How Common are the M77 7.62X39s?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MagnumM56

Bearcat
I had a Stainless one of these-and it had to go out of the collection-I thought I would never come acoss another and to my surprise happened upon a blued one with the newer Synthetic stock-how many of these were made in the blued and how many in thwe Stainless-I figure they are not in the catalog and am curious to know If there are a lot of these floating around out there.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I'm no expert on the M77's but I did a quick scan of my RENE Reference guide & couldn't find any listings for a M77 in that caliber. I did find listings in the M77 MKII series of guns in 7.62 X 39 cal.
From what I found just by scanning it, (NOT seriously researching it,) I did see some variations of different models that were scarce to rare. Others are not as rare. For instance a Special Distributor model, (Davidson's) M77RP MKII only had 62 of them in that caliber. Then an unknown quantity of them in the M77RPDLX MKII were produced for Davidson's as well. The KM77RP MKII was also done for Davidsons had about 1217 manufactured. Also the KM77RLP MKII was made in about 1000 units for Davidsons as well.
All this above was what I could find while skimming the info. I can easily miss something and not be complete in my info here. I hope this helps a bit.

hanson8

Bearcat
Hi,I worked as a gunsmith for Peterborough Guns - later bought by Davidsons of Prescott,Az and prevoius to Davidsons, we did import quite a few 7.62x39 mod. 77's.We shipped a lot of them to our customers in the Arctic.

TWalker

Bearcat
Mine is a blued MKII with the "boat paddle" All-Weather stock. What model designation is this variation? Thanks for any information.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, the M77RP MKII has the zytel stock, rings, and no sights. The M77RPDLX MKII has rings, no sights, and a deluxe stock. So, most likely yours is the M77RP MKII model.