Holster for Purse Carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
This is for the ladies on the board that carry in their purses, or the guys whose SOs carry in a purse.

What holster is preferred to hold the gun in a purse that doesn't have a pouch or pocket specifically for the gun?

I'm looking to set up my new Chief's Special for Mrs. Aqualung. I got it with a couple OWB holsters and a thin, Uncle Mike's IWB.

Since she'll most likely stick this gun in her soft-sided purse, I'm looking to see what the options are that will protect the trigger, yet retain the gun to keep the trigger protected.

I thought of just adding a small hammer loop to the UM, but am not sure of other options.

Any input on actual experience will be appreciated.

Aqualung

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I can't help you with holster options, but I do have a question. Is this something she requested or is it going to be a surprise gift? Either way, good luck. :)

RSIno1

Hunter
These work good. I've got some for our Glocks and LCPs. My wife loops the lanyard around her purse strap so if she pulls out the gun the trigger guard comes off.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

contender

Ruger Guru
When we teach the ladies clinics,, the subject of purse carry is a big part of our discussion. I always explain that with a purse carry,, it's NOT on the body & must be carefully controlled at all times.
AND,, to add to that,, the firearm MUST be easily & readily available for use, if, gosh forbid,, it's NEEDED. So, a holster must be of the type that allows protection AND accessibility.
We normally suggest purses that are already designed with those features.

But, your question is about modifying an existing purse with a holster.

Options;
(1) A leather worker sewing something that allows the adaptation your seek. It may mean sewing the purse, sewing a pocket, or whatever. Without looking directly at the purse, it's hard to figure out a design that would work.
(2) Velcro. Adding a good quality velcro to the purse, and to a holster in the necessary position can work. This way the gun is retained,, yet still in a holster. AND the holster can be removed as necessary for some purposes.
This method works quite well for the varied suede holsters designed for low profile & pocket type carry.
(3) Since you already have a few holsters,, maybe you can look at the design of them to see if adding a short "belt" to clip the holster to would work. It would likely require hand sewing or again a leather worker to sew that on.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Gun Totin Mamas has a nice selection of gun purses with Velcro holsters, they also have Velcro holsters for sale…my wife has two purses, a Fanny pack, and a small crossbody.

One idea is a pocket carry holster... these are designed with a somewhat rough outside and slick inside so that the holster will stay in the pocket. I would think that if a woman is going to carry in a purse then they should research this as serious and a man who is going to carry on his person. Ultimately carrying is about the most serious thing one should consider and how one does it is very important.

Until she stole my Glock 42 my wife always carried a 2" snubbie. She found that she was always digging for it in her purse. Not very fast or efficient

I suggested gun purses but like most women style and looks counts more than most other considerations. I finally hit on the answer.

I take an appropriately size piece of fairly stiff leather. It's cut to remain in place in the purse it's cut for. I used stitch or rivet a holster to it but that required as many setups as she has purses.

These days I attach one holster to the various backings with velcro. The backing stays with the purse and she simply moves gun and holster from purse to purse.

The gun stays upright and positioning if pretty close from purse to purse.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
My wife has always had concealed carry purses that have a holster built in (sewn or velcro). There are many brands out there. In fact, I'm repairing an old one of hers as a gift for a friend of ours.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Thanks all for the input. We'll take all of this into consideration.

We're still in the planning/fact-finding phase of her carrying and I was just "thinking out loud" to the forum to get ideas.

Aqualung

Thanks all for the input. We'll take all of this into consideration.

We're still in the planning/fact-finding phase of her carrying and I was just "thinking out loud" to the forum to get ideas.

Aqualung
There's usually someone with a stand at the Oaks show that has a nice selection of purse carry stuff, my wife picked one of hers up there.

Lot of years since I taught womens NRA classes, at the time they recommended carrying a purse that unzips at the end of the purse. As with anything else, there's pro's and cons to everything. I know most men suggest not carrying a gun in a purse, but it's the old better to have one, in their purse, than not have one at all. I strongly don't recommend a woman carry her purse over a single shoulder. It's just to easy for a BG to pull it off and keep running. I think the answer (although not the best) is to put it over the shoulder and head, with the purse hanging opposite the primary hand. All of this is very dependent on situational awareness. Any woman carrying a purse needs to be very aware of what's going on around her. The purse needs to be situated so the zipper in the gun is facing forward. If she becomes suspicious of danger just slide the purse over in front of her body. With her primary hand unzip the zipper and slider her hand in the pocket, and take a hold of the grip of the gun. If the danger actually proves to be there with the opposite hand push the purse off the gun and the gun comes out of the purse and is immediately available to deal with whatever.
If the danger proves to not be legitimate the lady discreetly removes her hand from the end of the purse and zips it up and goes back to carrying naturally . No harm no foul. The problem with the over the head carry if the bad guy is adamant in taking the purse the woman can be dragged, but she still has the opportunity to grab her gun. It's been my observation the older the woman the less likely she's going to carry on her person, because she always has her purse. I personally like the idea of running a steel cable up the strap of the purse because it's more difficult for someone to cut the strap and run.

It appears that younger slim women are more willing to carry IWB, or with a body wrap of some sort. You have to have it with you if it's going to do any good. The husband, is probably not going to have a vote on this deal. It is important to give a woman all the options available. It's not enough to go out and buy your wife a gun and expect her to carry it. Won't happen.

Last edited:
my Daughter uses products from these gals