Home Depot toilet quality ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After reading about the conspiracies at the car dealers, I almost hate to ask, but will there be a difference in quality between a toilet bought at Home Depot or Lowe’s, vs the showroom of the same manufacturer?

We are building a house (more on that later) and per the contract, my wife and I have to buy all the fixtures and kitchen appliances. We are paying for the whole house of course, but the fixtures just aren’t in the building contract.

So the question is just limited to toilets, but also say faucets, etc.

I’ve actually always wondered about this. The toilets in my house came from a plumbing supply place. They cost more, but the sales lady assured me they are better quality. So I bought from the plumbing supply store at the higher price.

Urban myth or fact? What do you think?

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Dunno, haven't been in the market for almost 20 years. I've heard comments about using 'contractor grade' stuff from ANY seller. Other than that, look at a name brand product which should be of universal quality regardless of retailer.

buckaroo

Single-Sixer
Go with the old brand names and check to make sure they are still being made in America, you'll find the good brands still being made back east in Wisconsin as an example. Cost more up front but it's your house. I'm in senior apt. housing and everything was built on the cheap and it all leaks.

If it were me I'd have your Wife drop by the local Ferguson showroom facility. You can get everything you need for your entire new home. My business partner and I deal with them on a regular regarding domestic water booster pumps in 3 states. They are great business people to deal with, but some body may come along and PooPoo this. You can often catch them doing closeouts on last years stuff and pay no more than you would at a big box store for lessor quality.

Good luck on your new home build.

Oh and they won't steal your new valves and washers out of your new stuff and replace them with old worn out one ;)

Last edited:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I installed many appliances that were contractor's specials. I don't know where they (the contractors) get them but they are cheaper and lack features over the regular appliances. I think if you buy from any reputable store like HD, Best Buy or as you said, "the showroom of the same manufacturer" you should be fine. Just don't buy anything out of the back of a truck. :sick:

eveled

Hunter
Nothing from Home depo is as good as from a supply house.

The toilets specifically will be poorly glazed in the bottom of the trap. Making it impossible to keep the rough surface clean.

At the supply house stick with the big names but the standard offering dont buy the fancy stuff.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Go with the old brand names and check to make sure they are still being made in America, you'll find the good brands still being made back east in Wisconsin as an example. Cost more up front but it's your house. I'm in senior apt. housing and everything was built on the cheap and it all leaks.
Ditto=name brands are name brands, and you get what you pay for. I'm disabled and we shopped a while. I don't remember what we got but we are pleased with one, satisfied with a second and OK with a third. Kohler if I remember right.

If it has the exact same SKU or part/model number it should be the same item. I think a specialty store should have a better
selection of the higher end products. I'm not going to a box store for quality stuff in a new build. It's been years since we built our
house, not very big, but spent stupid money on some parts or details in it....don't regret the extra money at all.
Guessing from your posts you value quality more than a cheaper price. The best stuff is usually better in the long run if you're
keeping the house.
EDIT.....forgot to mention, order your appliances as early as possible. Have a friend in Cleveland with a large store dealing with the hi end
stuff. Several months to get things, driving new builders nuts!

Last edited:
I have just finished remodeling a house. The toilets and faucets came from Lowe's. The toilets were not the house brand, but American Standard and as good as I have installed anywhere. Of course they are set up as watersavers which I do not like. The toilets are easy to convert to better flushes, higher volume, the faucets a bit harder. I recommend you look at the mid priced and up fixture. Not the store brand, about $160 to $200 range. Faucets such as Elkay, Moen, Kohler, and again not the cheapest one. Open the box and inspect the contents. I have had parts missing or found I needed something extra to make them work. I have Elkay and they work fine. I stay away from the single handle faucets like Delta. They don't last as long. I think I'm going to convert the kitchen to one of those touchless at my house when I need to upgrade next time.

protoolman

Hunter
I sold faucets at my friend's hardware store a few years back which used united hardware as a supplier. The delta, peerless etc all had plastic hook up lines etc. The cheaper LDR brand was still all copper lines with brass nuts. Might pay to see if you can open the box at the store.

Coogs

Maximum
For the money Mansfield 137-160, elongated ADA height or 135-160 elogated std. height is your best bang for your buck.......stay away from glacier bay! American Standard and Kohler are good choices but your paying some for the name....just my two cents......Delta is your best choice on faucets, SAVE THE PAPER WORK! lifetime warranty, it leaks, call them, they send you the new parts. But need exact model number and install date.....save the paperwork. And yes, there IS a difference between a Delta faucet you buy at Home Despot and one you buy from a supplier........i sold the same model number as they did, mine sold for about $30.00 more......my handles were solid brass with a metal pop up, theirs was all plastic.......I may have a little insight.....after being in the business for over 50 years.......

Last edited:

kmoore

Buckeye
I have been told "our stuff is better than the ABC stores" but as mentioned get the SKUs of what you want and go online and compare. I think smaller places do have higher prices on most stuff vs big chain stores. That's easy its buying power and quantity. If you want to support local stores, bet your paying higher prices. Is that a problem, I support and buy from the small guys as much as I can.
I recently checked out a recliner at Bi mart. Took a photo of the price, model and SKU. It was on clearance at 399. Went on the web and found the same chair listed at a major furniture store for 799 and at Sears for 999. The web does some good things in our lives.

Last edited:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I don’t know about plumbing but on MANY other items the box stores have their own lookalike version made by the manufacturer just for them

As said above. Verify model/part/sku numbers to the manufacturer site.

Watch out for very similar but different numbers. Say a 100-125 versus the box store 100-126. The box store will be de-contented in some manner.

Thank you!
This does help. Like I said, I’ve wondered about the quality.

We’ve already started to buy some of the fixtures. The Kohler brand has a showroom in Dallas. We went there and picked out a lot of stuff. Their prices are really not too much more than Home Depot for the same item. So right now, it’s probably half done.

And I greatly appreciate all the comments.

And yes, I am more concerned with quality. The last thing I want to do, 3 or 4 years down the road is replace another toilet because i bought a cheap one to begin with.

buckaroo

Single-Sixer
Thank you!
And I greatly appreciate all the comments.

We aim to please even if it doesn't fit in with your conspiracy.
And being your in Texas don't visit the construction site until after it's built, what you don't know won't hurt.

:)

314Chevy

Single-Sixer
What Coogs said. We have both Mansfield and Toto in our home. The Toto one piece are made in Georgia and the Mansfield are made in Ohio. Both are quality but for me the bottom line (pun intended) is Mansfield.