Hornady's FTX in .45 cal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dextreme

Bearcat
Has anyone done any reloading/testing yet with Hornady's Flex tip bullet? I am curious as to how its performing out of Ruger wheel guns.

45215.jpg

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I made a post a long time ago asking much the same question. As I recall, I had one response that indicated OAL was too much - but I've never seen any measurements.

I think it would be a swooft load, contrary to the Keith school of thought. With just 200g of bullet and a nice ballistic coefficient, I can imagine some really fast muzzle velocities out of a Blackhawk. I'm thinking 1400-1500 fps. Should be a nice ballistic profile out to 100 meters.

Dextreme

Bearcat
What I noticed after I started this thread is that Hornady has reloading data for the S&W 460 for the .452 (200gr), yet they offer a preloaded 225gr FTX in LEVERrevolution for .45LC.

92792.jpg

I will send Hornady a message to see what they say about loading the .452 (200gr) for a .45LC sixgun.

J Miller

Blackhawk
The cartridge cases for the Hornady 225gr .45 Colt factory load are shorter than standard cases.

The loaded ammo will chamber in my Uberti Cattleman and S&W 25-5 as well as my OM BH .45 Colt.
The gummy tips do come to the front edge of the cylinder on the Uberti though.

I haven't fired any from the revolvers yet, so I don't know what kind of accuracy I'll get.

Joe

maxpress

Buckeye
J Miller":2eqfy3fz said:
The cartridge cases for the Hornady 225gr .45 Colt factory load are shorter than standard cases.

The loaded ammo will chamber in my Uberti Cattleman and S&W 25-5 as well as my OM BH .45 Colt.
The gummy tips do come to the front edge of the cylinder on the Uberti though.

I haven't fired any from the revolvers yet, so I don't know what kind of accuracy I'll get.

Joe

i thought they seemed a little short but i hadnt got around to messuring them yet. that would make a big difference. are they .44 spl length then?
that would throw the charge vs. pressure off if you tried to load them in a standard case or trimmed a case to lenght