homemade hi-viz sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Emaho

Bearcat
Greetings:

I'm new to the forum and really appreciate all the tips and info I find here. So, I'd like to share one of my own. My interest is in Ruger SA and DA revolvers and MKII taget models.

Like other old geezers, I have trouble with black sight visibility, especially at a poorly-lit indoor range. The fiberoptic front sights on the MKIII hunter are very nice but, being on a retiree's budget, I looked for some less expensive alternative.

What I found was a $0.99 pack of 400 flourescent "color coding labels" in the office supply section at WM. Yellow, green, orange and fuschia (I think?). The labels are 3/4" circles, with very sticky adhesive. They really "glow".

I also found that the front sights on all my guns (Single-Six, Police Service-Six, GP 100 and MK512 Target) are all 1/8" wide. So, using a small pair of straight-blade scissors, and after a bit trial and error, I was able to cut 1/8" strips off the labels and trim the strips to the length of the sight ramp. At first, I peeled the label up and tried to trim it---a mess! Leave the label on the backing, cut all the way across the circle, then use something like an Exacto knife to lift the strip. Leave the strip stuck to the knife and use the knife as a positioning tool. Then, just press it down hard. You can slide the strip around a bit to get it just right.

OK. I know this is far from an elegant solution. But it works for me, and I figure I saved about $150 in the process. I think I got some acceptable results for my guns, which are very nice but essentially shooters and see a lot of use indoors and out. I wish I could include a pic or two, but I'm digitally challenged at the moment.

Now, a request for advice. The way the rear sight blade mounts in all my adjustable sights appears to be identical, as if the blades might be interchangeable. I like the white outline on my GP 100 and wonder if a blade for it would fit my Single-Six (SN 69-936688) and MKII (SN 223-144xx89)?

Thanks for the help. I hope my little sight tip helps someone else.

Bill

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the tip emaho i'll try it the next time i get to the big city and a for real office supply store paint doesn't even work anymore.Mike.

SAJohn

Hunter
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tip. I was aware of the Exacto knife method of delicate work, having watched technical illustrators before the days of PC's.

White outline blades are around that will fit Ruger's. One of the used ones I purchased came so equipped.

John

Emaho

Bearcat
Thanks John. I sort of thought that would be the case. Guess a call to Ruger Parts is in order---unless someone out there has 2 to sell??? I appreciate the note.

Emaho

Bearcat
Thanks for all the tips. I tried nail poish and paint, but it was a mess and I didn't want any lasting damage. With the tape, color changes are easy. Appreciate all the suggestions.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
We made our own thirty years ago with epoxy and flourescent paint (Testor's model enamels) , using bic pen ink tubes and wd-40 as a release agent. Mix up the color epoxy you like, cast a few "bars" of colored compound, and set them into filed grooves or drilled holes in your front ramp and rear blade, etc.

It's not hard to cast some entire blades ala C-More-type front sights, if you have a pin-in front. If you're the type who regularly bumps their sights into hard stuff, experiment with some JB Weld if you need more durability.