Hoss makes his first Kill

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FastEd

Hunter
RIVERSIDE, OH, Home of the Air Force Museum
We were all sitting on the front porch and it was just about dark. As usual, Hoss was sitting in his favorite place, silently surveying the area. All of a sudden bam! he was gone. He sprinted out to the side yard and pounced on something running along the fence line and it was fierce!. I heard that guttural growl and I knew something was in trouble. It was a possum and he slung it every way but loose. He had it by the throat. My boy ran out and finally took it away from him It wiggled a bit but then it was gone.

Hoss was very proud of himself, he strutted around and everybody congratulated him. Now he has chased the squirrels around and has also scared the hell out of the neighbor's cat but I think this was his first real victim. So he's a veteran now and we will see how things go in the future. Got him a few extra milkbones too.

nekvermont

Blackhawk
Attaboy Hoss! I bet he was surprised too when all of a sudden he found himself with that possum in his mouth. :lol:

FastEd wrote: " My boy ran out and finally took it away from him It wiggled a bit but then it was gone." as in dead? or as in vamoosed? :shock: :mrgreen: Ya know what I mean by playing possum? Anyway Hoss has acquitted himself as the protector of all that he sees. Biting a possum-bleh!!! putuuii.
gramps

JohnBoy said:
I hope Hoss didn't get bit! I here those crazy 'possum can pack more diseases than Rosie O'Donnel's lunch pail can stow in Twinkies.
Actually that is a myth. They are much less likely to carry rabies then a dog and, other than their smell, are relatively clean animals. They do carry fleas and they will bite it provoked.

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
Fox Mike said:
JohnBoy said:
I hope Hoss didn't get bit! I here those crazy 'possum can pack more diseases than Rosie O'Donnel's lunch pail can stow in Twinkies.
Actually that is a myth. They are much less likely to carry rabies then a dog and, other than their smell, are relatively clean animals. They do carry fleas and they will bite it provoked.

Thanks for the clarification, Fox Mike. I may have been thinking of armadillos. We don't have either of those critters up in my neck of the woods. I suppose looking rat-like doesn't help the 'possum's image. I was not aware 'possum were odiferous.

Mega Twin said:
If you don't think a possum stinks,just live trap one!
I actually raised one in the house. As a mouse sized critter when we got him he was sooo smart-named him Mortimer. As he got bigger he got dumber it seemed. I finally figured it out. He was born with all the smarts he would ever have, and never got better. Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the possum it could be done! GO GET THEM HOSS! :mrgreen:
gramps