Home Made SR9 IWB Holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I guess we'll put this here.

I got bored and I like to make things or build things or just otherwise play around, so I made a holster. I plan on a making a couple more and they will be a bit different than this one but I thought I'd keep it easy for the first one to get some techniques down.

I did make a few mistakes though. For one, I made the pocket to big. That's why in later photo's you'll see the extra row of stitching. I also cut my straps at the wrong angle. I think. I was trying to put a slight cant in it but my straps go the wrong way. Guess I should plan changes in design a little better. They're one piece along with the support for the mouth. I also got it way too wet when I went to shape it. Took many hours to dry enough to actually work with. And, not that it really matter that much, I did my snap connectors backwards (as far as male/female). I wanted them the other way. Oh well. Take notes and move one. Its still drying so I'll finish it up tonight and try it out. I need something for during the week when working long contract hours in places where I can't really carry.

Anyway, here are some pics so far. I'll update later once I complete the project and test drive it.

DSC03724.jpg

DSC03729.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

DSC03740.jpg

DSC03742.jpg

Scott

Single-Sixer
Good lookin' so far - that's the type I'd like to have for my SR9, I think. Keep us updated.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the compliments. It's pretty easy to do, just takes a bit of time. Mostly waiting. Waiting on glue to dry. Waiting on water to dry. Waiting on dye to dry. The hand stitching ain't too bad. Something to do while listening to the radio or the tele. Cutting the pieces can be a pain. Otherwise, it's very much like woodworking. Lot's of tips and tricks out on the net.

I dyed it black, which seems to show every little mark on the leather. I'm test driving her today. It's no Supertuck but it should work well for the work week. Getting tired of wearing an empty holster all day and if you've tried sitting in a car and putting a Supertuck back on, you'll know why I went this route. We'll see here in a few hours how well I can strap back up sitting in the car. Should be very intersting.

DSC03757.jpg

DSC03758.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

WearIt02.jpg

DSC03750.jpg

DevilDog0402

Bearcat
Nice!! How do you mold it to the gun, especially around the trigger guard? Any links to online tutorials?

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
DevilDog0402":t5azu7ce said:
Nice!! How do you mold it to the gun, especially around the trigger guard? Any links to online tutorials?

Here's a good tutorial
http://www.jdlawhon.com/tutorial.html

Basically, just wet the leather down, shove the gun in it, and start pressing the leather into the shape you want. Nothing to it really. I just dip the leather into a bowl of warm/hot water for 10 seconds or so then let it dry out a bit. If it's too wet, it wont hold the shape. I use a shaping/creasing bone to work the leather into a bit more detail. You want to let it dry so that it feels cool to the touch. The gun should come out dry. If the gun gets wet, your leather is to moist yet. You can also just hold it under running water to soften it up. I let it air dry overnight after shaping it. I've heard the leather can crack if you heat dry it. It should stiffen up a lot after it dries. Make sure to water seal it so it stays dry and retains it's shape. Nothing to it. As for the trigger area, I actually work that with my fingers while getting caught up on the Tivo. The leather will stretch pretty good so don't get too crazy. It wont really shrink back very well.

Here's round two. I added a piece of Kydex between the support piece and the body to help hold the mouth open. Works pretty well. I think most of the big guys use a piece of spring steel or something like that.

DSC03762.jpg

DSC03765.jpg

DSC03760.jpg

M'BOGO

Buckeye
DevilDog0402":364we5gr said:

Check out http://leatherworker.net/forum/, good source of information, check under holsters, slings, and sheaths. Also there is a section on sewing that is very good.

A great tool for boning the holster is in almost every house, a sharpie marker, and your fingertips.

Cary

Single-Sixer
Turbobuddha,
Thanks for all the effort you took to share your project here.

M"BOGO,
Thanks for that link. It looks like a good source of information.
Cary

DevilDog0402

Bearcat
Cary":38zfdv9n said:
Turbobuddha,
Thanks for all the effort you took to share your project here.

M"BOGO,
Thanks for that link. It looks like a good source of information.
Cary

Yes, thanks to both of you.