Home Depot toilet quality ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thank you!
This does help. Like I said, I’ve wondered about the quality.

We’ve already started to buy some of the fixtures. The Kohler brand has a showroom in Dallas. We went there and picked out a lot of stuff. Their prices are really not too much more than Home Depot for the same item. So right now, it’s probably half done.

And I greatly appreciate all the comments.

And yes, I am more concerned with quality. The last thing I want to do, 3 or 4 years down the road is replace another toilet because i bought a cheap one to begin with.
I built our house in 1979 and we still have a Kohler toilet that has nothing done to it in 43 years. So if you don't want crapped on buy Kohler. All of our fixtures are also Kohler. Yea they cost more but worth it IMHO.

Huskerguy72

Bearcat
I have friends in the plumbing business. They insist that products sold at the supply house are of better quality than the big box store. Around my area, the builders get their fixtures from the supply house, not Lowes or Menards.

I have some rental property and insist on using American Standard, Kohler, Delta (not my fav) but name brand stuff. For rentals I don't go high end but at least in the middle. I know people who buy the store brand with lots of plastic parts and in a few years they are getting a call to replace them.

moparclan

Bearcat
Bought my KOHLER toilets from H.D. and a granite sink and faucet from Lowes. All have been top notch with spare parts available.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I was the department supervisor for the plumbing department at our Home Depot about twelve years ago. The high-end Kohler toilets were fine, with fully glazed traps and good flush valves, and we sold a lot to our contractors. The American Standards were good performers, and they had a model with fully glazed trap as well, although I still recommended the Kohlers just due to the better finish and internals. As for faucets and fixtures, the Moens, Price Pfisters, Kohlers, et al with seals on the boxes had the same SKUs as those from a plumbing supply. The units that didn't have seals were made for big box stores and weren't as high quality. Now things may have changed since I worked there, but at that time, one could get perfectly good high quality fixtures from HD...just had to do a little research and be selective.

redfernclan

Bearcat
I asked my plumber buddy about quality years ago. His reply- everyone now has a high end line and a "budget" line. I went with the high end Moen line. Saved all the paper work and after 25 years have had nothing but excellent service from them. Some would say I shouldn't have problems in 25 years but we are on a well and the water can be tough on stuff.
One last tip, inspect before install. Changed a toilet out a few years ago and went with a Kohler. Performance it great but when you lift the seat, there is a hair line crack over the edge of the bowl. Never been a problem, hasn't grown at all but if I had noticed it before install I would have taken it back.

GypsmJim

Bearcat
Nothing from Home depo is as good as from a supply house.

The toilets specifically will be poorly glazed in the bottom of the trap. Making it impossible to keep the rough surface clean.

At the supply house stick with the big names but the standard offering dont buy the fancy stuff.
Nonsense. We just did a kitchen and bath remodel. The "contractor" wanted to charge huge prices for fixtures. I looked at the model numbers for every part. HD had the same model numbers and the products were exactly the same. They also had cheaper items, but with different skus.

I ended up doing it myself. The contractor price was about $25,000. I did it for $1800.

Coogs

Maximum
Don't know where your at, so I don't know if they have a showroom close to you but Google Ferguson supply.....they are nation wide, over 3-4,000 stores under various names.......

shoot to thrill

Bearcat
I sold faucets at my friend's hardware store a few years back which used united hardware as a supplier. The delta, peerless etc all had plastic hook up lines etc. The cheaper LDR brand was still all copper lines with brass nuts. Might pay to see if you can open the box at the store.
plastic is better then copper

I ended up doing it myself. The contractor price was about $25,000. I did it for $1800.
That is a gigantic price difference. Unless you are talking about labor as well, the prices, these days at least, aren’t that far apart. Unless of course the contractor was just taking advantage of you.

And thank you again for all the comments. I’m in Dallas, but the house we are building is down here on the beach in Galveston. I’ll post some pictures.

I see there are Ferguson showrooms around both Dallas and Houston.

Like I said, we bought some of the stuff from the Kohler showroom in Dallas. We will probably just go back to them for the rest of what we need.

The house is 2,000 sq. ft. With 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 bathrooms with a sink in the laundry room. So we don’t really need a lot of fixtures.

RSIno1

Hunter
If it has the exact same SKU or part/model number it should be the same item.
This ^^^
Big companies have buying power and can get manufacturers to produce products to their specs. Their "specs" generally mean taking something out of the product to reduce the cost.
The Interstate battery you get at Costco isn't the same one you get at the Interstate distributor. It has the same warranty but weighs less telling me it's cheaper to build and will just meet the specs not exceed them like the first line battery.

Pipefitter/Plumber by trade. We did all our own domestic plumbing work in a huge industrial setting.

We could buy any product anywhere we wanted. Usually we picked up the phone and had a distributor deliver things such as toilets. Other times, it was easier just to go to Home Depot. I saw absolutely no difference whatsoever in the same product with the same model number or sku, bought from a plumbing distributor or Home Depot. I will say further, identical model tools bought from Home Depot are identical to the same tools bought from a distributor.

kmoore

Buckeye
Guns. 15 years back in Portland doing a last minute for x-mas I was going to buy a son an 870 Remington shotgun. Local 7 chain store with sporting goods was out. Next day while working in Portland I stopped by a gun shop, who is known for high prices on everything they sell. 870s were 50 bucks more and sales guy gave the sales pitch that their 870s come with upgraded springs and other parts. Sales guy could not tell me which springs or parts were put into their 870s just for his gun shop. Ok, I ask for one in a box to check it out. I finally got him to bring out the box, it was the same part model as the retail store. I did not compare SKUs. I did not buy only because the guy was worse than a used car salesman. I even told him so.
That night I went to Bi mart, they had several 870s and were about 70 bucks cheaper than the gun shop for the same gun.
Anyone person, who tells me the things they sell are better than the other store had better prove it.

pawncop

Blackhawk
When we updated our bathroom, our plumber recommended American Standard brand. Purchased at Home Depot without any problems.

GypsmJim

Bearcat
That is a gigantic price difference. Unless you are talking about labor as well, the prices, these days at least, aren’t that far apart. Unless of course the contractor was just taking advantage of you.
He WAS taking advantage of us. His quote covered almost gutting the rooms down to bare walls and replacing things that were solid. It was a turn-key job where I didn't have to do anything, which is what I wanted because of my back problems. I ended up using 3 different contractors and doing the final painting myself. The job came out better than expected.

Latest posts