How many guns do you take to the range?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Every time I get some guns out of the safe to go to the range, I'm bothered. I never want to take so many, and usually end up bringing 4 pistols. I'd like to bring just one or two, but I'll see something I haven't shot in a while, or another gun I cleaned, so I know it will shoot and not get jammed up. I guess 4 is the nice round number. That way one can cool down while I shoot another.

But then HOW do you bring your guns to the range? This is another nightmare that keeps me awake at night. One bag? It gets heavy with ammo and accessories. Do you use an ammo box? I have some of the old military ammo boxes. Generally I'll bring ammo in one of those. With more than 4 pistols, if they are all different calibers, then it starts to get messy. Don't even get me started about packing for a trip on an airplane.

I'm always envious of those at the range that have one bag, it's all organized and tidy. When I get to the range, and finally get unpacked, it takes up a whole bench, or two, and looks like a tornado went through. Targets and magazines spread out, I've got some carpet squares so I don't have to set my pistols down on the bench and might get scratched. It's a mess.

Then I see pistol cases like this one...It's nice to dream it might get my life organized:
Supposedly it will store 4 pistols standing up with two magazines each. But then I'm left with hearing protection, glasses, ammo, targets, tape for the targets, tools like screwdrivers etc.

This is the Nanuk 925 4 Up Gun Case. Made in Canada and very pricy. It's biggest limitation I can see right away is, you need for 4 guns of similar size. And not revolvers, no long barrels, etc.

91Y2dbbLr6L._AC_SX679_.jpg

How do you manage? I bet some of y'all are those that show up with 1 gun in a tidy little case, all organized.

I was packing as I typed this. 2 more guns snuck into my case. I'm back to using this big box from Home Depot. It's nice, but heavy when loaded with 5 or 6 guns.

turd

Blackhawk
I usually shoot both revolvers and plastic 9s, so a carry case for each, a range bag with all the necessities, and then boxes or plastic containers of ammo, so, yeah, it can be a mess....

Dan in MI

Staff member
A hard T/D shotgun case with as many as I can fit inside the puzzle frame. My “line case” (a gun guard accessory case) full of emergency on the line tools and personal accessories, and usually one more gun. A 50 can, or sports bag of ammo. A sports bag of targets and scope.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I usually only take a few guns at a time,, as my range is very close to the house. But to transport them & my stuff is about the same here as it is if I go to a shooting match.
I have a couple of normal range bags. Eye & ear protection & some of the "what if" items are always in those bags.
I put my gun(s) in soft cases in the bag. UNLESS I'm taking some longer barreled handguns. Then I use a hard case that can carry a few Contenders as well as a couple of other handguns.
I use the Dillon Border Shift ammo bags for the ammo. I enjoy the Border Shift bags a lot.

And I'm able to drive my truck wherever I want on the range,, so it's easy to have whatever I need handy.

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
Every time I get some guns out of the safe to go to the range, I'm bothered. I never want to take so many, and usually end up bringing 4 pistols. I'd like to bring just one or two, but I'll see something I haven't shot in a while, or another gun I cleaned, so I know it will shoot and not get jammed up. I guess 4 is the nice round number. That way one can cool down while I shoot another.

But then HOW do you bring your guns to the range? This is another nightmare that keeps me awake at night. One bag? It gets heavy with ammo and accessories. Do you use an ammo box? I have some of the old military ammo boxes. Generally I'll bring ammo in one of those. With more than 4 pistols, if they are all different calibers, then it starts to get messy. Don't even get me started about packing for a trip on an airplane.

I'm always envious of those at the range that have one bag, it's all organized and tidy. When I get to the range, and finally get unpacked, it takes up a whole bench, or two, and looks like a tornado went through. Targets and magazines spread out, I've got some carpet squares so I don't have to set my pistols down on the bench and might get scratched. It's a mess.

Then I see pistol cases like this one...It's nice to dream it might get my life organized:
Supposedly it will store 4 pistols standing up with two magazines each. But then I'm left with hearing protection, glasses, ammo, targets, tape for the targets, tools like screwdrivers etc.

This is the Nanuk 925 4 Up Gun Case. Made in Canada and very pricy. It's biggest limitation I can see right away is, you need for 4 guns of similar size. And not revolvers, no long barrels, etc.

View attachment 5885

How do you manage? I bet some of y'all are those that show up with 1 gun in a tidy little case, all organized.
If you buy this or something like it. Be careful of the foam sucking the oil off your guns if kept in for very long . I've seen alot of guns that were stored in them thinking they would be OK. a sad sight for all . Not for long time storage but OK for short time..

Mobuck

Hawkeye
My 100 yard and under 'range' is closed due to having livestock in the pasture behind the backstop. In a couple more weeks, the livestock will move to a different pasture and the 'range' will re-open.
The 300-400 yard 'range' is open so 4-5 times a week I take the rifle that's been sitting in the pickup seat for a month, grab my seat pad and bog pod, and trundle up through the hayfield driveway to sit and fire a shot or 3 at the steel plates. Don't need any gun case. Yesterday, I spooked a flock of turkeys off the 'range' and a few days back a couple of deer occupied the middle ground below the plate hanger.
Again, I'm so fortunate BUT it wasn't free.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one that overpacks.

Right now I get stressed out just thinking about what to bring to Contender’s in October. There the hard part is I don’t want to leave anything valuable in the car at a hotel overnight.

Ye
Old guy so I have a gung ho brand bullseye box..one side folds up with spotting scope…and a tray for 4 pistols..anyone remember them? I put one on my table at a gun show for $50 and it never got more than a glance…kind of glad…still using it
s I remember them, I would have bought it in a heartbeat at $50. Pachmayer (sp) used to make them I think, yes?

eveled

Hunter
Big plastic tool box with essential tools and stapler in the tray. Underneath is for ammo/magazines. My dads old American Tourister brief case holds 3 handguns and paper targets. Never more than 2 rifles.

If by myself I just grab earmuffs. Usually I’m not alone. I have a plastic crate full of hearing and eye protection.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin, I have one of those old style Bullseye handgun boxes in some of my "stuff." If I can dig it out,, it's yours when you get here.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I take two handguns to the range, and about 150 rounds for each, or three boxes. I have one of those Husky tool bags form Home Depot that has the extendible handle and two wheels so I can roll the kit to the range from the SUV. And I try to fire off ALL the ammunition so I have a lighter load on the way home.

And, as a matter of practice, the two revolvers are greatly different in the size of the cartridge. For example, .357 Mag. and .44 Magnum; or .38 Special and .45 Colt. Never .44 and .45, to avoid the possibility of load the wrong cartridge.

And, if y'all will indulge me: When I come home, I log in my shooting, from the empty cases in the boxes, then go out to the shop and dump the empties into the tumbler and then begin cleaning my guns. I have a Thumbler's Tumbler that holds fifty rounds in each of tow drums. this keeps my cases separate so I know exactly how many times they have been loaded.

My routine.

Bob Wright

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Keeping with my mantra: LESS IS MORE, I usually bring two pistols(if it's a pistol day for me) or two rifles (if a rifle day).
Ammo: again...less: usually bring one box of 50 handloads per caliber (usually total is 2 - 3).
Put the guns in gun socks and then in my very old hard-cover brief case that I stuffed with mattress foam padding.
Put the ammo and essentials in an older MIDWAY range bag. Bring my own "sand bags" (4).
Dump everything in an old lady's shopping cart (just to be different than the macho dudes).
Belong to a very old (too) private range (1939) and not too far from the house. Shoot only once a week even though I could go every day if I really wanted to,
EASY PEASY.... and FUN

+1 on the Thumblers' Tumbler.... one drum (of course)... no repairs other than a drive belt since the 70's.

J.

Latest posts