Hornady news - 124grn Critical Duty

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Not to be confused with the Critical Defense round, Hornady has added a new 9mm 124 gr +P round for some reason. It's marginally faster than the older 135grn +P (what I prefer), so I guess folks who like a lighter bullet will like this new offering. Price is the same.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/9mm-p-luger-124-gr-flexlock-critical-duty#!/

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
44Alaskan said:
The lighter bullet and higher velocity may be to aid in expansion on short barrel concealed carry guns.

Hornady Citical Duty 9mm +p 135 grain Gel test with 3 inch Barrel

Possibly, although the 124gr is only a 50fps (reported estimate) increase over the 135gr. Can't see how that would make much difference in a bullet designed to penetrate barriers (glass, car doors, etc.). I haven't bought a box (yet) for backyard comparison. Might do that this spring when it warms up some. Hate shooting in the cold. :)

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I doubt it will make much difference in performence, but I'm sure a large% of buyers are ingrained to.use/ purchase 124gr exclusively.

DGW1949

Hunter
Biggfoot44 said:
I doubt it will make much difference in performence, but I'm sure a large% of buyers are ingrained to.use/ purchase 124gr exclusively.

I suspect that that was the driver for the new offering.
Not saying that it's a bad thing, or even a good thing...

just sayin'.

DGW

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Biggfoot44 said:

I suspect that that was the driver for the new offering.
Not saying that it's a bad thing, or even a good thing...

just sayin'.

DGW

They haven't published any gel test data/video yet, so it's not really possible to determine comparative performance with the 135gr, other than to guess it will meet FBI specs. The 135 gr, and most others, are tested with a FBI spec 4" test barrel, don't know if this one will use the 4", or a shorter barrel.

ETA: Been doing some thinking about this.

The Critical Duty bullet (all calibers) is designed for barrier penetration. 4 factors enter into this. Weight, Bullet shape (CD is more conical than typical HP), Core hardness, Velocity. This 124 gr bullet has all of those, except weight, and it appears to be aimed at shorter (3"?) barrels that may be carried by LE as backups and others who carry compact 9mm, and who desire the penetration performance of the heavier 135gr bullet (intended for full size 9mm).

Hornady has not yet published any gel test data/video, so we can only assume that it will meet FBI penetration specs for terminal ballistics. I think it probably will, which would make it an attractive round for a lot of folks.

Latest posts