How hard has it been to find 45's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

schloss

Single-Sixer
I'm looking for a Blackhawk in 45 with a 4-5/8 or 5-1/2" barrel, and haven't had much luck locating one around here for my desired price. I'd go with either a stainless or blued, doesn't bother me which. I'm seeing them going a lot higher on gunbroker and the like.

I'm trying to find a new model for around $350. Am I being too cheap? and where can I find one? Anybody been having any luck?

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Yes you are being to cheap. You probably wont find a new Blackhawk for under $400 these days. Stainless is going to add to that price by probably close to $100.

BTW: Cheapest prices you are likely to find these days are on http://www.budsgunshop.com

Greebe

Okie69

Bearcat
You can find the 7 1/2 or 6 1/2 for about $350 0n GB but the shorter ones seem to be more desirable and bring more money.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'd think new you're looking at a minimum of $425 for a blued one, A nice clean used one will run $325 at least. Remember that even if you find it less on-line, there's shipping and transfer fees to think about.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I recently look some & bought a NIB 4 5/8" SS Blackhawk in 45 Colt for $475, + taxes & the background check. You may find one for $450 somewhere, maybe.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Greebe":1wmaci0a said:
Yes you are being to cheap. You probably wont find a new Blackhawk for under $400 these days. Stainless is going to add to that price by probably close to $100.

BTW: Cheapest prices you are likely to find these days are on http://www.budsgunshop.com

Greebe

I believe he is asking about a "New Model" not a new gun. I think $350 should be pretty doable for a used NM blackhawk. If you can't find one for that, save up another $50-60 and buy a new one.

Scott

Single-Sixer
I recently paid close to $500 for mine (SS, NIB, 4 5/8") by the time shipping & FFL transfer were paid. Bud's Gun shop was the only place I could find one at any price after a couple months looking. I admit, however, that I tend to pay whatever it takes (within reason) once I find what I'm looking for.

tek4260

Buckeye
Well, my dealer sells them new for $430. He usually sells them right :D

Of course, in 2008 I was buying the same thing new for less than $350

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
This question got my wheels turning about gun cost vs. ammo cost for some reason. How about this....if a person went to a big box store and bought 8 boxes (400 rounds) of factory loaded 45 LC then it would cost about the same as a NIB Blackhawk. Looking at things from this agle kind of makes the price of a Blackhawk seem fairly low-cost by contrast.

400 rounds of factory ammo should cost less than half of the NIB cost of the gun....no matter which caliber or gun you look at. It seems like the big, rare and powerful rounds don't follow this "rule", however.

400 rounds of 357 = $200......most NIB 357 revolvers cost $500+
400 rounds of .223 = $160......most NIB AR-15's cost $900+
400 rounds of 22lr = $32.....most NIB .22's cost $250+

If the low initial cost of a 45 Blackhawk is an issue then you are REALLY going to hate paying for factory ammo (if you can even find it in the stores). I just did the math on buying 400 rounds of 460 S&W and came up with a cost of around $1000. The guns that shoot this round costs over a grand too. The initial cost/ammo feeding, of a 460 S&W, is over twice as much as the intial cost/ammo feeding of a NIB 45 Blackhawk. A 460 gun and 400 rounds, for it, will set a person back $2000+. While a 45 BH and 400 rounds, for it, will only set you back around $800. I would rather have a new gun and a pile of ammo rather than not even coming up with enough for a gun with no ammo.

If you could find a 95% or better Blackhawk in the used market and reloaded for it then you would be shooting one of the best values on planet earth next to old military surplus stuff and 22lr's. I know that I kind of went way out there with this one. The cost of ammo is driving me cazy. It pays to reload these days. Anyway, just food for thought.

Knuckles

Buckeye
schloss":2ncdxmjb said:
I'm looking for a Blackhawk in 45 with a 4-5/8 or 5-1/2" barrel, and haven't had much luck locating one around here for my desired price. I'd go with either a stainless or blued, doesn't bother me which. I'm seeing them going a lot higher on gunbroker and the like.

I'm trying to find a new model for around $350. Am I being too cheap? and where can I find one? Anybody been having any luck?

I'm not crazy about the personality of the owner, but you can usually get a good deal on those at "Guns Galore" in Fenton, MI.

That's where I have purchased the majority of my guns... good prices and 1-yr lay-a-way keeps me coming back.

Check Cabela's too!... I've bought some dirt-cheap used Vaqueros from them.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Buds in the best place I have found for new Blackhawks. I just purchased a stainless 4-1/2 $505 with transfer. You might find a used one at a local Gander Mountain or Bass Pro.

I missed out on purchaseing a used one at my local Gander Mountain. The gun hat had less than a box of ammo fired. Gander sold the gun for $300. I know the guy that had purchased the gun new less than 3 weeks earlier and hated the recoil. He has tiny hands, some biological defect.

I was picking up a rifle and I did not look at the used guns until it was too late.

schloss

Single-Sixer
Greebe":33bkrhzt said:

Greebe

No, not looking for a new one. Just a new model blackhawk. I'm happy with used, even if it's not the prettiest anymore, as long as it's mechanically sound. I like to shoot. Looking at them is nice, but I don't mind a few dings.

As far as ammo, I am planning to reload, looking at casting my own bullets, too. I'll check out Bud's sometime soon here. thanks for the replies.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
schloss":mlizhy13 said:
I'm happy with used, even if it's not the prettiest anymore, as long as it's mechanically sound. I like to shoot. Looking at them is nice, but I don't mind a few dings.
I am the same way. Most of my guns are new, but used is fine with me as I plan on putting them to work. I am not one of those people who buy guns as Safe Queens. I see no point in it. I prefer older used guns if I can find what I am looking for, but it seems like I can't so I buy new a lot.

schloss":mlizhy13 said:
As far as ammo, I am planning to reload, looking at casting my own bullets, too. I'll check out Bud's sometime soon here. thanks for the replies.
Rolling your own is definitely the way to go. Do you currently load anything else?

Greebe

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
400 rounds of 357 = $200......most NIB 357 revolvers cost $500+
400 rounds of .223 = $160......most NIB AR-15's cost $900+
400 rounds of 22lr = $32.....most NIB .22's cost $250+

It depends on the cartridge. Sure, one can find examples to fit any reasoning and explanation, but the cost of ammo is highly dependent on the cartridge.

Most of the larger capacity centerfire rifle ammo is far higher than factory loaded .45 Colt. Factory loaded 7mm Rem Mag ammo is around $2 per shot now ($800 per 400 rounds), and rifles chambered for it can be bought for half that amount.

In general though, your statements are pretty close. If the cost of the firearm is a preventative factor, then factory ammo will likely become a factor if the shooter uses it.

Handloading solves that to a great extent, but does require the initial investment for the equipment if one doesn't already have it.

Daryl

schloss

Single-Sixer
I currently just reload for my 308 Win, but I'm also set up for 9.3x62, but I just don't shoot that very much. The plan is to get set up on 357 also, but if I can get into a 45, the 357 may well get set aside (prefer the feel of a single action).

Greebe, what got you to move from Nome to WV? I just moved back down to WI this summer, and I'm trying desperately to get moved back up to Alaska right now.

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
I searched for this short-barreled Old Model .45 convertible for a long while, and finally found it a gun show about 3 years ago. It's one of my favorite sidearms. There's nothing on this continent that a heavy-loaded .45 Colt can't handle, and this one will take the ultra-heavy loads. With cowboy loads, it's a pussycat, and the ability to shoot the more economical .45 ACP rounds is a big bonus. In my opinion, the Old Models have never been equaled in quality by Ruger. They feel right, shoot tight, and handle like a real single action should.

blackhawk45.jpg

dougader

Hunter
You could check gun broker, too. I just sold a NIB Stainless 4-5/8" 45 Colt Blackhawk for $455. Used ones are on there for less.