Home made gun oil.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

raw6464

Bearcat
2 parts Dexron tranny fluid.
1 part 10w-40 syn oil.
1 part chain saw oil SAE 30, or STP or Slick50.

The chain saw oil has an additive that makes the oil stick to metal.

While on the oil... 10w as in 10w-40 is not SAE 10 weight. First the 40, the 40 is the SAE viscosity at 212F degrees. The 10w is an indexing number to compare oils with winter additives at 32F degrees... 5w is thinner than 10w is all it's telling you, it has nothing to do the the actual viscosity at 32 degrees... it's probably in the hundreds.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Ed's Red Gun Oil
1 qt Mobile 1 Synthetic oil
1 can STP oil treatment
1 Qt Dexron ATF

I use:
3 parts Mobil I
I part WD-40

:mrgreen:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
wetidlerjr":4467npbw said:
Ed's Red Gun Oil
1 can STP oil treatment
1 Qt Dexron ATF

I use:
3 parts Mobil I
I part WD-40

That may be "a" gun oil, but it's not the classic "Ed's Red". Ed's Red has kerosene and acetone in it, and is more a cleaner/solvent than an oil. Now, someone may have decided to take out the solvents and called the resulting product "Ed's Red Gun Oil", but that's stretching it.

There are lots of non gun-specific lubricant studies floating around the web. Best one I read concluded ATF by itself is a very good quality lube that can be used on firearms without issue (except the smell). WD-40 has actually (and recently) been show to be a good protectant, but not a lube. There is a specific version of Lubriplate grease that is excellent for firearms, but is only available in 20lb tubs.

I've recently played around with using Mobil-1 "oil" and grease. The oil is nice because it has no scent whatsoever. The grease, unfortunately, smells like axle grease, and is a raspberry red color, and if you use too much it gets all over the place.

-- Sam

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":1u7owvuc said:
wetidlerjr":1u7owvuc said:
Ed's Red Gun Oil
1 can STP oil treatment
1 Qt Dexron ATF

I use:
3 parts Mobil I
I part WD-40

That may be "a" gun oil, but it's not the classic "Ed's Red". Ed's Red has kerosene and acetone in it, and is more a cleaner/solvent than an oil. Now, someone may have decided to take out the solvents and called the resulting product "Ed's Red Gun Oil", but that's stretching it....
-- Sam

The formula is not mine (found on the web) and, you might want to notice, was not endorsed or recommended by me. If you want to argue about "Ed's Red" and it's "true" ingredients then you will have to find someone else as I don't use it.

Here is some more info for "Ed's Red" purists:
What's Ed's Red?

Visitors to Adastra are often surprised to find a mural depicting a 16-foot-tall mammoth residing in the barn. The prehistoric beast is the mascot of Adastra's sister label, Ed's Red.

Ed's Red is the brainchild of Adastra co-owner Edwin Richards. For years Edwin had suffered the frustrating scenario familiar to many wine lovers. You buy a $15 bottle of wine. You are just looking for a pleasant drink. Often instead, you get the dire or the mediocre. Edwin's solution to this problem is Ed's Red, a negociant wine designed to appeal to those who expect a decent drink when they shell out $15 to $20 for a bottle.

The phrase "A hefty wine, best paired with mammoth (or vegetarian equivalent)" adorned the back of the first (2004) Ed's Red bottle, along with a small animal icon. With the 2005 AD release, a line drawing of an imperial mammoth moved to front and center on the label.

And:
If you love raw oysters, prepare to drool! The lushest, freshest of them, ready to gulp by the dozen with
ED'S RED hot sauce!

ED'S RED

AN OYSTER'S BEST FRIEND!

A dream come true for Ed Creamer. A true Gulf county native. His roots are anchored deep in the Seafood Industry. His dad, Dan, was a commercial fisherman and his mother, Mary, and his sister, Alice, shucked oysters. He grew up in Indian Pass and seafood was and still is his passion.

As a young man, he joined the Navy to see the world. In his travels he tried hot sauces in every port, but nothing really satisfied him. When he, his wife Dot, and young son Eddie returned to Port St. Joe, he began to experiment, recalling different sauces he had tried, and working on his own special taste.

He used his family and friends as taste testers. When he got the results he wanted, he took some bottles to Indian Pass Raw Bar to see how the customers would like it. He got an outstanding reception!

Now he needed a name for his product. His wife, Dot settled that and named it ED'S RED. His son, Eddie designed the label and came up with the slogan, An Oyster's Best Friend!

Ed designed and built a mixing kitchen and went to work. ED'S RED is in stores and restaurants locally from Panacea to Panama city Beach and from Port St. Joe to Blountstown. He has shipped to almost every state in the U.S.

ED'S RED Pale Ale

An ale in the Classic English Style Pale Ale. Nice hop aroma with a pleasant finish. Two-row barley and crystal malt. Hops which include Goldings provide an authentic English character, flavor and taste. Absolutely no additives or adjuncts. The perfect beer with spicy or flavorful dishes, an excellent choice with almost any medium to full flavor cheeses. Enough verbiage, take Ed's Red home with you now!

from www.barleyboys.com

There ya go ! Argue away ! :roll:

raw6464

Bearcat
It's been my experience Ed's Red does what it claims to do... cleans bores and carbon. I use it to soak the cylinder of my 357 Blackhawk after firing 38 spls.... along with most other gun cleaning requirements... it does work.

All these home made oils and cleaners are a personal decision we make for our guns. Any cleaning and lubing is better than none even if they're not exactly the same as products made especially for guns.... though since I've been using them for a long time with no ill affect, I doubt very much it makes any difference to the longevity and performance of the guns by using them. We pay premium for these product specific fluids... ya know like "marine gas", WTF is "marine gas" anyway.

Personally I have a problem buying gun oils or bore cleaners that are in the neighborhood of a dollar an ounce... that's $128 a gallon. I can make a gallon of Ed's Red or an oil lubricant for less than $20 and they do well in accordance with the application requirements.

Having said that I'm not poo pooing Hoppes' (or anybody elses) cleaners and lubes, they're great products... it's the price not the performance that I have issue with. A $50 to a $100 monthly bill for gun cleanrers/lubes is an extra cost of an already costly hobby that I choose to "work around".

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I use 2 to 1 ATF to motor oil
+ a little acetone.

Works for me very well. It is oil so I use it as such. Don't wipe guns down with it. A drop here and a drop there on slides and actions and then wipe off excess....a little goes a long way.

Bullwhip

Bearcat
I use Birchwood Casey synthetic or Hoppes #9 mixed with mobilith SHC 220 grease (red color) where I want something lighter than grease but heaveir than oil. I use the mobilith straight where I want grease, but only a little, & use it over others as I have a steady supply available & it has been working for me. I have found that too much grease can create more issues than it fixes & take more to clean up in my experience, just to add my 2 cents.

PS I use CRC put on with a wet rag for rust preventative.....

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I_Like_Pie":1zc2miik said:
I use 2 to 1 ATF to motor oil
+ a little acetone.

Works for me very well. It is oil so I use it as such. Don't wipe guns down with it. A drop here and a drop there on slides and actions and then wipe off excess....a little goes a long way.
Just out of curiosity, why the acetone, if you're using it as an oil?

Not to be argumentative, or anything... ;)

BTW the truly lazy can now buy Ed's Red. From the "widely published" recipe, even!

-- Sam

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Cracker-American":18zkkb2r said:
Years ago I bought and used a product called LPS. It was available in grads 1,2, and 3. Either aerosol or in gallon cans for you own spray bottle.

Anybody still use it?

400527.jpg

LPS NO. 1 GREASELESS LUBRICANT

Description:
LPS NO. 1 GREASELESS
LUBRICANT
*11 oz. spray can
*Provides a thin non-oily
lubricating film
*Fine lubricant that
penetrates and dries fast
*Will not attract dust or dirt
*Displaces moisture
*Non-conductive
*Safe to use on fabric, paint,
plastic and other finishes
*NSF registration No. 059847,
category code H2
*Discovery NBR, SUP

:wink:

Huey Rider

Bearcat
A fellow I know who was an Army armoror and spent time in Iraq recomended KG-10 Moli-Dri Lube.He said it was the best lube they tried over there.

I guess it goes into the pores of the metal and heat from firing the weapon brings it to the surface and lubes it.no dirt attraction.KG makes an entire line of gun cleaning products.
I'm trying it out.

coach

Hunter
raw6464":36at99pk said:
We pay premium for these product specific fluids... ya know like "marine gas", WTF is "marine gas" anyway.
Marine gas in the old days used to be unleaded. Nowdays is just gas that even though you don't pay road tax on, costs 50 cents to a dollar more just because they have you by the short hairs. The marinas also talk about environmental regs and insurance which probably plays a part .
I just wish I got to shoot enough to worry about the cost of cleaning supplies. :(

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":10llspdy said:
Just out of curiosity, why the acetone, if you're using it as an oil?
-- Sam

Not being scientific at all...It seems to either bust up some of the detergents, thin out, or allow it to mix together a little better.

It may or may not acutally be needed, but it seems to turn a rather thick mixture into something a little less "gooey"

cas6969

Buckeye
For a good, inexpensive "home made" gun oil.

Recipe as follows:
1 part Mobile 1 motor oil.

:D

corelokt

Bearcat
For a good, inexpensive "home made" gun oil.

Recipe as follows:
1 part Mobile 1 motor oil.

TFF!
also
TFT.

joemsj51

Bearcat
I was bored today - had the necessary liquids and took the plunge.
Here's what I used to make my CL.... not sure about the "P".

2-1/2 (whiskey) shots of synthetic Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
1-1/2 shots of ATF Fluid
1-1/2 shots of STP (blue)
1 shot of Marvel Mystery Oil
3/4 shot of Hoppes #9 solvent

Sure is slippery and sure does smell. Hoping to try it out in a couple more weeks. I'll be sure the home is vacant of wife and grandkids when I clean/oil the pistols. May be a good time to do an incense smudging with the turkey feather afterwards.

I have enough store-brand gun oils for the next 6-7 years. Why I did this...... I haven't a clue. We all seem to do some experimenting and I guess it was my turn. I have not touched that whiskey shot glass in many-many years. I'm surprised it was still on a shelf in the laundry room, along with 11-12 different booze bottles with an inch of dust on the bottles.

snakeeyes4445

Single-Sixer
I just started using ATF and acetone 50/50 as a penetrating oil to remove stuck choke tubes after I use Ed's Red origional to remove the carbon. If I didn't have any Ed's Red, I wouldn't miss it.
The 50/50 mixture seems to be a superior applicant for stuck screws......apply with a q-tip and watch it dissapear down around the screw. A day later, the screw will come out...give it time to work.