Honestly, what size groups with S.six with decent ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bamarammin87

Bearcat
Howdy all. I was wondering what size groups yall get at fifteen yards or 20 or so with your single sixes. Are older ones more accurate than newer ones? Reason I ask is I may buy one, but wanted to make sure of about how accurate they are. Ammo brand and range would be great details about your groups too. Pics are welcome! I know nothing about them so any info would be great. Thanks alot guys. Merry Christmas!

mljones1947

Bearcat
bamarammin87":2je45zgb said:
Howdy all. I was wondering what size groups yall get at fifteen yards or 20 or so with your single sixes. Are older ones more accurate than newer ones? Reason I ask is I may buy one, but wanted to make sure of about how accurate they are. Ammo brand and range would be great details about your groups too. Pics are welcome! I know nothing about them so any info would be great. Thanks alot guys. Merry Christmas!

First, Merry Christmas to you, too. I've only been shooting for a few months, so I don't have the mechanics perfected. Shooting a NM Single Six with the 5.5-inch barrel off-hand, I typically put all six rounds in an 8-inch circle at 15 yards at an outdoor range in various wind conditions using either Federal or Remington bulk ammunition. (Do you consider that "decent" ammo?) I'm still working to bring that down.

Cholo

Staff member
My '75 6 1/2" Single Six is more accurate than I can shoot it. I did some tests at the range about 20 years ago. The results @ 25 yds are as follows, all LR hollowpoints and all shot with iron sights over sandbags. It's the average of 6 six shot groups with each brand. Hardly a torture test:

1) CCI--1.84"
2) Winchester--1.7"
3) Remington--2.16"

mljones1947

Bearcat
Cholo":2eox2fqt said:
My '75 6 1/2" Single Six is more accurate than I can shoot it. I did some tests at the range about 20 years ago. The results @ 25 yds are as follows, all LR hollowpoints and all shot with iron sights over sandbags. It's the average of 6 six shot groups with each brand. Hardly a torture test:

1) CCI--1.84"
2) Winchester--1.7"
3) Remington--2.16"

I agree with Cholo that I don't do the gun justice. I have so many personal deficiencies to correct that I've never tried measuring the gun itself. Not to offend anyone, but what's the point if a gun can shoot small groups if the shooter can't :D ?

Cholo

Staff member
That Single Six is my favorite gun. It was the 1st handgun I ever bought and guess who gave me the $ for it? Yup, Uncle Sam! In early '75 the gubment sent me, and probably everyone else, a "stimulus" check for $150.

So what does a college kid with hardly enough $ to put gas in his '69 Nova spend it on? Yup, that SS for $90.25, a holster and enough ammo to last awhile. I wish Obama would give me some $. I'd buy a black rifle and a room full of 30rd loaded magazines. I'd even send him a thank you note!

"...but what's the point if a gun can shoot small groups if the shooter can't ?"

Well, at least we know it's our fault when we miss. We can only say "This gun never did shoot worth a damn" so many times :wink:

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Nope... its a "no brainer." Worldwide nothinmg has ever equaled the populatity of the lowly 22 rimfire. And there've been books, books, and more books written about it.

The 17 is a specialty round and will be for generations to come.

bamarammin87

Bearcat
Yeah. I have a thing for .17 tho...my marlin 93r17 shot .5 inch groups at 100 yards. With a cheap walmart scope! They just seem to be more accurate. BUT I have a marlin model 60, tho won't shoot anywhere near that well, is a blast to shoot too. .22 is alot cheaper, but I have a crush on .17hmr. Only thing is that you must do head shots on squirrel. I once body shot a squirrel with my .17 and it blew him in half, with only skin holding the back half of his body on. I have killed 6 coyotes with it too. Not all of them dropped right there, but none ran more than 40 or 50 feet. Hmmmm. Probably .22 as I won't be shooting 100 yards anyways. Plus it'd be cheaper.

A

Anonymous

My 80' Single-Six convertible with 5 1/2 bbl will just about shoot 'em into one ragged hole @ 15 yds off the sighting vice with a red dot.

IT will most definitely outshoot ME

mattsbox99

Hunter
Mine are more accurate with .22 WMR than .22 LR, but its not a target gun. 1.5" is plenty good at 15 yards for me. Subsonic has been more accurate than High Velocity stuff.

96/44

Blackhawk
My 6.5" NM will shoot around 2-3 inches at 25yds with cheap ammo. It will do slightly better with certain loads, or WMR ammo. I don't expect it to be a target gun, as I have autos for that, but the single six is always in my holster while grouse hunting. It just seems to aim itself at game. For whatever reason, I can't seem to hit a grouse or rabbit with my MKII, even though it groups at least half the size at the range, the single six will easily make a head shot on small game out to 25yds or so.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Not a Single Six, but this might be of interest:

Couple years ago I carefully benchrest-tested five different Colt and Smith DA .22 revolvers (iron sights) with several kinds of ammo. One gun showed a strong preference for Winchester XPerts and would group them into an inch at 50 feet. With that single exception, every other gun/ammo combo I tried grouped between 1.5" and 1.75".

I'd expect a Single Six to shoot right in that ballpark, too.

My OMSS 6 1/2 in bbl groups six .22 LR shots, off a rolled up blanket, at 50 feet, in just a little under 2 inches. The magnum will group even better. As has been said; it will shot better than I am able to hold it. I am picking up my new ( old) NMSS on Monday and I''ll see if the adjustable sight help the accuracy any.

bamarammin87

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I know you gotta be good to see the gun's potential, but the best shooter in the world can't shoot 2" groups with a gun that shoots 6" from a benchrest. Thanks fellas. Probly gunna go with .22 when I get one.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
bamarammin87":2ckfu421 said:
22WM001.jpg