Home Depot toilet quality ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redhawker

Buckeye
I'm kind of thinking as long as you stay with a name brand it will be as good as the "plumbing supply" warehouse one of the same brand name. I can't see, for example, Kohler bothering to make two separate quality toilets, one for Home Depot and one for a Professional Plumbing Supply House. What would be the advantage to Kohler to have two separate production lines or production runs just so they could make a lower and a higher quality of the same item?

Steelwheel24

Bearcat
Searching the internet for reviews and check to be sure it's still being made in America but I'll go for supply house instead.

There is a term I hear often about the fireplaces and appliances that are being installed in most of the massive subdivisions being quickly built around my area..."Builder Grade". It is not a complementary term.
As it's likely the cheapest thing the builder thought he could get away with for the typically ignorant about quality, home buyer.
As long as the house looks good it must be well built.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Just bought two Kohlers at Lowes. It's been two weeks and they still flush the poop away....The 'builders' grade' that was put in this house in 1968 was still working albeit the plumber had to cut the bolts with a Dremel. "They don't make them like they used to."

I'll report back on the new ones in 10 years if I'm still alive.

J.

Just bought two Kohlers at Lowes. It's been two weeks and they still flush the poop away....The 'builders' grade' that was put in this house in 1968 was still working albeit the plumber had to cut the bolts with a Dremel. "They don't make them like they used to."

I'll report back on the new ones in 10 years if I'm still alive.

J.
Yes, you are correct, “They don’t make them like they used too.” I’m sure the “builder’s grade” from 1968 is much different than it is today.

We are actually right now at the Kohler store ordering toilets. The sales guy just told me, made in USA, double glazed etc. one piece tank and bowl.

$800 per toilet. My wife said no, and the sales guy says “you can’t take it with you.” And “you can’t compromise your design over a few dollars…”

He’s right. So they are going to deliver them this week. 😀

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I paid $219 each + tax and they loaded them in my wife's Subaru. Then, in keeping with labor costs around here, (and my advanced age limiting my diy lifestyle), I paid $990 to the plumber to install them....
p.s. He's Donald Trump's AND Ralph Lauren's plumber.... he always gets me confused with them for some reason :(
J.

Last edited:

The A Team

Bearcat
The quality will be probably be higher with products from the supply shop made from manufacturer’s spec’s vs HD or Lowe’s spec’s. They are not the same even when the same SKU.

Will you notice the difference ? Maybe, maybe not. That is how large retailers increase profits!

Sometimes it might not matter- my Lowe’s fridge has worked for 12 years while the name brand one went bad 2 days past the 3 year warranty.