How late did Ruger use Micro sights on Mk-1's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fredrx

Single-Sixer
I recently picked up a bull barrel Mk-1 (aka T512) which has a Micro rear sight. The serial number is 10-823xx which is well after Ruger made the transition to the alloy sights. Is this considered a rarity? An oddball perhaps, or just an example of Rugers' "parts is parts" approach to assembing guns from whatever was lying around?

we have only heard of 1 in the early 10 prefix range as to having come from the factory with the 'Micro' marked rear sight, and I recall Chet15 makes mention of this in his 'RENE' guide...and no, there would be no way to "verify" as to this actually coming on any of those guns ....yes, they have been put on by others, ,I know we did it for some shooters, who did NOT like the Ruger version of the early adjustable rear sights and wanted "anything" BETTER??? Micro was the preferred sight to use back then....

fredrx

Single-Sixer
rugerguy":1jgr37br said:
we have only heard of 1 in the early 10 prefix range as to having come from the factory with the 'Micro' marked rear sight, and I recall Chet15 makes mention of this in his 'RENE' guide...and no, there would be no way to "verify" as to this actually coming on any of those guns ....yes, they have been put on by others, ,I know we did it for some shooters, who did NOT like the Ruger version of the early adjustable rear sights and wanted "anything" BETTER??? Micro was the preferred sight to use back then....

Dan - Thanks for the info. Like you say, not verifiable but I'd like to think that this one left the factory with the Micro. The gun is as NIB as one can find -- no sign whatsoever of ever having been fired. Complete with pristine box numbered to gun and all papers.

hey, like we always say, "with Ruger, never say never...." I'm sure Chet15 will see this and comment on it,but "parts is parts", and not so noted on the shipping invoice......
special order, could and should be noted...........besides the fact, it could also have been returned to have the the Micro put on...gotta have the "paper trail......" even if the original buyer, claims he bought it this way, we have seen shops over the years , put other parts on guns, just to make it "different" from another one that may be "identical" on the shelves,,,,see this more often with grips, but not really a reason for them to 'swap out' an adjustable rear, again, it is a case of shooter preference...........

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, parts is parts. Could be factory, but no way to prove since it is so late.
This does bring up another question though. We don't have any Mark I's anymore, but can anybody tell me if the rear sight dovetail moved when Ruger went from the steel Micro marked rear sight to the aluminum sight?
Pictures in my book don't quite answer the question for me.
Chet15

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I have a T678 with a MICRO rear sight. Serial # 10-14502. This gun did come from the original owner and has original box. Then I have another T678 without the MICRO in serial # 10-64936. Also a note on a T512 without Micro in serial # 10-08839. I am sure the prefix guns with MICRO sights is possibly a parts bin deal..

radicalrod

Hunter
I have a 512 with the Micro site # 10-02705....yours is way later than this one.....I have never gotten the ship date for this gun.....see ya RR.