How do you store your revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodybr549

Bearcat
I have a few Ruger single actions. Some are stainless and some blued. What would be the best way to store them. Should I leave them wiped down and boxed or is there a better way? Thank you.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
Blued or Stainless, I always wipe them down with Hoppe's #9 when I put them away. They are all stored upright in a safe w/ a Goldenrod. I've done it this way for years and never gone to any of the "new" gun solvents, #9 has never failed me. Other than a few "special" Rugers, that stay in the cases, the rest of the cases are stored else where, they take up to much room in the safe.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have more than a couple. So I wipe mine down, then slip them in silicone gun socks, and store them in my safe where a golden rod keeps the humidity in check.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I keep the "boxed" guns in their boxes. Boxless guns are propped up with a 1/2" dowel through the trigger guard and placed on the shelf in the safe.

G-96 coating on each and every one.

flatgate

woodybr549

Bearcat
Thanks for your help. I have heard of different ways and just wanted to see how the forum members kept their guns nice.

GP100man

Buckeye
+1 for g-96
good solvent !!
for long term storage i put a layer of tetra gun lubricant on all the blue guns & parts on SS guns.

GP100man

J Miller

Blackhawk
No safe or queens here. All my guns are working guns. I store them in plastic foam lined gun cases. But I wipe them down with Industrial PCL made by Break Free.

Nope, no rust either.

Joe

BwBrown

Bearcat
While I strive for a "complete assortment", I am not a "safe-queen collector." All mine are shooters.

Two or three live in holsters, are used, checked, oiled very regularly.

The rest, nearly a dozen, rest in foam hyscore "racks" in the safe. They too are oiled,wiped down regularly.

I keep a soft cloth lightly soaked in light gun oil in a quart jar right on a shelf beside the safe - always there in case of an emergency fingerprint!

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have a golden rod in my safe but the darn thing stopped working so I resorted to leaving my Incandecent rope light on in the safe. It serves the same purpose, just a little heat so it is warmer in the safe then outside to keep the humidity in check. I also have a couple canisters of desicant in there that I check every now and then to make sure they are not turning pink to indicate I am getting humidity or they need to be recharged in the oven.

I am a Ruger box buyer and guns I buy that don't have boxes I work on collecting boxes to store them in. Especually the inexpensive grey plastic boxes. My self defense pistols sit upright in an oak rack with loaded mags next to them just in case I had to open the safe to pass out extra pistols --- I always have my Glock 19 loaded and on me.

I should replace the goldenrod or call and check if they will fix or replace it. It is only about 3-4 years old but now I don't feal I can trust it so I use the lights to do the job.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
All very good ideas above! Personally, I have never used a Golden Rod. Just never got around to it. Some of the guns in the safe simply hang on protected hooks. Others are in boxes or holsters. Some are wrapped in a rag. Rifles and Shotguns are setting in a rack. Everything that goes in the safe has been cleaned and oiled for it's next use. I have never had any problems with this method as the whole house is humidity controlled to a point. Works for me!.....................Dick :wink:

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Store mine in the nice plastic boxes they came in with gun socks on them, and orderd the same plastic boxes from Ruger for my old ones, this way they stack up in the safe

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Mine all get a good wiping of gun oil now and then kept inside a good safe in an air conditioned house.

I am thinking if they average 50 or so years old and still look new....that method works just fine for all intents and purposes.

With mine, I wipe down good with the oily rag, and lay them in the box with a piece of wax paper around it. This simulates the factory paper and keeps the oil on the gun from staining or soaking into the cardbox box. On unboxed guns, I store in silicone gun socks or proped up for some of the less fortunate. They are all in the safe with the dehumidifer packs and heater rod.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Fortunately I am in the west, where moisture is generally not a problem, at least I have never experienced that. Wipe down lightly with Brownell's Rust Preventative #2, and store on shelf or in the box in safe. No goldenrod, no need.

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
I always wipe down, after touching or handling, with silicone soaked tube sock. Then put them in silicone gun sock and store in gun rug.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I store mine in the gunsafe on a foam bedding with a light coat of Hoppes #9 gunoil. I stored them for 9 years without taking them out of the safe in an ocean environment and no de-humidifier and had not the slightest trace of corrosion.

Now, of course, they are all working guns. But I store them all the exact same way.

DakotaElkSlayer

Bearcat
I store mine in a wood pistol cabinet that is mounted on my wall in the gun room. Glass door so I can always look at 'em without getting them out.

Jim

A

Anonymous

I just wipe mine off with one of the treated gun cloths, then they go in a treated gun sock and into the safe. The "treated" in most products is silicone, I imagine.