Holster For Security Six (4") ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larstusor

Bearcat
I was able to pick up a "200th Year" SS for a good price at a local pawn shop. The action was quite smooth and with my changing out the trigger return spring with a Wolff, it is a very nice shooter. I've been trying to locate a good holster for both field and concealed carry. Probably a pancake is the way to go. I've scoured the forums and auction sites where there are an abundance of nice, used K Frame holsters available but practically nothing beyond nylon for the old Ruger Sixes. I've have read that notwithstanding the holster for sale posts saying that it "fits most medium frame revolvers", most K Frame holsters are not the right size for a Six. Anybody here have a definitive word on that matter. I would pick up on a nice old medium frame holster if I felt comfortable that it would not be a sloppy fit for my Six. Do I have to buy a new one made for the SS?

dbarale

Obsolete
In my experience, most open top holsters for a K frame will work fine with a Security Six. You may run into some issues with some really tight holsters meant for S&W with fixed sights (10, 13, 65, etc) being too tight around the top area of the frame but the real problem is usually the retaining strap if there is one. The position and shape of the hammer is quite different and can cause some issues.
I've been able to solve this on a couple holsters by getting the leather wet and stretching it over the gun (wrapped in saran) overnight.

With this said I end up using mostly an uncle mike nylon pancake that has an adjustable strap, is light and weatherproof, and really keeps the gun close to my body (mostly while hiking), it was also cheap.
If I were to go leather again I would go for a Simply Rugged holster, their pancake design should work great for a Sec Six and their quality is great for the price.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
My security six always did fit any holster made for Mod 19/66 S&W revolvers. I carried mine in a S&W Pancake style for years. Also used a Bianchi Cyclone made for the K frame Smiths too.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I don't have any experience with the Six series guns and what holsters will work with them. I do however have some experience with holsters. If you want a leather holster to actually 'fit' it needs to be designed for that gun or you need to have better luck than I typically experience. Based on your statement that you want to use it as both a field and concealed holster, I would call Simply Rugged and have them make you a Sourdough Pancake for your model gun. They don't list the six series guns but that is not surprising. If they will make it, it will fit properly. Yes you will pay more (last one I bought was $60) and have to wait (currently about 6 weeks) but you will get a quality holster that will work as a belt holster and with a chest rig (Chest Puller System - $55) and you won't end up with a drawer full of holsters that don't work. Cheap holsters can be very expensive.

spruce98lx

Bearcat
I have a Sourdough Pancake from Simply Rugged for my Six. It fits great. I always have good things to say about Simply Rugged. I an currently waiting for a new holster for my "Tactical Tupperware". Simply Rugged holsters work great and do not cost much for a custom rig.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I've used several holsters successfully with my 4" Security Six-My favorite is a Blade-Tech kydex IWB; others are Bianchi's UM84R (the revolver version of their standard M12/UM84 military flap holster), and a Hunter 1100 series leather holster.

For kydex, I recomment Blade-Tech without hesitation; thay make both IWB and OTW holsters in several styles-see www.blade-tech.com For rugged outdoor use, where concealment/speed of draw isn't a primary concern, I'd recommend the Bianchi UM84R-it provides excellent protection against the elements, and is still easily accessed.

Another consideration might be The Wilderness' Safepacker-see www.thewilderness.com. It would be a sort of off-body "concealed in plain sight" rig, but I've used them for over 20 years, primarily for biking, hiking, and off-body carry.

As others have mentioned, a general purpose holster for a K-frame S&W revolver will work just fine.

Best, Jon