How does the AR-556 stack up against the competition?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cyphertext

Bearcat
Doc Mark said:
Good Evening, All,

I've made up my mind, and sad to say, Ruger is off the table, when it comes to an AR platform rifle. For me, I'll save my coin until I can afford one from Fulton Armory, Colt, or Bushmaster. I'll continue to cherish my older SS Ruger Mini14 Ranch Rifle, as it's perfect in every way, and came that way right from Ruger. "Those were the days", eh?? I have lots of Ruger revolvers (double action and single action) and a SS .30-06, plus several 10-22's, and nary a single problem with any of them. But, this recent spate of poor machining and manufacturing has put me off Ruger, at least for now. Many thanks to DGW for passing along this very important information. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

You may want to do a whole lot more research... I've never seen anything positive posted about a Fulton Armory AR... actually, all I have ever seen is that they are way over priced. Many "hard core" AR enthusiasts would rate Bushmaster right there with Ruger also.

I wouldn't write the Ruger off due to a few posts on a Ruger forum about issues, but at the same time, I wouldn't purchase the Ruger AR556. If I am going to buy in the budget category, my money would be on the S&W M&P 15 Sport. Very good rifle for the money and has been out a few years with a solid reputation.

If you want something above the budget line, Colt is a solid choice, for obvious reasons. I also would look at BCM... built to the same or higher standards as Colt, with many more configuration options available. You may be able to find something to your liking in between those price points from Windham Weaponry.

Full disclosure... I have both a M&P 15 Sport, and a BCM, as well as a CMMG AR 15. The CMMG had an issue where magazines would not drop freely and required force to remove. They took care of me, but I had to bulldog them to get them to fix the issue.

I have had my Sport for several years and have not had an issue with it. It is my go to, bang around hog hunting rifle. Throw it in the back of the truck, or on the 4 wheeler... gets covered in dirt and dust and keeps on firing. Would not feel under armed if using this rifle for defense.

The BCM I have is a BCM upper with a Spikes Tactical lower that I built for my son. (Franken gun) Has all the good "mil spec", must have features of a proven "battle rifle"... but honestly, I can't say that it does anything better than my Sport. It hasn't proven to be any more accurate, nor "more reliable", as my Sport has been 100% reliable in my use so far.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I recently had the same thoughts as the OP, Me being frugal and not needing the top of the line AR decided to build my own. Picked up a new stripped lower for $52 plus the ffl transfer and a complete upper kit from www.surplusammo.com ar-15-rifle-kits for less than $400. Other than sights i'm into it for less than $500 and I know how to put one together now. Rifle shoots as well as I need it to.