How do you store your ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

comfun1

Bearcat
I have accumulated 5,000 rounds of 22 ammo. I saw someone here say that they keep theirs in "dry storage". What does this mean? This is enough ammo to last me for years to come but if it has a limited lifetime I will try to shoot it up quicker. Anyone know anything about the lifespan of ammo? Would it last any better in a deep freeze?

810wmb

Single-Sixer
:wink:

in the belly of bad guys!!!!!!!!

just someplace dry - i keep mine in the house. i have a small table/cabinet. the cabinet part is full of ammo. it stays a constant temp, no sweating, etc.

i'm assuming it will last forever.

i don't know about out in a storage building, etc. i'm not sure with the temp changes if sweating would be an issue.

contender

Ruger Guru
Cool dry storage in even temps will be the best.
A freezer is not the recommneded place.
I have ammo that occasionally comes out of dark places in my gun room that I loaded back in the early 1980's. It's been in plastic ammo boxes,, stored in my home,, and shoots just fine. I have seen military surplus ammo that was 50+ years old fire just fine as well. Shelf life is good if stored properly.
Now, allow moisture, or major temp changes to happen & corrosion will attack the brass, and it can leach inside the cases & cause issues.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

After it's been locked in metal ammo cans in the back of dark closets--w/ or w/o a/c, it's pretty dry here--I've shot commercial ammo (both rimfire and c/f) that's 30+ yrs old and it might as well have been made last week. Oldest reloads I have are dated '88/'89 and are also still top notch.

I've shot some of that 50+ yr old milsurp, too, and it's been a crapshoot: some was great, some pretty bad to horrible. But considering the storage conditions it probably saw, I'm impressed as much of it was as good as it was.

Since I probably won't last another 50 yrs, I'm confident anything I loaded up over the weekend will still be good when they put me in the home...

Rick C

b3337

Bearcat
Some of mine is in a pistol cabinet, some in ammo boxes.Just keep it dry and it will keep a long time.I have some LC69 surplus ammo I shoot in a Garand that shoots fine.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Mine is on an open shelf in my "bunker" with house heat and air and humidity control. I keep a small floor fan blowing 24/7 to keep the air circulating. I have some .22 ammo in my jewelery box that dates from WWII and I'll bet it will shoot just fine if I wanted to try it.

R1150r

Bearcat
I put mine in those MTM Dry Boxes, that look like ammo cans. I toss in a couple of dessicant packs for good measure.

John

Good old 30 cal. ammo cans.

ammo.jpg

Oh, I need to warn you... if using a metal cabinet like this, even a commercial grade one... with fully loaded ammo cans you need to add support to the shelves!

I had to add 3/4" plywood under them all after straightening the whole cabinet back out when the thing kind of collapsed in on itself.

sheepman

Bearcat
22 ammo has a shelf life , but don't think any one has stored any long enough to know what it is. As long as you shoot it up in the next 30 or 50 years it should be OK. In the 70s I shout up some that my Grand Parents had in the 30s (and ammo quality is better today).

meanc

Single-Sixer
5yrs ago picked up a Winchester 62a mfg 1953 with a small mason jar full of 22lr. The seller said he bought both the rifle and ammo in 1961 from the previous owner.

Out of about 300rds only 25 FTF.

So that's at least 43yrs right there.

Anyway, I empty the bulk boxes into quart size ziploc bags and put those in an ammo can.

roca7

Bearcat
picked up some .50 cal ammo can's a few year's ago from armygear.com.
it look's like the price has gone up $3 ea. shipping back then was only $12 and don't know what it is now. i looked around my area at all the army surplus store's, and they were cheaper even including the shipping. i just keep them stacked in the closet. i got the one's in excellent condition and only one had a dash of rust in it, and the seal's were in very good condition.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I preserve each round in argon gas and lock it away in a sealed steel container, behind a 12" vault door, 75 feet underground, at a constant temperature of 74 degrees F with 2-4% humidity and ozone purified air with armed guards at the entry.

Just kidding of course, most of my ammo is in military .30 cal ammo cans. They are waterproof and seal well and they are $7-$10.

rosie

Bearcat
Lots of good advice. I keep mine in a plastic tool carrying case that originally came with a drill and rechargeable battery. I took out the insides and store about 2500 rounds in the remianing empty confines of the case. I keep it in a cardboard-type fruit case IN THE HOUSE (controlled humidity and temperature) that is covered with old newspapers I accumulate before I put them into the recycle bin in garage. At least this way the "pile" looks like a pile of newpapers. If you are going to keep them in house it makes sense to either secure them with extreme lockage or at least camoflauge them in an unobvious manner.

8pointer

Single-Sixer
I bought a cheap stack on gun safe and built plywood shelves for the interior to store ammo on by caliber. Dry, safe, and secure.