How Do You Use Moonclips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
No, I don't mean how to load cartridges in them, or load them into the revolver or eject them. I mean the in between stuff. Like, how do I get to the range and back without loosing them; and how do you carry them on your person awaiting your need to use them?

I just bought a 9mm SP101 2.25". I got it because the SP101 is the only Ruger model revolver I have not yet owned, because modern bullet construction and design has made me a 9mm fan, and because with ammo so expensive and in short supply I have more 9mm reloading components than any other cartridge. I also bought it because I really like the way this revolver looks and feels and shoots. And despite lots of negative internet stuff I have read about 9mm revolvers, my particular revolver is very accurate and hits to POA out to 15 yards, and not far off out to 25. I also like its trigger. It is very heavy, and not awesomely smooth yet, but it already is smoothing out from dry firing and live firing, and seeming to be less heavy the more I fire it; just exactly like every GP100 I have owned and I love a broken in GP100 trigger.

But dang it, I can't seem to find a handy place in my range bag, or my pockets to keep the moon clips, either empty or loaded and the cartridges don't seem to be all that secure in the clips to just stick the loaded clips into a jeans pocket.

hittman

Staff member
I have a 9mm Speed Six.
On a range trip I also carry a 30 cal ammo can with the ammo, moon clips and tool.

If the moon clips are not loaded they're in a zip lock bag in the ammo can.

Right now for example, the moon clips are all loaded and in the ammo can with the additional ammo and tool.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I put them in my pocket....Sometimes I put them in a zip-lock bag and THEN put them in my pocket.

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
I use a few different handguns that use moon clips. A couple of them are competition guns. I use the Dillon "Border Shift" ammo bags. One side,, loaded clips,, while the other side,, a mooner & de-mooner. As I shoot them up, I put the shot moons in the "empty" side.

If I have the desire to carry one for SD,, I have a couple of spare individual moon carriers I can slip on my belt.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thank you guys for the helpful tips. I guess they aren't as fragile as I thought.

contender

Ruger Guru
Oh, abuse can cause bent clips. But they are fairly strong,, and as long as you don't abuse them they work fine. Now,, I have seen plastic ones,, that I personally prefer to avoid.

I have one of those rectangular plastic food boxes, and it's see through. I keep the moon clips and all the accessories, loaded and de-mooning tool all together. It stays in the range bag and keep the clips flat.

The clips are too expensive to lose or get broken.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
I have a 1917 S&W in .45ACP that I bought many years ago. I bought a large number of full moon clips to use with it.
One day I found a couple of boxes of .45AutoRim cartridges at an auction and tested them in my revolver.
Then I bought a supply of new .45AutoRim brass and reloading dies.
Then I put those full moon clips in the bottom of an ammo box and never used them again.

I really like shooting .45AutoRim in my 1917. I put some Houge finger groove grips on that revolver and carry it when I am hiking in southcentral Pennsylvania on the state game lands. More than sufficient for the occasional groundhog or other target of opportunity.

sjs

Single-Sixer
I like that plastic food box idea. Time to raid the kitchen.

Blackhawk, I roamed the PA state game lands for 30 years before moving south but I spent my time mostly in the southeastern part of the state.

brutus

Bearcat
Like Kevin said I have a flat plastic compartmented container from Joann Fabric. Loaded moon clips fit into the compartments and the demooner tool as well by taking out 2 spacers between the compartments. This allows me to bring 96 rounds all loaded in the moon clips and it fits in my shooting bag perfectly.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I use boxes from the Sporting Goods section of Wal-Mart used for fishing hooks. I can put 20+ moons in the box and all are separated so that they will not bend. I carry 2 boxes for a normal shoot.

Once I need them on my belt for a match I use North Mountain holders from RevolverSupplyCo.com.

Dale53

Blackhawk
As far as I am concerned, here is THE answer for loaded and unloaded moonclip storage and transport to and from the range:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/534591-loaded-moon-clip-storage.html

FWIW
Dale53

I have quite a few moon clips. I usually load them all and leave them loaded. When going to the range I put what I think I'll use in my range bag, in a big pocket. After firing I wait until I get home at which point I use the demooner and mooner tools to load them backup.

For carrying on my person I have three holders that attach to my belt. Since I usually carry cross, they are on the left side just ahead of the hip. If I need more that 24 rounds it's time for an air strike.

NVSeabee

Bearcat
sjs said:
No, I don't mean how to load cartridges in them, or load them into the revolver or eject them. I mean the in between stuff. Like, how do I get to the range and back without loosing them; and how do you carry them on your person awaiting your need to use them?

I just bought a 9mm SP101 2.25". I got it because the SP101 is the only Ruger model revolver I have not yet owned, because modern bullet construction and design has made me a 9mm fan, and because with ammo so expensive and in short supply I have more 9mm reloading components than any other cartridge. I also bought it because I really like the way this revolver looks and feels and shoots. And despite lots of negative internet stuff I have read about 9mm revolvers, my particular revolver is very accurate and hits to POA out to 15 yards, and not far off out to 25. I also like its trigger. It is very heavy, and not awesomely smooth yet, but it already is smoothing out from dry firing and live firing, and seeming to be less heavy the more I fire it; just exactly like every GP100 I have owned and I love a broken in GP100 trigger.

But dang it, I can't seem to find a handy place in my range bag, or my pockets to keep the moon clips, either empty or loaded and the cartridges don't seem to be all that secure in the clips to just stick the loaded clips into a jeans pocket.

I picked up two low profile moon clip holders that conceal very well from http://jeffreycustomleather.com/MoonClip-MagazinePouchsAccessories.html
I use this for my LCR9. It works great. For range bag and ammo can use I use pill bottles of a similar diameter. It also works well for holding the empties until they are de-mooned.