never want to take so many, and usually end up bringing 4 pistols. I'd like to bring just one or two, but I'll see something I haven't shot in a while, or another gun I cleaned, so I know it will shoot and not get jammed up. I guess 4 is the nice round number. That way one can cool down while I shoot another.

But then HOW do you bring your guns to the range? This is another nightmare that keeps me awake at night. One bag? It gets heavy with ammo and accessories. Do you use an ammo box? I have some of the old military ammo boxes. Generally I'll bring ammo in one of those. With more than 4 pistols, if they are all different calibers, then it starts to get messy. Don't even get me started about packing for a trip on an airplane.

I'm always envious of those at the range that have one bag, it's all organized and tidy. When I get to the range, and finally get unpacked, it takes up a whole bench, or two, and looks like a tornado went through. Targets and magazines spread out, I've got some carpet squares so I don't have to set my pistols down on the bench and might get scratched. It's a mess.

Then I see pistol cases like this one...It's nice to dream it might get my life organized:
Supposedly it will store 4 pistols standing up with two magazines each. But then I'm left with hearing protection, glasses, ammo, targets, tape for the targets, tools like screwdrivers etc.

This is the Nanuk 925 4 Up Gun Case. Made in Canada and very pricy. It's biggest limitation I can see right away is, you need for 4 guns of similar size. And not revolvers, no long barrels, etc.

View attachment 5885

How do you manage? I bet some of y'all are those that show up with 1 gun in a tidy little case, all organized.
I'm lucky enouigh to be retired and always go to the range in the middle of the week when few others are there -- if even that! I take 2 or 3 rifles and a couple of pistols and have to spread out over 3 benches. I could never do that if I went on higher use days! I normally have to make several trips to the truck and back to get everything to the benches. Then I can spend all day there shooting and cleaning as I go! For rifle shooting l also take a 2 target frames with 12 targets on them (24 in total) and hang the frames down range at the 100 yd targets so I seldom have to go back and forth to the targets.

arcticruger

Red Eagle
At least 2 or more, I always have my carry and the truck gun. Other than that, it really all depends on what I’m planning to do for that day.

jbenedetto2

Bearcat
Just two handguns and 300-400 rounds for each. One range bag. The bag is sooo much lighter on the way home. Ammo is heavier than guns.

I normally plan my range days in advance so I know what I'm taking and what is needed. I have several guns that need to be shot for the first time (my new Max 9 and and the Mark II I just bought.) They're going for me to make sure everything works the way it is supposed to. I have another that I'll take to the range for the first time but that won't be until Oct 1 at Contenders place (my Maxi that I'll be loading for this weekend).

Kevin, I ALWAYS have a hard time figuring out what guns to take to Tyrones place every year. This year it will be several single actions :eek:(Maxi and .30 Carbine), my Max 9 and a P95DC, a Wrangler in case the wife wants to shoot, my SIG SBR (and it's suppressor) my new PCC and maybe my .480 Ruger Super Redhawk (if I can find or get some ammo loaded for it).

If you are worried about the guns over night, take them into your room at night, I've done that many times in the past. I don't now because I have a VERY strong thick aluminum cover on my truck.

krw

Blackhawk
I take two handguns to the range, and about 150 rounds for each, or three boxes. I have one of those Husky tool bags form Home Depot that has the extendible handle and two wheels so I can roll the kit to the range from the SUV. And I try to fire off ALL the ammunition so I have a lighter load on the way home.

And, as a matter of practice, the two revolvers are greatly different in the size of the cartridge. For example, .357 Mag. and .44 Magnum; or .38 Special and .45 Colt. Never .44 and .45, to avoid the possibility of load the wrong cartridge.

And, if y'all will indulge me: When I come home, I log in my shooting, from the empty cases in the boxes, then go out to the shop and dump the empties into the tumbler and then begin cleaning my guns. I have a Thumbler's Tumbler that holds fifty rounds in each of tow drums. this keeps my cases separate so I know exactly how many times they have been loaded.

My routine.

Bob Wright
You got your $$’s worth outa that brass!!

The A Team

Bearcat
I just got a large Savior brand rifle range bag because it’s awkward to carry 3 items and open doors. It’s big and carry’s all my new (favorite) toys. Two rifles and 2 handguns. I don’t even need to take the handguns out of their cases.

The only downside is it’s a little heavy and big.

My small range bag holds 2 handguns and everything except ammo for them.

I get bored once I punch out the bullseye with a gun and usually pick up a different gun. I need to find a out door range with steel targets.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
While I appreciate and fully understand the comments about "Each Gun is treated as if they were the last one on Earth." some of use consider a firearm as a 'tool' and as such, it's understood that quite often tools aren't forever. I carry guns every day(often ALL day) and as with other tools, these guns take a beating--it's just a fact of life.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I just got a large Savior brand rifle range bag because it’s awkward to carry 3 items and open doors. It’s big and carry’s all my new (favorite) toys. Two rifles and 2 handguns. I don’t even need to take the handguns out of their cases.

The only downside is it’s a little heavy and big.

My small range bag holds 2 handguns and everything except ammo for them.

I get bored once I punch out the bullseye with a gun and usually pick up a different gun. I need to find a out door range with steel targets.
I use those Shoot-N-See targets, and stick four on the back of a large paper target. When the shooting gets near to boring, I shoot duelest style at first one bull, then run five targets shootin alternately and fairly rapidly.

Bob Wright

tazbigdog

Single-Sixer
Depends on who I am meeting at the range. Sometimes we decide to bring pistols, or rifles and have a contest. Usually carry most of the range gear in a range bag. It’s as big as a suitcase. Throw it over your shoulder and you’re good to go.

I try to stick to calibers, say 9 mm. I’d bring a couple of pistols out and target shoot. And bring enough ammo to halt the zombie apocalypse. 😂