How about inverting an SWC cast bullet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

in the case to get a wide meplate. Besides problems with OAL and pressure issues what else? Or should I just bite the bullet(pun intended) and buy a bullet with a WFN.
gramps

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi, Gramps

Inverting standard HBWCs has been done for years w/ no ill effects I'm aware of. But w/ a SWC, I'd imagine we could add gas cutting to the list of possible problems, w/ all the leading that goes along w/ it. At least w/ the faster powders.

That's judging from some experiments making "pop gun" rifle rounds w/ cast bullets over faster shotshell/pistol powders. Any exposure of the side of the bullet below the neck led to this gas cutting problem, even w/ gas checks. Seating the bullet further out so the gas only acted on the base generally solved the problem.

Dunno if any of that might apply to an inverted SWC, though.

Rick C

cholo,
sorry It is a .430 sized slug. I don't have an wadcutter. I am trying to get by on the cheap. I want something for up close and personal.

Rick, Good to hear from ya. I'd planned on using either 2400 or Red Dot. What I have on hand.

Buck, Yep I expect your right on that one. Ha ha.
gramps

redhawker

Buckeye
Many years ago I loaded up some .38 specials with inverted HBWC as home defense rounds. I figured I wouldn't be using them any further then a few feet if I ever needed them. I took them to the range and they keyholed real bad even at ranges as short as 10 feet or so. Also, they were all over the paper. This was out of a S&W model 19 - 4 inch. I don't remember what the load was I used as it was many years ago.

Cholo

Staff member
gramps, I doubt you'll need much more with a .430 SWC bullet seated properly. I've never used the newer WFP bullets. Old habits die hard I guess. Let me see, if I had a choice to be shot dead center with either of those I'd choose... :wink:

GP100man

Buckeye
Gramps

I cast a Lee 310 gr wnfp , 4th from the rt. how many ya lookin for ???

Will ya need a check??? they shoot fine to 1000 fps with out 1.

What ya got to trade 38/357 caliber stuff , castin stuff & 30-30 stuff ???

102_0245.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
gramps":2zc1q54d said:
I am trying to get by on the cheap. I want something for up close and personal.

gramps
WOW. :shock:

I'm sure glad it's not me facing the prospect of possibly trying to explain this concept to a jury someday. :shock:

Good luck to you, I guess. :?

drew76

Bearcat
Snake45":3f6wpsei said:
gramps":3f6wpsei said:
I am trying to get by on the cheap. I want something for up close and personal.

gramps
WOW. :shock:

I'm sure glad it's not me facing the prospect of possibly trying to explain this concept to a jury someday. :shock:

Good luck to you, I guess. :?

Oh gee, I didn't know they were loaded backward. :twisted:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Predators, up close and personal? I think I'd go ahead and buy some good factory ammo. There's all kinds of good stuff available in .44.

Frankly, I think a .44 SWC loaded as intended will work just fine for you, as it has for others for decades now.

GP100man

Buckeye
Gramps

Shoot me a PM with ya addy & we`ll iron out the details !

Much rather trade for summtin , some .30 caliber boolits maybe , or 06 brass , 38 caliber stuff , I`m easy !!!

Snake45,
Everyone says there is commercial .44 mag ammo out there, but I don't see any on the shelves. My son has bought me a box of 240 gr. sjsp to take and I'll load up some 240 gr. lswc the correct way. I was just wanting something more effective. Gp-100man and I are working on that. I sent a pm.
gramps

Tom W

Blackhawk
Back when I was young and bold, I loaded a bunch of .357 cast swc bullets from a Lee mold backwards and shot them through my Security Six with no problems at all.

Ok gp100man. I sent an e-mail cause I struck out on the pm's. Thanks for your response. I plan on dropping the 158's in the mail this AM on the way home from work. I enjoyed the conversation via landline.
gramps

Latest posts