How accurate is your 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

joshheat25

Bearcat
Just wondering how accurate is your 10/22 I went to the range and shot a group of 5 slightly larger than a dime from 50 yards. my gun is stock other than a scope and buttstock.
50 yards off bench
DSC03154.jpg

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
This is 30 shots. CCI mini-mag ammo at twenty-five yards. The rifle was a stock out of the box 10/22 carbine with a cheap 3x7x20 BSA scope, shooting off a shakey rest on a cold, rainy day. The center of the target is 1".

003-4.jpg

This is two seperate groups. The rifle was a 10/22 "Wally World Special, with a 4X32 Bushnell scope. The rifle has had a trigger job. Again a fairly shakey rest. Ammo was Federal Bulk pack from Wal-Mart. Again 25 yards.

001-5.jpg

Both are plenty good enough from what I use a 22 for.

joshheat25

Bearcat
Ruger Packer":2z3smwzk said:
What was the distance??

LOL that would Help HUH. I can't believe I didn't put that in there... 50 yards

Nice groups from your gun at 25yards. I'd like to see what it'll do at 100yards but I feel it's going to open up.. alot

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
joshheat25":15x0s9xw said:
Ruger Packer":15x0s9xw said:
What was the distance??

LOL that would Help HUH. I can't believe I didn't put that in there... 50 yards

Nice groups from your gun at 25yards. I'd like to see what it'll do at 100yards but I feel it's going to open up.. alot

Is it a stock carbine or a stock heavy barrel target?

Snake45

Hawkeye
joshheat25":2y27urt0 said:
Just wondering how accurate is your 10/22 I went to the range and shot a group of 5 slightly larger than a dime from 50 yards. my gun is stock other than a scope and buttstock.
50 yards off bench
DSC03154.jpg
IIRC a dime is about 7/8" and it looks like your group is a little larger than the dime center to center. Call it an even inch.

An even inch at 50 from a "stock" (more or less) 10/22 is pretty good. You can expect 1.5 to 2 inches and I tell people if they find the right ammo and tweak it a little, an inch is possible. So you're doing pretty well there.

What was the ammo? That can make a big difference, too.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My 80's carbine would group around 1.5" with bargain bulk ammo at 50 yds. I expect that's as good as bulk ammo will shoot anyway. I installed a Green Mtn heavy barrel, carefully bedded in a Boyd's stock, and added a few aftermarket trigger parts...Now it'll do -1/2" @ 50 yds with Wolf M/T... :wink:

slowhand

Single-Sixer
Here's a couple from mine.It's a reworked 10-22 with a GM heavy taper barrel.Reworked trigger by me in lammi DSP stock.Shots were at 25 yds.Ammo is listed on the target.Slow
picture197.jpg

picture181.jpg

joshheat25

Bearcat
Snake45":2qkhxsvr said:

I was Using Winchester .22lr subsonic truncated hollow points.

It seems like the subsonic ammo grouped better than my normal High velocity ammo. I plan on doing a test in the future.

joshheat25

Bearcat
Ruger Packer":3834763f said:
Is it a stock carbine or a stock heavy barrel target?

Stock carbine with a 4-16X40 Centerpoint scope. yea I was impressed with the groups I was getting after I sighted in the new scope. I hadn't shot the gun in a while. After some reading decided to buy some subsonic ammo and try it out. turns out it was more accurate.

It is the gun in the middle in the picture

Snake45

Hawkeye
joshheat25":snd8q7rx said:
Snake45":snd8q7rx said:

I was Using Winchester .22lr subsonic truncated hollow points.
I've never shot any of that so can't comment on its accuracy, but 1" at 50 yards with almost ANY ammo is pretty darn good from a stock 10/22. You done good. :wink:

Less than an inch at 25yards with iron sights or the equivalent (0 power) relates to being able to hit a man size target at 500 yards or make a head shot at 250. Of course this would be with something other than 22lr.

Of course to 'qualify' with this you need to do it standing, knelling, sitting and prone.

finding the right ammo for the rifle is the major key.

I think you got it down... in theory you groups would only open up twice as much at 100 yards... but most 22lr ammo gets kind of funky after about 75. So, I would expect the groups to open up to close to 3 inches at 100.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
The target diameter is 1.1 inches, the bull and each band width is .22 inches. So the one big ragged hole is five rounds in less than a half inch. All ten rounds within about 3/4 inch. Fifty yards with Federal AutoMatch (AM22). Some groups better, some worse.

AguilaSuperExpress40Gr.jpg

TALO/Fagen 10/22 with BSA Sweet 22 6-18X40 scope.

IMGP0167RifleRight.jpg

joshheat25

Bearcat
Nice group 5wire. yea thats a nice setup you have there. what length barrel is that?

I am going to have to go to the range again to shoot some other ammo to compare. But it seems like thats the ammo my gun prefers. If I recall correctly the winchester truncated in the highvelocity shot best when I first bought the gun as well.
I also need to get some groups at 100 with the subsonic.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
joshheat25":23ixku59 said:
Nice group 5wire. yea that's a nice setup you have there. what length barrel is that?

Thanks, joshheat25. It's a 20-in heavy spiral forged barrel. The whole rifle is stock and was offered as a TALO Camfour Special.

Chief 101

Hunter
How do I make a stock carbine shoot better. Can I remove the barrel band and freefloat the stock bbl? Has anybody tried that? It's a decent shooter that l can line up on the target quickly with but I have been missing 2 out of 5 targets. Some of the misses are good shots. I don't want to alter the balance and pointability, and I certainly don't want to add to the cost. What do you think. Chief aka Maxx Load

Snake45

Hawkeye
Chief 101":3mgcvohs said:
How do I make a stock carbine shoot better. Can I remove the barrel band and freefloat the stock bbl? Has anybody tried that?
Many have tried one or both of those things with great results. Others, not so much. I tried it with both of mine. Neither showed much difference with the barrel band removed. When free-floated, one shot a little better and the other measurably worse. The "worse" one went back to the factory-type bedding with band and the other one remained floated. But I'm planning to replace the stock on the floated one soon and I'm not going to bother re-floating it, as the difference was so small; it's not worth the effort.

But you never know how YOURS will react until you try it, so go ahead and experiment.

Other things that can pay dividends:

1. Experiment with as many different kinds of ammo as you can find. The differences in accuracy can be stunning, and there is no way to tell what YOUR gun will like best.

2. Make sure your scope is securely mounted, and make sure you have parallax accounted for, either by using an AO scope or by manually adjusting the parallax of a non-AO scope to your testing difference.

If your gun has a heavy, scratchy, creepy trigger (as many late-model 10/22s seem to), a good trigger can have as much effect on accuracy from field positions as almost anything you can do to the gun. (From benchrest, not so much, as you can shoot even a poor trigger fairly well from a bench rest.)

Latest posts