Home Defense With a Shotgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

147 Grain

Bearcat
Home Defense with a Shotgun: A few things I've learned over the years.

For self-defense inside the home at short distances, the brand of ammo, type of choke, or size of (#1 or larger) buckshot isn't as critical as shot placement from a well-fitted 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with a simple weapon light (i.e. Streamlight TLR1 or etc...). An open Cylinder (C) or Improved Cylinder (IC) choke with Low Recoil (LR) buckshot is preferred for quicker follow-up shots.

While #1 buckshot offers the best overall terminal performance for civilians, LE Agencies still prefer hardened 00 buckshot due to its superior penetration. Sales is the driving factor as to why there are not more #1 buckshot loads to choose from for civilians. The International Wound Ballistics Association advocates "#1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes."

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/home_defense_shotgun_ammo.htm
http://www.brassfetcher.com/12%20gauge.html
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45.htm

As for a shotgun, keep things simple! A lot of fancy stuff on a Home-Defense (HD) shotgun isn't necessary! A plain-jane / reliable pump or semi-auto shotgun with a short barrel will do just fine! (SIMPLICITY … and … RELIABLILITY are the operative words here.) An open-choked 18 1/2" - 20" barrel is ideal and an illuminated front bead sight provides the fastest sight picture.

Make sure the rear stock fits you OK (shorter aftermarket stocks are available from Hogue, Remington, or Knoxx Industries). A shorter LOP (Length of Pull) stock might be needed so that things can quickly line-up (straight) using YOUR natural Point of Aim (POA).

Pattern your shotgun at the range with buckshot. Practicing with #8 target loads is perfectly acceptable and saves a lot of wear and tear on the shoulder.

Pistol grips and slings reduce your reactionary and follow-up times (They have proven to be a liability inside the home!). Slings are useful over longer distances outside the home, but get in the way in close quarters. If you insist on a sling, get a quick-disconnect model for removal inside the home. A full-size stock with a pistol grip is a better overall setup than just a small stub mounted to the receiver. Most civilians will do just fine with a standard OEM stock that fits their size.

Federal's LE 9-pellet LE132-00 load @ 1,145 fps with LR Flight Control (FC) wads offers outstanding performance in and outside the home (civilian version is PD132-00). These hardened copper plated buckshot pellets penetrate plenty and full-power loads are not needed unless your semi-auto won't function reliably with LR shells or you need extended range in more open areas. The full-power version of 00 buckshot with FC is LE127-00 @ 1,325 fps.

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/shotshell/tacticalbuckshot.aspx

"Birdshot, because of its small size, does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. Although birdshot can destroy a great volume of tissue at close range, the permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop, especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there's no reason for it to be an effective wound.

"Many people load their shotguns with birdshot, usually #6 shot or smaller, to minimize interior wall penetration. Number 6 lead birdshot, when propelled at 1300 fps, has a maximum penetration depth potential of about 5 inches in standard ordnance gelatin. Not all of the pellets penetrate this deeply however; most of the birdshot will only penetrate about 4 inches."

The whole point of self-defense (SD) is to IMMEDIATELY stop the threat and a shallow wound from birdshot doesn't put as many odds in your favor as buckshot does! While still deadly at a slower pace, birdshot is more likely to leave the BG additional time to inflict harm (than buckshot). Use what you want for SD, as it's your life on the line. Most people want to put more odds in their favor and buckshot is more effective at preserving life than birdshot.

For outside the home, I suggest you avoid Federal's very soft Tru-Ball slugs due to their having significantly less penetration than LR 00 buckshot (i.e. LE132-00 or LE133-00). 00 buckshot with a FC wad is very effective in open areas providing the experienced shooter does his part.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Shotshell_Data_Book.pdf

Furthermore, instead of the soft foster-style slugs like Tru-Ball, Brenneke's low recoiling 1-oz. slug (Tactical Home Defense - THD) at 1,325 fps does a much better job for general purpose use outside the home.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_tactical_home_defense.html
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/247.html

Finally, the K.O. 1-oz. slug from Brenneke (designed for hunting) is an improved foster-style slug and likewise a deep penetrator and good for barrier penetration. The drawback is, that at 1,600 fps, recoil is significantly stronger than the THD load (above) and is overkill for self-defense. Note: The K.O. is fine, but recoil is ………… well, you know what I mean.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/267.html

In short, Goldie Locks would say that Brenneke's Tactical Home Defense load is just right! :) Not too soft like Federal Tru-Ball and not overkill for around the home like the K.O.

P.S. The heavy 1 ¼-oz. Brenneke slugs @ 1,476 fps are used by LE Agencies (i.e. HRT - Hostage Rescue Teams) for barrier penetration and provide the deepest penetration of any slug on the market.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/file...t/user_upload/Dokumente/Special_Forces_LE.pdf
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/special_forces_short_magnum.html
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/238.html

kelbro

Single-Sixer
I have heard that birdshot is the best for home use. Less unwanted penetration.

We keep a short Model 12 by the bed. At any range inside my home, I believe that a shotcupful of 7 1/2 is probably going to stop the threat.

147 Grain

Bearcat
kelbro said:
I have heard that birdshot is the best for home.

"Birdshot" is for the birds; buckshot is for the bigger bucks who invade your home! :D

Any shot that misses, either from a handgun or shotgun, can do considerable damage to your home or even penetrate next door. Carefully training to ensure your shots hit center mass in the upper torso is the most important issue here and job #1.

Civilians should never pull the trigger unless their life or that of a loved one is in imminent danger!

Job #2 is to put the most odds in your favor and at least use the smallest sized buckshot load available and that is #4, with #1 or larger being preferred. If your shot is on target, overpenetration will not be an issue, so save the "birdshot" for the birds and use buckshot for the bigger bucks who invade your home!

When your life is on the line, UNDERPENETRATION of "birdshot" is far more likely to get you killed than overpenetration. Penetration is a must for survival.

Police Departments generally are not as overly concerned about overpenetration as they are with rounds that miss their intended target. (They use 00 buckshot in their shotguns.) Roughly 87% of shots fired from all LE firearms (over the past 100+ years) MISS their intended target, so training is imperative - especially for civilians!

pps

Single-Sixer
147 Grain said:
kelbro said:
I have heard that birdshot is the best for home.

"Birdshot" is for the birds; buckshot is for the bigger bucks who invade your home! :D

Any shot that misses, either from a handgun or shotgun, can do considerable damage to your home or even penetrate next door. Carefully training to ensure your shots hit center mass in the upper torso is the most important issue here and job #1.

Civilians should never pull the trigger unless their life or that of a loved one is in imminent danger!

Job #2 is to put the most odds in your favor and at least use the smallest sized buckshot load available and that is #4, with #1 or larger being preferred. If your shot is on target, overpenetration will not be an issue, so save the "birdshot" for the birds and use buckshot for the bigger bucks who invade your home!

When your life is on the line, UNDERPENETRATION of "birdshot" is far more likely to get you killed than overpenetration. Penetration is a must for survival.

Police Departments generally are not as overly concerned about overpenetration as they are with rounds that miss their intended target. (They use 00 buckshot in their shotguns.) Roughly 87% of shots fired from all LE firearms (over the past 100+ years) MISS their intended target, so training is imperative - especially for civilians!

Law enforcement officers are not supposed to pull the trigger unless their life or someone else life is in danger either (at least here in Commifornia). Same rules for LEO and non LEO in that respect. Some states, like Texas allow you to protect your property. Act according to your state laws, and most important...stay alive/win

steve b

Single-Sixer
I agree, bird shot is for birds. There is no magic load that will be lethal to bad guys only. In not too many feet, that load of bird shot will be down to making a very messy surface wound. I would take in consideration, though, the often spouted advice about a shotgun being best for H.D.. My house, for instance, one step from the master bdroom, puts you within reach of the bathroom and two more bedroom doorways, two steps to hall to dining room. I want a handgun that can be used at the close ready position. I do not want to have to manuever a long gun in that scenario. If you have little ones to herd, you also want a free hand, again, no long gun. A firearm is the last line of defense in the home, you have many other things to consider first. steve b

Pal Val

Buckeye
I have my home defense shotgun loaded this way:
#4 turkey load in the chamber
two 00buck next
two slugs last

The turkey load will make a fist-sized hole in a person at near point-blank range, but will not overpenetrate. If I miss, or there's a second assailant, the buckshot is good for a longer range. Finally, the two slugs are there if I need to shoot through a door. I can chuck the shells before them in a second.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Every time I see one of these threads, I wonder: "How many people were shot developing this data?" I'd guess pitifully few from a scientific standpoint.

I'll be happy to take the advice that birdshot is for the birds from ANYBODY who's stood within the proverbial 7 yard radius that most supposed "experts" claim is the average for SD shootings and taken even a standard target load of #7 1/2s, let alone heavier "bird shot" ranging up to waterfowl loads of BBs, to center of mass, the groin or head area. Any of those hits will get your attention long enough to slow you down (unless you're seriously drugged up, in which case all bets are off regardless of what they hit you with!) Depending on your clothing, there's a good chance they'll get the coroner's attention, too.

I spent too many years painting over divots in the back of filled concrete block traphouses on a range to believe birdshot's NOT a serious threat at normal SD ranges. From the front line of the field, 16 yds, the average divot was about five to six inches in diameter, and from 1/2" to 3/4" deep, when produced w/ #8 or #7 1/2 "bird shot" and a modified to full choke. Dunno about anyone else, but I make no claim to be nearly as hard to damage as concrete.

I understand a couple of people have been killed at that distance popping out of traphouses in violation of safety protocols on "hot" firing lines. None of our kids dared do that: we gave 'em a demo using a canteloupe or small watermelon placed on the top of the house right where their head would appear as they exited it, and shot from the 16 yd line. A canteloupe's just about "head size" and nearly disappears when hit. The watermelon won't quite disappear, but adds the "special effect" of reddish goo flying everywhere. Even as hard headed as we thought some of our kids were, everybody got the point quickly.

Everybody's entitled to their opinions, of course, but experience tells me many of them may be based on "a friend of a friend of a friend told a friend this" types of info... so go ahead and load whatever makes you comfortable. Then pray you never have to find out if the choice was the right one!

Rick C

147 Grain

Bearcat
"Birdshot, because of its small size, does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. Although birdshot can destroy a great volume of tissue at close range, the permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop, especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there's no reason for it to be an effective wound.

"Many people load their shotguns with birdshot, usually #6 shot or smaller, to minimize interior wall penetration. Number 6 lead birdshot, when propelled at 1300 fps, has a maximum penetration depth potential of about 5 inches in standard ordnance gelatin. Not all of the pellets penetrate this deeply however; most of the birdshot will only penetrate about 4 inches."

147 Grain

Bearcat
The whole point of self-defense (SD) is to IMMEDIATELY stop the threat and a shallow wound from birdshot doesn't put as many odds in your favor as buckshot does!

While still deadly at a slower pace, birdshot is more likely to leave the BG additional time to inflict harm (than buckshot). Use what you want for SD, as it's your life on the line. Most people want to put more odds in their favor and buckshot is more effective at preserving life than birdshot.

147 Grain

Bearcat
"For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the #1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

"In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

Other References:

Cotey, Gus J.: "Number 1 Buckshot, the Number 1 Choice." Wound Ballistics Review, 2(4), 10-18, 1996.

MacPherson, Duncan: "Technical Comment on Buckshot Loads." Wound Ballistics Review, 2(4), 19-21, 1996.

MacPherson, Duncan: Bullet Penetration, Ballistic Publications, El Segundo, California, 1994.

DiMaio, Vincent J.M.: Gunshot Wounds, Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc., New York, New York, 1985, pp. 163-208.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Most pictures that I have seen of 'home invaders' were meth-heads that looked to be about 4" thick :)

I have also read on many occasions that just the sound of a pump shotgun racking in a round is enough to send most bad guys running.

I'm not disputing for a second that buckshot is more lethal but I have seen the damage that 7 1/2 birdshot will do and there's not many folks that will keep coming after one or two rounds of those pelting them.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
kelbro said:
I'm not disputing for a second that buckshot is more lethal but I have seen the damage that 7 1/2 birdshot will do and there's not many folks that will keep coming after one or two rounds of those pelting them.

Hi,

And even if they do keep coming, it gets easier to dodge them once their face is gone. :shock:

Again, I'm not disputing the data, either, but still wonder how many people were ACTUALLY shot to determine w/ any scientific validity which load, and WHAT KIND OF HIT, it takes for this proverbial "quick stop?" Are they making BGs out of ballistic gelatin now? Don't think so...

Anyone who hunts knows every hit's different, and a bigger caliber doesn't make up for poor shot placement. Even good shot placement doesn't guarantee Bambi's always gonna stop right there. 1000s of deer shot each year support this idea. And Bambi doesn't even do drugs!

How many BGs take a load of lead every year? I'm just guessing, but would offer we see as many BGs shot by the police every week on TV as happens in real life over a far longer period of time...

But as I said before, load whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Rick C

kelbro

Single-Sixer
And more importantly, in my particular case with my old model 12, the low brass birdshot shells feed more reliably than the high brass buckshot.

volshooter

Buckeye
In your home shots are danger close. I prefer not to use buck or ball as my daughter is down the hall.
Let us discuss just how close a home shot will be.
A 12 ga loaded with 6 or better will penetrate 2 layers of sheet rock and still be lethal at lets say 12 feet. (if you are trying to shoot someone you cannot see through a sheetrock wall)

I was taught to aim at the perp and not a hidden target.
My opinion is in your home, using a shotgun, anything larger that BB's is putting others at risk. I do have one of my 12's loades with ooBuck for the ones running off.

Home invasons and day time robberies are on the increase here. I carry at least a 9mm at all times. After years of thought and some trial I will not use a 12ga in the house with anything than #4, unless the target attempts to flee.

Don't get me wrong, I keep a .44mag, 2 .45ACP's, a 9mm, and two 12ga next to my bed, wife keeps a S&W 686 in her night stand. None of these would be used at a target in plain sight.

I have seen #4 birdshot fully penetrate a deer's chest cavity at 12-15 yards causing instant death. Specific load was Federal 1 1/4 HV from a 30" full choke. I've conducted demonstrations using 1 ounce trap loads blowing up milk jugs and penetrating several inches of wet newpaper. Personally, I have no doubt in the capability of a clump of small shot stopping an attack at close range. I'm not going to use any load that has a high level of recoil because I feel it will slow down a follow up shot in case of multiple attackers or a miss. The downside of the pump shotgun is the length and need for two hands to manipulate the action but is worthwhile for the ammo load it carries.

volshooter

Buckeye
Good point Mobuck! It reminds me of an argument between my dad, a cuz and I. You might like this story. Dadwas retired Army.

Cuz had secured some "armor piercing .38 spc"
The two of them were sure that these rounds would bust an engine block if shot through the radiator or hood of a car.
I opposed their theory. It was on.......

I set up a water tank made of 1/8 to 3/16 galvonized steel and invited cuz to do his worst. Six shots later, as most of us know, there were six dents in the tank.

Here I had to show my ass. I went inside and got a 22-250 and put 2 rounds through both sides of said tank. To add further insult I grabbed a 12ga and put 2 rounds through the front of the tank and a great dent in the back.

Neither could understand. I happen to have a ball bearing and demonstrated. "This truck set is softer than this bearing, I dropped the bearing and watched it bounce off. I asked why did the steel ball bearing not go through the seat? They answered it was not going fast enough....so explained the .38"
From then on it was clear who had a better understanding of ballistics.

Mobuck a standard 12ga I believe is 1oz around 1100fps Mass. You are correct and there is no need for heavy shot. Thank you, I will switch to smaller shot for primary.

I still like a pump, it is just natural for me.

Rick 8)