How come I never see any chatter about the #1 in 204?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Guessing there was little interest in the combo as CDNN had a bunch selling for < $600 a while back. Don;t know for sure, they may still have some but have not seen a recent catalog.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I think part of it is that that phase of small/fast has run it's course for a while and the market is more geared towards other areas. Seems to come and go.

coyote

Single-Sixer
i suspect we don't hear much about for at least two reasons:

- cartridge is disproportionate the size of the firearm (as in, small actions for small cartridges and large actions for large cartridges).

-its a hi-tech modern cartridge made to fit a traditionally-designed classic looking & handling rifle

BlkHawk73

Hunter
coyote said:
i suspect we don't hear much about for at least two reasons:

- cartridge is disproportionate the size of the firearm (as in, small actions for small cartridges and large actions for large cartridges).

Awful lot of hoopla over the coming .308 #1A though. Short action cartridge... I do have to agree...the 31 while a great design is at it's best with the long action & magnum length cartridges.

coyote said:
-its a hi-tech modern cartridge made to fit a traditionally-designed classic looking & handling rifle

This I do agree with completely. Yet they bring it out in the RCM cartridges and such.

ddixon

Bearcat
I have a #1-V in 204 and a 77 MII All-weather Ultralight in 204 both are very accurate. The #1-V has shot 5 shot groups are under 0.3 inches at 100 yds with hand loads and the 77MII has been shooting 0.5 - 0.6 inch 5 shot groups. Ruger can obviously produce a good 204 barrel so I would think the #1-A 204 has a very good chance of being a half minute rifle or better with handloads. BTW both of my rifles show a preference for Sierra 32 gr Blitzking bullets and H322 powder.

David

picketpin

Buckeye
No but I own a #1 "V" and a #1 "AB". The "AB" is same if the same barrel profile and length as the "A" barrel less the sights and the Alex Henry Forearm.

I've removed the semi beavertail forearm and installed an Alex Henry forearm so I guess this is another "AH" I also have the same rifle in 223. In this barrel length and configuration they make perfect walk around light varmint rifles. The advantage to the the 204 AND the 17 Remington is ZERO recoil add ed to the incredible velocity. They are certainly as accurate any light bullet cartridge. They are also pretty cheap o shoot, don't use much powder.

My 204 "V" is fast AND accurate.

The 204 was made in a lot of configurations to start but over time Ruger has discontinued most due to sale. The only one still cataloged is the "B" and I understand the "B" has been dropped for 2011.

Does it need to be in a smaller package. Maybe. I suspect the demise of the "A" and "AB had to do with who wants a pure varmint cartridge in a rifle with sights, not many serious varmint shooters. Weight in the "V" with the 26" barrel makes it a plus.

While the 204 is a NICHE cartridge it being chambered by most major manufacturers. In fact it is more popular and sold more widely than many/most of the other proprietary cartridges, especially Rugers offerings.

If I found an "A" for $600, I'd buy it. I paid $685 for my 204 "AB"

Ross

picketpin

Buckeye
Oh, as far as "chatter". It's been out long enough and fits a narrow enough niche that guys either have already purchased one or more ar never will because it simply doesn't fit a niche in their personal rifle battery and nevr will.

If you'd like a "Light" one try a Sako AI action with the carbon fiber stock, in 204 Ruger..

RWT

picketpin

Buckeye
Oh, as far as "chatter". It's been out long enough and fits a narrow enough niche that guys either have already purchased one or more ar never will because it simply doesn't fit a niche in their personal rifle battery and nevr will.

If you'd like a "Light" one try a Sako AI action with the carbon fiber stock, in 204 Ruger..

RWT

Con

Bearcat
BlkHawk73 said:
Awful lot of hoopla over the coming .308 #1A though. Short action cartridge... I do have to agree...the 31 while a great design is at it's best with the long action & magnum length cartridges.

I feel that the 1A is the perfect platform for short cartridges ... 308Win included. But the remainder are better suited to longer cartridges, primarily because of the 24" barrels.
Cheers...
Con

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
All right! Now we're lifting off. (Chatter wise) Nothings been said about the diminutive little cartridge's propensity to not ricochet. Seems like a good pickup gun for those wary coyotes, badgers, foxes, and short-tailed chicken stealing cats!

BTW We still haven't heard from an actual owner of a 204 1-A!! Wuzzup w/that???

picketpin

Buckeye
You don't see anybody answering regarding the "A" in 204 for the same reason it was discontinued, it isn't/wasn't very popular and they didn't sell very many. The only guys I actually know that bought the "A" after it was discontinued and blown out by the wholesalers were collectors that bought one for their collections and more for trade stock later down the road when they become scarce.

I could have purchased an "A" for exactly what I paid for my "AB from the same seller but it made ZERO sense to have it in a 22" barreled rifle WITH sights that were never going to be used and that were going have to be accomodated for whatever scope was going on it.

Hence for a walk around shooter the "AB" sans sights made a lot more sense. You give up a few 100 fps over the "B" or the "V" with their 26" barrels but you are still driving a 35grainer at 3600+ fps.

I'm not sure ricochete is an issue that any of us worried about when we bought our 204s. Lots of things out there with light frangible bullets serve that purpose just fine.

The advantage to the 17 center fires and the 204 is SPEED and ZERO recoil. You can see your bullets hit hence you don;t need a spotter. That said it and the other smaller caliber light bullet cartridges are very very specialized and in reality are 250 yard rounds and on in. MUCH past that and they have shed enough velocity that energy is WAY. The BC is low enough that once they shed that velocity drift becomes a very serious issue.

Years ago I shot the rifle course course with my #1 "B" is 17 Remington with 30 grain Bergers driven at 4000 fps.

It would blow a hole right through the chickens and knock them back 2 feet. If you hit the javelina in the top inch of the back it would fall off the rail, slowly. If you managed to hit the turkey within 1/4" of the top of the head, it would turn SLOWLY and slide off the rail, MOST of the time. I don't remember ever hitting the ram.

The small calibers, 14s, 17s, 19s and 20s are NOT long range varmint cartridges and I not consider any of them as coyote rifle much past 200 yards.

By the way once you go past the 35 grainers in the 204, recoil actually starts to become an issue and the heavier for caliber bullets WILL carry your eye off target with any scope over about 10x or so. Like I said the niche in which it fits is VERY narrow.

I personally don't consider it a good all around varmint cartridge and would never recommend it to the beginer/novice.

Ross

picketpin

Buckeye
Con: The sad part is that there are very very few #1s with a barrel length being made per the 2011 catalog that have a barrel longer than 22". Ruger in it's infinite wisdom has discontinued everything with a 26" barrel with the exception of the 300 H&H and I suspect once stocks of that are sold off that the 26" barreled #1 will be gone.

For me besides the rifle itself the advantage to the #1 was always that you could use a 26" barrel and have a rifle the same length as a 22" bolt gun.

This whole shift to sighted, short barreled #1s leaves me cold. The only UP side is that it'll save me a crap load of money.

Only things with 24" barrels are the "H" Tropical rifles and the "V" Varmints.

RWT

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I have wondered if the shift to shorter barrels isn't the brainchild of some beancounting accountant in Ruger's front office; a shortsighted (excuse the pun) attempt to save a few pennies and curry favor with the execs.
The 1S 300H&H is a nice rifle in an interesting cartridge, but I probably won't be buying one unless I find a used one at a good price sometime in the future. The rest of the line-up, with the exception of the 1As in 308 and 460 S&W leave me yawning too. I finally "pulled the trigger" on a 30-30, so the possibility of a 1A 308 is now fairly remote for me.
If Ruger reintroduced the AH in some interesting cartridges (250 Sav. as one example), it would certainly spark my interest. But then, I'd also like to see a 28" "VH" in 32-40 or even 8.15x46R ;-)
LC