hornady ammo in my ruger??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a ruger sp101 3inch 357mag., and a ruger gp100 4inch 357mag. its been hard to find ammo around here lately, so when i went to the store today i was excited to hear the shop owner say i have 357 ammo in. he said its all he can get right now, its 140 grain hornady leverevolution ammo for revolvers and lever guns. he said it gives great performance in revolvers, lots of energy delivery. has anyone used this? and if so how did it do?, he had 8 boxes of it i bought 6, didn't want to get it all in case someone else needed a box or two. it was $19.95 for a box of 25, thanks for any help.

I think you'll find it a little too hot for your SP101. The gun will handle it but I don't think you'll want to shoot it much. It's a great round, developed for Lever-action .357 rifles/carbines for deer out to 100-150 yards. You could also use it for close-in deer from a GP100 or Vaquero. But last resort for the SP101. I'd be interested in first-hand impression from the SP101.

GP100man

Buckeye
the biggest hole i ever put in a deer with a 357 was with a Sierra 140gr hp game king bullet with all the 2400 i dared to put under it .

i think 140gr bullets is a perfect trade between speed & weight!!!!

have`nt shot any of the new leverevolution ammo , but thats my take on the choice of bullet weight they went with. probably as mentioned it`ll be "BLASTY"

GP100man

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its the most accurate commercial 357 Mag load in my two GPs and my Security Six. I've shot pretty much every commercial load and handloaded every bullet I can get my hands on, and the most accurate load is Remingtons 38 SPL +P 125 grain load followed closely by my handloads, but for good PD load, I carry the Hornady LeverEvolution in my guns.

Their 44 Mag load is also very accurate in my Deerfield Carbine and Vaquero.

A

Anonymous

LOL, I'm in the same situation, haven't been able to find any .357 for a while besides the Hornaday stuff. They seem pretty accurate though I only fired six of them. I just like the fancy red tips. :lol:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Probably great ammo but a too pricey for me. I would put that in the same category as premium self defense ammo.
For blasting factory ammo I like Federal American Eagle. BTW you can order it from Midway and other places.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001550710/federal-american-eagle-ammunition-357-magnum-158-grain-jacketed-soft-point

If you use the stock grip on the SP101's it's not very comfortable to shoot. I have 4 of the 3"ers and none have the stock grips. I have Hogue grips, and some Trausch grips. They make shooting magnums, much more controllable.

A friend of mine ordered some ammo a couple of days ago, and called sgammo (great source) and they said things had really been slow, but since Florida they can't keep ammo in stock. Let that be a heads up to you. Ammo is going to go up shortly if this keeps going on. I think I'm going to order some more in bulk. The 38 specials I really like is the 158 grain SWCHP's. But they have really become hard to come by for several months and the price is going up. If anyone runs into some let me know.

9 years, that's pretty wild. Getting current now with the additional comments.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Cholo said:
This thread's almost 9 years old, but probably not a record :) I wonder how they worked out?
Huh, There was an ammo shortage 9 years ago? Who knew? :mrgreen:

yep, it was a handful in the 101 and didn't shoot much, rough but ok in the 100. when obama took office ammo flew off the shelves here and stayed that way till about late 2010.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have a 3" SP101 357 and it shoots 15.0/2400/158jhp accurately , however it feels a little like a bomb went off in your hand when you pull the trigger. The recoil is manageable but the flash and concussion are definitely impressive ! I think I am going to work up some 140 grain loads with medium powder like Unique of Blue dot and adjust the sights to POA at 15 yards. On the other hand the 2400 load can double as a flash bang grenade !

JStacy said:
I have a 3" SP101 357 and it shoots 15.0/2400/158jhp accurately , however it feels a little like a bomb went off in your hand when you pull the trigger. The recoil is manageable but the flash and concussion are definitely impressive ! I think I am going to work up some 140 grain loads with medium powder like Unique of Blue dot and adjust the sights to POA at 15 yards. On the other hand the 2400 load can double as a flash bang grenade !
I like 158 gr JSP/JHP/lswc over 13.5 grs of 2400. Easier on the hand and the gun!
gramps

dougader

Hunter
JStacy said:
If you use Blue Dot, just make sure you use a newer reloading manual, like Speer 14 for your data. My old Speer 11 has some crazy HOT loads listed with Blue Dot that I don't recommend.

wwb

Hunter
Regarding the Hornady Leverevolution bullets.... they work wonders in a .30-30 for accuracy, and judging by the change in trajectory, they don't shed velocity like the old flat-nosed bullets.

When my supply of Speer JSN .44 bullets is used up, I'm gonna try some for my 96/44.

For plinking and practice they're pretty pricey, but they make a great hunting bullet.