Holster question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lz1276

Bearcat
I purchased this holster with a '73 357mag Blackhawk. Wanted to see if anyone knew who the maker of this holster is? Thank you!

Picture4382_zps2a736de7.jpg

Hopefully this picture thing works!

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
If you find him, don't be too hard on him. A lot of people did some crazy things back in the 70's. Besides, he might be somewhat normal by now.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
One of the many thousands of leather crafters that make holsters made it would be my guess. I assume there are no markings on the back side???

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Because of the yellow rose I suspect that it's a Texan. Might be for one of their famous BBQ guns. My next best guess is that Liberace liked single actions. :D

Best Regards,
ADP3

lz1276

Bearcat
No markings anywhere and yes, it is rather unique and colorful, but it is very well made and fits like a glove. I cleaned it up a little bit and it's actually grown on me a bit. :shock: I've never seen another like it, so I thought maybe someone had seen something similar in the past.

eveled

Hawkeye
It has it's own charm, too bad the hold down blocks the rose. Whoever did it had decent leather skills, but was not making a lot of holsters. I think a profesional holster maker would have taken the strap into consideration when he laid out the design.

In the 70's leather craft was very popular. I remember walking to Tandy leather and spending my allowance on raw leather belts, wallets and other kits. Then hammering on them with special tools to make a pattern, then dieing them. They did have holster kits too. I got pretty good at it, if somebody asked me for a holster with a yellow rose on it, it would look like yours. Ed

A

Anonymous

lz1276 said:
I purchased this holster with a '73 357mag Blackhawk. Wanted to see if anyone knew who the maker of this holster is? Thank you!

Timothy Leary? Peter Max? Did it come with a charger?

In all seriousness, it looks like a kit holster in the Lawrence or Bucheimer style. I kinda like it for its different-ness and the fact that someone took the time and care to make it. That doesn't mean I'd actually use it to carry in, but still...it'd make an interesting addition to a collection...a great conversation piece. If it were mine, I'd keep it.

oldguy

Bearcat
As a retired saddler I just had to get my 2 cents in. Your holster was more than likely built by a hobbiest or part time leather worker. Might have been a kit or could have worked it out using one of the how to make holster books that are still available. Won't comment on style just say if the stitching is tight it fits your gun and you like it that's all that matters.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
oldguy said:
As a retired saddler I just had to get my 2 cents in. Your holster was more than likely built by a hobbiest or part time leather worker. Might have been a kit or could have worked it out using one of the how to make holster books that are still available. Won't comment on style just say if the stitching is tight it fits your gun and you like it that's all that matters.

I have to agree with oldguy here. As I also am a retired saddler.
And have a lot of Tandy patterns. And this flower design is one of them.

Gee, it's good to be proven right once in a while.

You know, I haven't done any leatherwork in years (more like decades). I've gotten to the point I hire pros for the work. But, maybe it's time to pickup an old hobby again. Yea, like I have time for another. :D