How do you throw light loads...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have some Berrys HB wadcutters. Wanted to load 3.2 grains of Titegroup or 3.5 grains of Universal. I went to my trusty (up until now) Lee auto disc loader. The smallest cavity, .30, dropped too much Titegroup. So I said okay, I will just use the Universal. But...almost every time the first drop would be 3.9 and the second around 1.5 to 2. I kept getting the odd very light drop. I thought of Universal as a fairly dense powder that meters well. Is it that it just does not like the small diameter, deep cavity in the auto disc? Or is something else going on here. I loaded last week with 4 grains of Universal and got pretty good drops with the slightly larger cavity. I checked and it looks like the measure is getting full movement.

Okay, I guess the question is, what powder measure do I need to get good drops of very light loads of Titegroup or Universal. Preferably though a charging die.

recumbent

Buckeye
You could use the Titan micro disk in your lee auto disk.
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-powder-handling/titan-micro-charge

mikld

Blackhawk
One of my most accurate powder measures is the Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

That much variation with Universal is not normal. I'd look at user methods. Then make sure powder measure is clean inside and out. If using the measure mounted on a press check all the actuating hardware...

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Thank you both for your replies. Very informative. I had not heard of Titan reloading.
I fixed the problem with the Universal. Not sure what the problem was. I took it apart and put it back together and started over and got reliable drops. I am now getting pretty good 3.5 grain drops.

I also have a Lee Auto Drum. I tried it with the small charge of Titegroup. It seemed to work fine. Maybe plus or minus .1 grains in a bunch of weighings but mostly right on. Some how I thought the auto disc would be better for small charges.
I like the Titan micro disc but probably will not order one since I do not do this kind of load much, at least not yet. And the Auto Drum seems to be okay. I do have the micro disc bookmarked in case I change my mind.

I am going to shoot the 50 shells I reloaded today before I make up my mind about equipment. Some time next week. I hope to like this load.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Use the auto drum. It runs rings around the auto disc. I've used it for the same load of Universal you mentioned, and got consistent results with it.

IIRC, I had some problems with my AutoDisc and certain powders. I used a lot of TiteGroup so it may have been with that.
My problem seemed to stem from the relative "abruptness" (for lack of a better term) during the powder drop action. Due to drag or wear or ???, sometimes the cavity wouldn't move fully over the drop tube leaving a portion of the powder in the measuring cavity. Of course, this resulted in a variable "light charge".

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Looks like you found the problem. One thing that helped cut the error in my lighter drops was to bolt the powder measures, an RCBS Uniflow and a Lee Perfect, solidly to the top of my loading bench. Previously I'd C-clamp them, sometimes to something not as heavy or sturdy. I guess there was still enough vibration or wiggle to cause errors.

Rick C

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Once set I still weigh every tenth throw. As the powder goes down in the hopper the amount gets less due to less pressure/flow of powder? Glad you got it figured out.
gramps

recumbent

Buckeye
gramps said:
I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Once set I still weigh every tenth throw. As the powder goes down in the hopper the amount gets less due to less pressure/flow of powder? Glad you got it figured out.
gramps
You need this baffle, I use one and it works great.
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-powder-handling/titan-round-powder-baffle

Small loads I like weighting every single one. Comes out of my uniflow
into the pan and set it on the scale. Surprising how accurate it throws the powder!
Also makes me feel better weighting them!