How I taught my grandson to shoot..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Thread on another forum about teaching someone to shoot a handgun. No certified instructor myself, I figured I learned without formal instruction, maybe I could teach my grandson. Now he lives in Texas, so don't see him frequently, so needs to be sort of a crash course.

First of all, I took him out to my work shop and gave him some instruction on sight picture and trigger squeeze, included a lot of dry firing. First live firing was with my Single Six. Why? Because after firing, the gun has to be manually cocked before it can be fired again. After observing his ability with this, progressed to my Ruger 22/45 auto, always observing his shooting, not his target. As time went on I then progressed him to my S&W Model 586 with .38 Special ammunition, and finally to full house .357 Magnum loads.

The results?

I never made instruction onerous or tiresome, but always kept it fun and interesting. He's a few years from being as good as his grandad, but shows promise.

Bob Wright

Pal Val

Buckeye
You are an A-1 instructor. The way you did it just added a lifelong member to the shooting sports community. The proof is on paper, so to say.

stevemb

Hunter
Thank you for bringing another to within the fold. Think he needs a matching hat is all.

737tdi

Hunter
Bob: I swear by the 22/45 for training. It is a lot cheaper then 9mm and simulates a larger auto very nicely. My wife and I use ours fairly often just to stay proficient with less cost.

Karl

Latest posts