How many 416 Rugers are being built not many

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I love the 416 Ruger I hope it makes it.Of all the new calibers this is a good one.Its a 416 for under $1000 and the ammo is reasonable.I have seen ammo but no guns.I gotta sell some stuff and get one while they make them.I hope they make a 24" african model with wood that would be awesome.I have had 6 416 rem mags but I like the shorter throw and the stainless Ruger better.I hope Winchester makes a few too in this caliber but I dought it.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I think the Africans have a 23" barrel, I doubt they will make them longer.

I agree, I don't have a need for the 416, but it would be cool to have.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I have heard that there is a problem with the 416 breaking wood stocks. I would not be surprised. 416's bounce around a little. When I built my Taylor, two shots splintered the first stock. It was laminated and I still got stung by flying chunks. Next one got glassed up front.
Wouldn't that African be nice in 416? It would probably need a second recoil lug and glassed. Even then, stocks would have to be picked a little more carefully than the run of the mill rifle. Density and grain patterns matter with that kind of recoil. All that means higher costs. As light and lively as the 375 is, I bet the 416 would handle like a shotgun, but it would also be a serious snot knocker. It would be way cool!
Bfly

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Have a Pac-Nor barreled Ruger 416.

Had mine made with a 26 inch barrel.

That joins my other 416 s

416 Taylor
416 Remington Magnum
416 Rigby
416 RUM
416 Weatherby Magnum

The Weatherby will stop bull prairie dog charges in their tracks.

Tracer

Bearcat
The only Ruger .416 I have seen lately was on that hunting show called Tracks Across Africa. A Ruger CEO was using one to kill a lion.

I really do like the .416 I have at the house, it is a model 70 Wincheser wlith nice burl walnut stock and in the .416 Remington caliber. It's penetration with a solid is unbelieveable and it hits big game like wildebeast with the authority of THORS HAMMER!!!

4Sixteen

Bearcat
I found one. Factory loads are non-existent. :p

416UL1.jpg

Tracer

Bearcat
Black-Fl;y, I have had my model 70 Winchdester .416 Remington magnum caliber for over 11 years now and it has been to Africa on more than one occasion. I would say that this rifle has had at least 1,600 rounds put down the barrel with no problems with the factory wood walnut stock or action.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Tracer,
Appreciate your comment. Congrats on that. That's how it should be.

I've been told by gunsmiths who know a lot more than me, that good bedding is key on big bores. I've not heard of Model 70's with stock splitting. Never had any problems with my 375 when I had it. I can't say whether the first stock split oin my rifle was becasue of sloppy bedding or not. The second stock was done by a guy I had more faith in. It has held up well.
I've seen and/or heard of a number of bigger bore Rugers, particularly the early 458's with splits down near the front screw and chips behind the tang. In fact, in one of the shops I worked in required that any Ruger 375 or bigger required the smith look at it before we took it in trade or for consignment, because of potential stock cracks. Of course the big difference between a 70 and a 77 is that darn angled screw. All that aside, I still prefer the early 77's. Just because I like 'em.

The rep for the company providing our Rugers in the last place I worked was the one who told me they were having trouble trying to get wood on the 416R, becasue of concerns over splitting. But he could have been BSing me.
Bfly

WiFowler

Bearcat
I shot a note to Ruger's CEO via the "Ask the CEO" link on their web page, pretty much asking the same question - "when will we see a 416R in the African configuration?" Don't know that I'll see a response, but was told by CD that he reads all of the inquiries.