Hornady's new 6.5mm PRC rifle round.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Hornady is introducing a new round called the 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge(PRC). See Hornady's web site for 2018 new products. The PRC is about 200FPS faster than the 6.5 Creedmore with the same bullets. It looks like a shortened 6.5 /284 to me or it could be a whole new case. Amazingly, the ammo is already available, but I have not seen or heard about a rifle for the round. I suspect Ruger will be out with the Precision rifle chambered for it soon! Bob!!! :shock:

egl52

Single-Sixer
I hear that the Remington Short Action Ultra Mag cartridges are very popular in F-class and prone shooting at 1,000 yards, specifically the 7mm RSAUM and necked down variants of it, because they're apparently easy to load for (i.e. not finicky to find accurate loads) and they provide better barrel life than some other comparable cartridges, like the 6.5x284. The suspicion is that Hornady avoided legal issues with Remington by basing the design of the 6.5 PRC on the Ruger Compact Magnum case, which Hornady and Ruger collaborated on a while back, and then moving the shoulder forward marginally. Seems to me like all they did was duplicate the performance of a dozen other cartridges already in existence, but that's never stopped them before, so why should it now? They had a ton of success with the 6.5 Creedmoor, so maybe they'll have another winner here. Heck, even though the performance of the 6mm Creedmoor is duplicated by several other cartridges, I still want one...

rangerbob

Buckeye
Using the RCM case makes perfect sense, since it's an inhouse project. I knew it would have to work with an existing bolt face size. All I had to go on was a few photos. Magazines may be a different story, especially for the precision rifle. Of course, any bolt rifle that was ever a WSM, SAUM, or RCM would just need rebarreling. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Update, Midway has Hornady match and hunting ammo available in 6.5PRC, as well as brass and dies. There must be a rifle out there somewhere. As stated before, the case in the ad for the brass looked just like a RCM necked down to 6.5MM. That would be just right in a #1A. Bob! :mrgreen:

WoodsQuest

Bearcat
I'll be shocked if a Ruger Precision Rifle isn't released for the 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge... just sayin'

gunzo

Hunter
deadduck357 said:
Looks like a good cartridge. Wondering what the barrel life is.

Word on the street is about an 1800 round average for accuracy to noticeably fall off. Not die mind you, just not as good as it once was.