Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this. I bought a bottle today. The man said that it would break impurities loose from the barrel & that over time it would build up to where copper, powder residue, lead etc. wouldn't build up on it. I had asked him about what he had that would break lead loose. I have an old Dan Wesson 15-2 that has a lot of lead build up in the barrel from before I got it. I have used up huge amounts of patch cloth-a bottle of Remington 40 X bore cleaner & 3 bronze brushes & it's still there. I am going to try this if anyone has experience with the Hoppes Elite or anything else that would work please post it.

pisgah

Buckeye
I have to admit I have no idea what the "impurities" in the barrel may consist of, but his description of the Hoppe's product is classic. I'm sure it's just as good as just about every other gun oil on the market.

In your gun, you are way past needing to get serious about either mechanical or electro-chemical lead removal. By mechanical, I refer to either the Lewis Lead Remover or a wad of Choreboy pot scrubber twisted onto a tight-fitting bore brush. Both work the same, scraping out the lead with no damage at all to the bore.

The Outer's FoulOut unit is the way to remove every molecule of lead. You plug the chamber, fill the bore with their majik solution, drop a steel rod down the bore attached to a battery, and essentially use reverse electroplating to remove every speck of lead from the bore, one molecule at a time, and deposit it on the steel rod.

Mike J

Hunter
I bought this thing years ago out of a pawn shop really cheap. I wan't really that interested in guns then-I just threw it in the truck loaded up with hollowpoints didn't mess with it much. I'm not going to go into all the details but I loaned it to my Dad. Got it back with a damaged rear sight. A buddy of mine offered to get the sight fixed-took it to a friend of a friend. Life happened & he lost touch with these people. I just got it back a few months ago Out of the 12 years I've owned it it has been in my possession maybe 4 years). I have done the chore boy potscrubber thing. I was just looking for something else to try. It is much better than it was to start with & the gun does shoot fine. I might have to try the outers thing though. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just buy another barrel or let it go.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Hoppe's Elite is the same stuff as MPro7 made by Pantheon Enterprises. It's a water based cleaner with other associated products that complement and follow up on its function:

"At a basic molecular level, M-Pro 7 surrounds the surface of each individual carbon particle with a negatively charged coating causing the carbon particles to repel each other. This forces the carbon particles to break up and separate allowing the carbon and embedded fouling (copper, lead, brass, plastic, etc.) to be easily brushed out."

It gets metal surfaces "molecularly clean". It takes a few repetitions to get to this point. Once clean, all metal surfaces must be lubricated/protected to avoid corrosion. MPro7 makes a gun oil specifically for that purpose. I use it but I also use Breakfree CLP and in the hot places, a dry Teflon lubricant.

Each cleaning cycle is faster and more effective than the previous cycle and tough to clean locations, like cylinder faces, eventually clean pretty nicely although it takes a bit longer to condition the metal with the cleaner.

Mike J

Hunter
5 wire I think he sold me the oil but not the foaming bore cleaner you're supposed to use with it. Oh well-I might try to get some later but as I posted above it is better than it was & shoots well so I may just have to let it go till a little later. I don't know when I'll have the money but I have been thinking of refinishing this thing anyway. When I do I may just see if I can get a new barrel from CZ & do it up right all at once.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Mike J":3sctwwd8 said:
5 wire I think he sold me the oil but not the foaming bore cleaner you're supposed to use with it...
No 'supposed to' involved. The bore cleaner is MPro7/Elite cleaner in a foaming medium. Oil is oil and the MPro7 Gun Oil may be more suitable but as long as you use something to coat the cleaned metal surfaces, you should be OK.

A little cleaner goes a long way, so pick up some when you can.