Hot dog! I'm getting me a Single-Six! (pics added)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Woohoo!

I sold my 1911 today (since I can't afford to shoot it) as I had the bug to buy me another 10/22 and start working on it. I had everything figured out until no one had a blue 10/22 in stock. I considered a used one I found that already had a different stock and barrel on it, but for some reason my gun was hesitant.

Then I was browsing a local trader board and found a gorgeous Single-Six, 5-1/2" barrel, adjustable sights, both cylinders. I made an offer, a counter offer was made and a deal was done. I'm picking it up tomorrow! I've been wanting one and this one looks awful nice :D

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i own a 1911 and love it .... but it shoots about 1/10th as many rounds as my .22's. the single six is a great revolver. it slows me down a little bit going through ammo, compared to an autoloader (which is a good thing). never jams, and has a great feel.

great accuracy too. as good as any other .22 handgun i own. i had read on various online boards that a single-six was not as accurate as other .22 pistols due to the bore size being made for a .22 magnum .... well, if there's an accuracy difference, i can't tell it. im actually a little off-put, cause i held off buying one for awhile based on what i read (lesson learned!)

the trigger on mine was very stiff when i first got it. it has smoothed up nicely after repeated firing. still not nearly as good as a smith, but then the gun cost about 1/2 the price of a new smith. very manageable trigger after its broken in.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, we understand the feeling of not being able to afford to feed some guns. But I gave up many years ago,,, and just try & keep most of my guns and reload a lot more. The Single-Six will bring a lot of smiles!

wwb

Hunter
ab4ka":5ud7s70z said:
Woohoo!

I sold my 1911 today (since I can't afford to shoot it) .........

One word: Reload

At today's prices - $30/1000 for primers, $20/lb for powder, $70/500 for Ranier Ballistics or Berry's plated bullets, and $7/100 for once fired brass, I can load .45 ACP for just over $9 per 50 (if I prorate the brass over 8 reloads). Current price in stores (if you can find it) is about $20 per box of 50.

The more you shoot, the more you save.... how can you argue with that? Plus, the more you shoot, the sooner your reloading equipment is paid for.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
wwb":3eyia4lw said:
ab4ka":3eyia4lw said:
Woohoo!

At today's prices - $30/1000 for primers, $20/lb for powder, $70/500 for Ranier Ballistics or Berry's plated bullets, and $7/100 for once fired brass, I can load .45 ACP for just over $9 per 50 (if I prorate the brass over 8 reloads). Current price in stores (if you can find it) is about $20 per box of 50.

The more you shoot, the more you save.... how can you argue with that? Plus, the more you shoot, the sooner your reloading equipment is paid for.

You make a good point, but $9 per 50 is still way higher than $2 or so per 50...if you can find 'em. Seems like lately .22 cartridges and primers are just about equally hard to find, and I'm glad I've kept a decent stock over the years of both.

I started reloading back in about 1976, so my stuff is paid for many times over. I enjoy handloading, and it allows me to shoot far more than I could otherwise, but .22 ammo is still cheaper. Heck, just the primers are close to the same price as bulk .22's.

I have two Single Sixes chambered in two different calibers, and neither of them is .22. One of these days I'll break down and buy a convertable.

:)

Daryl

winterwood

Single-Sixer
Living in a rural area, I shoot one of my single sixes or bearcats almost daily. Often I just use CB shorts. It not only keeps my eyes and hands tuned, it is just plain fun. My centerfire guns do not get near the workout. Some of that is due to cost of ammo, but more really due to convenience. I don't need ear protection and I don't have to pick up the brass. I like shooting the larger calibers, but it is nice to simply step out on the deck and plink fifty or a hundred rounds. 8)

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
wwb":1maik967 said:
ab4ka":1maik967 said:
Woohoo!

If I had a place to do it I'd love to. My granddad has offered to show me, and he's said I can use his stuff anytime I want, it's just not too convenient. I'd kill for my own setup, but in a one bedroom duplex there's just so much space and we're packed to the gills now.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
well, I picked it up this morning and couldn't be more pleased. I don't see how it could be in any better shape. According to the s.n. it was made '82-'83. I checked both cylinders and the serial number is matching on them. The only downside is that it doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned, but that will just give me some quality time with it :p
SN850986.jpg

SN850987.jpg

SN850990.jpg

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
winterwood":1otvu9na said:
Living in a rural area, I shoot one of my single sixes or bearcats almost daily. Often I just use CB shorts. It not only keeps my eyes and hands tuned, it is just plain fun. My centerfire guns do not get near the workout. Some of that is due to cost of ammo, but more really due to convenience. I don't need ear protection and I don't have to pick up the brass. I like shooting the larger calibers, but it is nice to simply step out on the deck and plink fifty or a hundred rounds. 8)

my thoughts exactly on shooting rimfire

that's a good looking single-six, and a real good barrel length you chose there

bigbobg

Bearcat
rugerlovah said:
i had read on various online boards that a single-six was not as accurate as other .22 pistols due to the bore size being made for a .22 magnum .... well, if there's an accuracy difference, i can't tell it.

I have read the same thing about convertables being inaccurate.
On a recent trip to the range, I put six Remington Golden bullits into ONE hole at fifteen yards.
That was the exception and not the rule. Most of my groups were around one to one and a half inches.
That showed me that the GUN is capable of outstanding accuracy when I do my part. :)

blkhawk

Bearcat
i had read on various online boards that a single-six was not as accurate as other .22 pistols due to the bore size being made for a .22 magnum .... well, if there's an accuracy difference, i can't tell it.

There is 0.001" between the Mag & LR bullets, .224 for Mag and .223 for LR. So the .22 LR is being shot down a bore that's .001" larger in diameter so it's probably not going to make much difference for short and medium ranges but might have an affect at longer ranges. What MIGHT have an affect is the longer free-bore jump in the cylinder (no rifling) for the LR since it's cylinder is the same length as the Mag's even though it's a shorter cartridge.

FWIW I have a 113XX RSS ( I can not remember the rest of the serial # ) flatgate that was sent back to Ruger in 1959 & had a 9-1/2" barrel put on it & it has very Good accuracy. Old Ruger1441 Who is very good hand gunner himself was very impressed with it. The bore measures the same as the orginal flatgate barrel. The outside is very rough from being from Alaska & being kept in a leather Hunter holster that came with the gun. Love the old gun & I keep it in my shooter box that goes with me on every ride I go on into the mountains or home to Montana.