Holster for SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I have a SP101 with bobbed hammer and the factory laser grip sights. I really want to start carrying for my CCW gun. My first holster attempt was the rough suede Galco IWB and it is just not comfortable unless it is in the front pocket of my blue jeans. I think I want to try a "high ride" belt holster. Anyone have experience with the Bianchi 7 Shadow II holster?

opplanet-bianchi-7-shadow-ii-holster-plain-tan-right-hand-18614.jpg

What else is similar and maybe a better choice?

I carry my Glock23 in a Mernickle custom rig that rides high behind my right hip (same for my Bisley Vaqueros) and so the thinking on the SP101 is it will also work well there.

Anyone carry the SP101 at the small of the back or whatever that is called?

Thanks. Jimmy

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I like those Model 7's for heavy guns as they tend not to let the gun "flop" out away from the body. Lots of folks swear by them and they've been around for a long time.

With a bobbed hammer, holsters tend to have a different type of retention strap. I have a Ross M4HS that is designed for a bobbed hammer although it can be used with a spured hammer as well. It looks like this......

RossM4HPagePHOTO1.gif

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM4HPAGE.htm

I'm a fan of Simply Rugged and believe they can work with you as far as a retention device if you want one.

Mernickle certainly makes good stuff. I'd see what he could do for you as well.

As far as S.O.B. (Small Of the Back) holsters, I don't care for them. They dig into my back when sitting and are a pain to draw from for me. Lots of custom makers won't even make them as they do not care for them as well.

A

Anonymous

I like Don Hume and Kirkpatrick Gunleather and El Paso saddlery Co. I own a Don Hume and a Bianchi for my sp101. The Bianchi was a little pricy.
Any "high ride" will do. I was informed by Blackhawk by email inquiry that they have "No plans to build a serpa holster for the Ruger sp101".

sebtool

Blackhawk
I got the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster for my SP101 and am extremely happy with it.
The gun fits real well, and the holster is comfortable to wear. 1 of the 1st I've had that I could say that about. Posted pics awhile back - here's the link.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=75921

Retention won't be an issue, but I believe they'll add a strap if requested.

These are probably priced better than the 'big name' holsters to boot. At least the ones that I looked at. I'd rather feed the little guys anyway... :D And they're good folks to deal with.

A

Anonymous

sebtool":j34pxbh7 said:
I got the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster for my SP101 and am extremely happy with it.
The gun fits real well, and the holster is comfortable to wear. 1 of the 1st I've had that I could say that about. Posted pics awhile back - here's the link.

These are probably priced better than the 'big name' holsters to boot. At least the ones that I looked at. I'd rather feed the little guys anyway... :D And they're good folks to deal with.

Good info. My next rig will be a Simply Rugged.

Thanks.

cwegga

Bearcat
JJ357":2nba7136 said:
I have a SP101 with bobbed hammer and the factory laser grip sights. I really want to start carrying for my CCW gun. My first holster attempt was the rough suede Galco IWB and it is just not comfortable unless it is in the front pocket of my blue jeans. I think I want to try a "high ride" belt holster. Anyone have experience with the Bianchi 7 Shadow II holster?

What else is similar and maybe a better choice?

I carry my Glock23 in a Mernickle custom rig that rides high behind my right hip (same for my Bisley Vaqueros) and so the thinking on the SP101 is it will also work well there.

Thanks. Jimmy

I have a Bianchi 7 Shadow II for my 3" SP101. I think it is a great holster. It holds the gun high and tight to the body and is probably the most comfortable belt holster I have. I normally wear it right about 4 o'clock. It is my preferred holster for hiking and bumming around the woods.

Now, the problem is going to be that the thumb break won't fit with the spurless hammer you have. It will probably still hold the gun in the holster but allow it to slide up the distance that the hammer spur would be.

Personally I wouldn't choose Simply Rugged holsters because I require retention and prefer thumbreaks, but there are many happy customers out there.

15nrsqs.jpg

s5wbp3.jpg

WMB30

Single-Sixer
One of the primary reason I use Simply Rugged holsters is that they provide retention without the use of thumbreaks, straps, etc.
Bill

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
sebtool":108mrbtz said:

I'll second that. The Simply Rugged Silver Dollar is an exceptionally good holster for the SP101.

HiCap

Bearcat
I am very partial to my AKJ Concealco for my 101 "hammerless".

HiCap

caedenspa

Bearcat
Skalkaho Slim":1fq3lpen said:
I like those Model 7's for heavy guns as they tend not to let the gun "flop" out away from the body. Lots of folks swear by them and they've been around for a long time.

With a bobbed hammer, holsters tend to have a different type of retention strap. I have a Ross M4HS that is designed for a bobbed hammer although it can be used with a spured hammer as well. It looks like this......

RossM4HPagePHOTO1.gif

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM4HPAGE.htm

I'm looking for a holster just like this Ross model, but for IWB. I know, I know, when IWB you shouldn't need the retention strap. There's lots of things I don't need, but even more that I just *want*. This is one of them. Anyone know of a holster like that for IWB?

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
^^^ For something like that, I'd recommend getting with one of the custom makers (Lobo Gun Leather, Mernickle, Simply Rugged for example) and see what they can do.

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that a "mass production" holster company is going to have what you want and they most likely aren't going to entertain your ideas unless they can make (and sell) thousands of them.

Some of the custom makers are going to be much cheaper (and better quality) than say, Bianchi or Galco and probably wouldn't mind making a "one off" custom rig to your specs.

cwegga

Bearcat
WMB30":hvnos9cw said:
One of the primary reason I use Simply Rugged holsters is that they provide retention without the use of thumbreaks, straps, etc.
Bill

Maybe, maybe not. When I say retention I mean "for sure" retention. A while ago I was over at my parents house and since my dad was injured at the time my mother asked me to clear some storm broken branches out of tree in their yard. I felt fine grabbing a 7ft high branch, swinging my legs up over my head to hook around the branch, pulling myself up and climbing around 15-20ft up the tree knocking down big branches.

Now I know that I probably have a differently active lifestyle than many members here because of age differences but I wouldn't trust an open top holster when upside down tree climbing. Would you?... :twisted:

sebtool

Blackhawk
IIRC, on the Simply Rugged web site 1 of the examples they give of the level of retention their holster have described a fellow chasing down a runaway jet boat on an Alaskan river.
Running full tilt, jumping, swimming, hell, for all I know, doing hand stands and cartwheels, to get to the boat. Even after getting thoroughly soaked his pistol was still retained.

To be honest, I was surprised, and impressed, at the level of retention provided by the fit of these holsters. It takes a solid pull to remove the gun, it will not fall out.

Of course, I haven't been swinging upside down from many trees lately, at least while carrying anything other than a short barreled HD shotgun. :wink:
At my advanced age of nearly 1/2 century, I try to reserve that type of tomfoolery for Saturday nights at home.... :shock:

YMMV

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have 2 simply rugged holsters and they ar top quality 1 is for my sp101 and it holds fine without any type of strap but the one for my 454 alaskan has a thumbbreak retention strap and it works great but these pistols are a lot heavier than the sp101 so I guess thats the reason for the retention strap. The name says it all the simply rugged holster isn't real pretty but it is a top quality holster for everyday use that will last a lifetime. They are top quality holsters built for use not to look pretty.