How do I know If I'm Ordering an upgraded SR 762

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RobJef

Bearcat
Hello. I'm new to this forum, and need help from the older experienced Ruger hands. I am very interested in purchasing a new upgraded version of the SR 762. I have read a lot about this rifle and realize it has gone through some major upgrades since it's development. I plan on ordering my rifle online and need to know how I can insure that I get a rifle that has been fully upgraded to the new trigger and all the other improvements. It kind of makes me nervous to think that I might possibly order with the intention of getting a rifle manufactured within the last year, but upon receiving it finding out that I got one that is one of the originals that's been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. Can anyone give me some input on this issue? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

peyton

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum, I have to warn you Ruger's are addictive. I don't have an answer, do you plan on getting it from Gunbroker or one of the big retail guys online? The reason I ask is that you should be able to contact the seller and see what the manufacture date is. That is if it is printed on the box somewhere.
Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

RobJef

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome. At the moment I'm considering my purchase from Bud's Gun shop. I engaged in a quick chat online with them about this issue and they seemed to indicate that unless Ruger had modified the model number to reflect the upgrades, that they really had no way of knowing although they offered that they normally have such a large turnover of weapons that they should have the latest on hand. In an email to Ruger, they responded that they did not change the model number in any way. Thanks again.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well that's not entirely true. The Ruger site shows the sr762 with the old lower, but they now come standard with the the much nicer Elite lower. If you order from Davidsons I think you'll get a newly manufactured piece.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
On something like this holding it in your hands at your LGS before plunking down your hard earned $$$ can be worth the slight increase in price.

hittman

Staff member
Unless I misunderstood what you said about Bud's it sounds to me like they don't know which model they'll send you. :?: :?:

Not acceptable to me but ..... everybody's got different standards. It's not like we're talking about a $500.00 AR here ..... this is an expensive gun!

I too would pay more to know for certain what model I'm getting and to hold one and fondle one before I let 'em swipe the credit card.

And welcome to the forum!

RobJef

Bearcat
What I did was ask Bud's if they had any way of verifying that they were sending an updated model or not. Their reply was the only way was if Ruger had actually modified the original model number in some way to reflect the upgrade such as a dash and a suffix like S&W does. So then I wrote to Ruger and asked them if the model number had been modified in any way for the upgraded rifles and they said no. I thought about asking Bud's if they could tell me if there is a manufacturer date on the box and if they would give it to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any special attachment to Bud's other than their price is approx. $200-250 cheaper than my local stores. Maybe I should just call Ruger and talk to their customer service to see if they have a solution.

rangerbob

Buckeye
RobJef, I just checked 3 distributors in stock SR 762 rifles . They all are showing it to be #5601 as the SKU number. All 3 had a few rifles in stock, and you are correct, they are not cheap. Maybe this will help. Bob!! :D