How many different "competition target" models?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aaronxs400

Bearcat
Just curious, looking at all these MKII and MKIII, how many different guns were labeled as competition target?

I have seen the following in old auctions or classifieds:
MKII Stainless 6.875"
MKII Blue 6.875"
MKII 22/45 Blue 6.875"

MKIII Stainless 6.875"

I have seen the following, but not sure if they are labeled Competition or not
MKII Stainless 5.5"
MKII Blue 5.5"
MKII 22/45 Great Eight 8"
MKIII 22/45 5.5"
MKIII 22/45 4.5"

Anyone know about these other models, if they are just targets, govt models, or competition targets? Thanks!

how many?? good question, but bottom line is unless the gun itself is MARKED "competition model' or the box/shipper, they are what they are, "target models" if having factory adjustable rear sights..........and your list is nowhere near "complete".......

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
MKII 22/45 Great Eight 8" is marked 'Competition Target', as is the blued 6-7/8" slabside 22/45. No other MkII 22/45's were marked as such.

aaronxs400

Bearcat
Exactly my point rugerguy. Which ones WERE labeled competition target? I dont care if they had a slabside barrel, just if they were labeled competition target. Do you know the different variations that were all competition target models?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I believe all the Competition Target modes also had the adjustable trigger, including the 22/45.

Ruger's advertisements and catalogs used to proudly state that "All Competition Target models are shipped with a free Ruger scope mount and set of Ruger Rings... a $$ value".
However the 22/45 C/T models - 6 7/8 and 8" - were not.
I know this as I had to call and negotiate those parts (twice). But they did offer them "at cost"... :shock:

mohavesam said:
I believe all the Competition Target modes also had the adjustable trigger, including the 22/45.
According to the Ruger parts breakdown there was no 'adjustable trigger' offered for the MK III. Do you have a part number for it?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
No I don't.
A quick check of the manuals shows the MkII Target (including the 22/45) models had the adjustable triggers - in the front of the trigger assy - and stop screws, while the MkIII guns do not have that option.
The MkII trigger part# was A01201, with the tiny adjustment screw being KA05800, a stainless screw.
I have used the adjustments and trigger-stop on my 22/45 hunting guns with great result, having received some comment from everyone who ever tried them.

I have avoided the Mk III guns successfully so far. My experience is strictly with the Mk II. With the MkIII I would suggest a Clark trigger job for a first-class 'smith trigger. See http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22srmn.htm#trig
8)

kacher1

Bearcat
aaronxs400 said:
Exactly my point rugerguy. Which ones WERE labeled competition target? I dont care if they had a slabside barrel, just if they were labeled competition target. Do you know the different variations that were all competition target models?

Not sure I'm reading the question correctly but: Only slabside barreled Mark II and III's are marked/labeled Competition Target. Came in a couple barrel lengths.

chet15

Hawkeye
kacher1 said:
aaronxs400 said:

Not sure I'm reading the question correctly but: Only slabside barreled Mark II and III's are marked/labeled Competition Target. Came in a couple barrel lengths.

The short 4" and 4-1/2" slab side barrel Mark III's are not marked "Competition Target"
Chet15

Latest posts