Holsters while you wait?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
This question is for you folks who frequent gun shows...better yet, shows in the SE PA area...

Have any of you seen someone who may set up a table at the show and makes Kydex holsters for customers while they wait?

I've checked out a few of the DIY videos online and think that it wouldn't be a bad thing for someone who's in the business to "go portable".

I also ask because I'd like to find a holster for my Ruger American 9mm, which is difficult enough, but even more so, as I have a CMR-201 laser attached. It would be really nice to be able to take the gun to a show and have someone mold a holster for it right there.

I'd thought of getting one of the DIY kits, but they still need special equipment to actually make the holster and it's not worth it just for one...

Just a question to see if anyone else had thought of it.

Aqualung

Seems like a good idea BUT you can only tote a limited number of 'forms' and can only make as many holsters at one time as you have forms. Popular models might have a fairly long waiting line. Another ?? would be electric access. The heaters require AC which might be a limiting factor.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Seems like a good idea BUT you can only tote a limited number of 'forms' and can only make as many holsters at one time as you have forms. Popular models might have a fairly long waiting line. Another ?? would be electric access. The heaters require AC which might be a limiting factor.

Good points, but I was thinking of the holster-maker using an actual firearm as a form...as I go to the guy and give him my gun to make a holster using it as the form.

The question about power is one I considered as well. however, my wife and I used to work craft shows that are run much the same ways as gun shows. There usually were tables that had power available (we always needed power to light up her artwork) but were charged a fee for the hookup. I point to the hot food vendors that have the popcorn poppers and/or hot dog rollers as an example.

Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Yes .

At a gun show , where you drop off gun at their booth , and return later on . The actual process is quick , but it was a matter of how many guns were ahead of yours in line .

The usual vendor hasn't been at the local shows for a cpl years now . I did recently use a different one , but they are $$ .

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
I have made several kydex holsters. Mostly for myself but a few for friends. The difficulty with using (and time consuming aspect) the actual firearm is "blocking off" all of the small areas. Look at your firearm you mentioned and notice ALL of the odd surfaces. An example would be the serrations on a slide. Once heated and pressed, that kydex will mould/fill in all of those grooves. The end result of that is a holster perfectly shaped to the pistol. However, you'd never be able to draw it without prying the holster apart. Fwiw.

P.S. Sorry, posted in wrong spot earlier.