Home invasion shown on Jesse Waters' show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
I wish I had a link to share, but I'll try to explain this, and maybe someone can come up with a link. Last night Jesse Waters on FOX had a segment about what to do to prevent a home invasion. Part of the segment was a video showing a thug severely beating a woman in her home, several times, as he ransacked the home and resumed beating her. Truly frightening scenario to think about this happening to someone we care for, or ourselves. We all know that these things can happen, but seeing a video like this makes it even more real to contemplate. I generally have not carried a gun with me while in the house, but after seeing that video I slipped a 38 revolver into my pocket for the rest of the evening, realizing if suddenly my door was smashed in without warning (I have no idea how strong the doorframe really is although it seems pretty substantial) while I was seated in my recliner watching TV, there would be no way that I could get to any of my home defense firearms in time. I live in what is considered a very safe neighborhood, and I am unaware of even a single home invasion in this area in all the years that I have lived here, but I know that it could happen at any time. So I guess staying armed at home needs to become as much a habit as being armed when I leave home, something that I have been doing for many years.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
AS I've stated before, I'm in the twilight of my life and declining health. Dog barks at anyone on the street and I can see out the front window to the ramp=Glock 357 Sig on the end table next to me. 9mm in the desk drawer and 10mm and shotgun in the bedroom. Wife has 9mm in her purse and one in the nightstand.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
First, there are no safe neighborhoods. Thugs have cars.

Second, I learned a long time ago that it’s better to keep them outside than deal with them inside.

Quite by accident I bought a home with only two ground floor windows. The benefits of hillside living. Pretty easy to secure those against smashing and entering quickly.

That left just my front door and sliding glass door. Front door was replaced with a decorative steel door & frame years ago when I worked nights and the kids were small. That left just the sliding glass door. A security shutter took care of that.

So, even though I live in an upscale area and have physical deterrents, am I armed at home? Heck yeah! As a very recent attack on a fellow not to distant from me proved, you can be attacked taking out the trash. Whether that was a planned attack or just the spur of the moment really doesn’t matter. Had he been armed it might well have prevented his being severely beaten and his son and the domestic staff being terrorized.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Couldn't find a link to that, but I've seen several such video's taken by home security cameras. They happen very fast and very violently. The bad guy (could be 3,4, or more) don't fool around, and you must assume they are armed and will have their gun out and ready to rock. They watch those videos of special forces and SWAT busting in and learn from them. Just like everyone else does. You might have 3 seconds from the time they come thru the door or window, to grab your gat and start throwing lead. If your only advance warning is when the door comes off the hinges, you're already behind the curve.

Now, I know that none of us want to turn our homes and property into fortresses; but it's getting to the point where we may not have a choice if we want to live to a ripe old age.

Montelores

Buckeye
If you have read Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood," you'll know that even in rural Kansas, you might not be safe in your own home.

However, why doesn't the news show the millions of Americans, reclining comfortably in their homes, watching television?

Monty

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
vito said:
Having guns stashed around the house is more challenging when you have young grandkids around pretty often.
This isn't the only period in the history of this or any other society, where multiple generations and a proliferation of weapons, all occupied the same house. The difference between then and now, is that many people in this country over the past 50 years or so have been convinced that youngsters are incapable of being properly instructed in the handling & use of such weapons; and therefore must be prohibited from even drawing a picture of a weapon, let alone handling one. There are many examples that establish the fallacy of such an attitude.

Watchman

Buckeye
I grew up in a house where coffee tables were for your coffee cup, a gun magazine and a loaded revolver.

I see nothing wrong with that, even now. My house, my rules...

vito

Hunter
I raised my children to understand and respect firearms. I am not so sure how well my kids have done this for my grandkids. I will not take the risk inherent in having loaded guns accessible to children.

I worry about kids as well. My daughter knows appropriate gun safety for her age. But I cannot speak for her friends. And they are getting to be old enough, if she has a friend over, my wife and I might both be gone on a walk with the dogs.

It's tough to know what to do with kids. Even though they might have been taught gun safety, they are still just kids and get a group of them together and who know what could happen.

vito

Hunter
Kevin said:
I worry about kids as well. My daughter knows appropriate gun safety for her age. But I cannot speak for her friends. And they are getting to be old enough, if she has a friend over, my wife and I might both be gone on a walk with the dogs.

It's tough to know what to do with kids. Even though they might have been taught gun safety, they are still just kids and get a group of them together and who know what could happen.

Absolutely true. I personally know of a case where kid (10-11 years old) were playing and the subject of guns came up. The boy whose home they were playing in said "My Dad has a real gun", to which one of the other boys said "Its probably not real cause your Dad is not a cop". The first boy took his friend to the master bedroom and opened the bedside table drawer to show his friend the gun. No one was hurt, but it wouldn't have taken much for one of those boys to pick up the gun and then, who knows? The parents found out about this when the visiting boy told his parents that he had seen his friend's Dad's gun, and those parents called the gun owner and told him about it. I use small metal safes, bolted into drawers or shelves. They won't stop a determined burglar, but easily stop curious kids or others who have no business touching my guns.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
Came across this just yesterday. It comes down from a Celtic fable (actually from a battle the Celts lost when they invaded Ireland and is from about 300 A.D. or so). It's a prediction made by the Morrigan (cousin to the Bhean Sidhs and sort of an Irish Valkyrie):

""I shall not see a world that will be dear to me
Summer without flowers
Kine will be without milk,
Women without modesty,
Men without valor,
Captures without a king...
Woods without mast,
Sea without produce...
Wrong judgments of old men,
False precedents of lawyers,
Every man a betrayer,
Every boy a reaver
Son will enter his fathers bed,
Father will enter his son's bed,
Every one will be his brother's brother in law....
An evil time!
Son will deceive his father,
Daughter will deceive her mother."

I 'm pretty certain I will never have to use a gun in my home... the chances are very very low with where I live.... but if most of my friends knew what was near by they would probably call me crazy... not only is there a pistol hidden but with in easy reach in every room... but they are all the same brand and model and caliber....

My risk level is fairly low, even though I was a Deputy Sheriff in my county for 11 years. I live alone on isolated property. I carry, because if a dog attacks, I won’t have time to go back to the house for said weapon while my dog or cat is being mauled. It is about priorities. Good luck!
gramps

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I've seen a few of these kick in's, and I'm willing to bet a fair amount of money, that every victim believed that the neighborhood they lived in was a safe subdivision. I don't care if you are talking crime or lose dogs. Any neighborhood can be invaded, if it hasn't it's just a matter of time. If you haven't thought through what you would do, you are a poor protector of your family. I carry a gun, anytime I'm awake. Like a previous thread, I don't expect a fire but I have fire insurance. Actually I've never had a fire in my house. But I don't depend on that as the standard. We kept guns around our house when my son was growing up but he was taught the rules. When I was growing up I had a rifle in my bedroom. You better believe I knew the rules. So did my son. Your grandchildren may not have been taught anything in their own homes, but it's up to you to instill the rules in your own home. It's up to you to explain the rules to your children and their children. They are responsible for reinforcing the rules in your home. Otherwise they know the risks. I've seen the video of the lady that was beaten and the recording was from the Nanny cam.

Even being attacked by a lose dog in your own neighborhood can result in you being seriously harmed or killed. I don't expect my crystal ball to give me a heads up on any danger I'm walking into. Be legal to carry. Get some training. If you can't hit your target, that gun doesn't do you much good.

Hopefully none of you will ever have to face any of this, but there are no guarantees.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Having guns stashed around the house is more challenging when you have young grandkids around pretty often."
This is true. Our youngest is a teenager who has killed 1/2 dozen deer so less of a concern here.

contender

Ruger Guru
Times,, people,, & attitudes have changed.
It used to be that a home invasion was a rarer thing.
It used to be that people were raised in homes with firearms & taught respect for them.
It used to be that kids were raised to be polite, respectful of others, right & wrong. And especially to NOT mis-use a firearm.
It used to be that kids would take guns to school, put them away,, then hunt something on the way home. Hopefully bringing fresh meat to the family.

It was all that way prior to the "feel good, liberal politics" invaded our methods of child rearing.

Now,, you can't spank your own child.
Now you are told you can't have guns around kids.
Kids are taught in schools to tell on anyone who owns guns.
Kids are punished for drawing guns, biting a pop-tart into the shape of a gun, etc.
Kids are taught that only cops or the military should have guns.
Now, home invasions are much more common.
Now, thugs are not raised by a proper family,, taught any form of respect, and think nothing of stealing or attacking people.

I could list a lot more stuff,, but I'm sure y'all get the idea.
Carrying a firearm for protection, even when inside your home is something each of us have to decide if it's a good idea or not. As noted,, often, thugs kick in a door or smash a window to suddenly gain access to a home.
Each of us can do things to SLOW the access down,, but not always prevent it.
Steel doors,, great,, unless the frame is mounted into soft wood & with minimal mounting hardware. The door will hold while the frame of the house collapses. Re-enforcing the latch side of the wall can prevent the wood from busting so easily. Steel is best. Then the hinges, often held by 1/2" - 3/4" screws. Very weak. Longer screws, that go all the way into the wooden wall which the door frame is mounted to is much more secure.
Dual deadbolts on doors also can help. Most often, they are mounted close to the door handle. Add another one,, up above the door handle by about 6"-12" or so. Harder for a kicking foot to get high enough to overcome that.

Windows;
We all enjoy our windows to allow us to see out,, light to enter & such. Glass breaks. But you can also make it harder by having storm windows,, with more than one pane of glass. You can also get glass designed to withstand "rough weather" so that they may not break as easily. And remember,, broken glass can cut a person trying to enter that way. Often,, they prefer to break a glass, open the window & then come in. Sudden invasion types,, will try the doors.

But,, it still comes down to being prepared for the "just in case" scenario. We all have to make our own decisions about just how much we want to adjust our lives for the "possibilities" out there.

Latest posts