Holster for GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nnero93

Bearcat
I know this has been talked about before and there are a million different opinions. So here it goes: I am going to buy a new holster for my 4" GP100 with the money I get for Christmas. Concealment is not a big issue. I need a holster that is good for hiking, camping, and for riding my four wheeler and working on the tractor. I would like one that holds the gun securely and protects the rear sight. Right now I have a Bianchi accumold which is fine but I would like one that holds the gun better, offers more protection and is leather. From what I have looked at, it seems the Galco DAO seems to be my first choice. Would just like some opinions. Thanks for reading. Here she is:
CIMG1187.jpg

c.r.

Single-Sixer
You might want to take a look at Bianchi's cylclone holster.

This holster was recomended to me by other forum members. I picked one up and i'm pleased with it.

another option is "simply rugged", they make pan-cake style holsters. I have one for a j-frame smith. google simply rugged leather or holsters and you should be able to find them.

I also have a kirkpatrick leather, "Sixgunner" holster for a single action that is probably my favorite.

just a few options for you to consider

~c.r.

nnero93

Bearcat
I was just worried about an open top holster like the simply rugged one. Since I will be bouncing around on the atv. Its more about safety for me and protection for the gun.

SL1

Bearcat
I suggest a holster that covers the trigger as well as protecting the sights. I have had branches pull the rings out of the clevis pins on my pack frame while going through dense brush, and it occured to me long ago that means they could also pull a trigger. So, I have always made SURE that my triggers are covered, and that has worked well for me in some really dense stuff. If I remember correctly, the Cyclone covers the trigger, and it also has a thumb-break retention strap. Those are what I look of in a trail holster.

SL1

I use an Uncle Mikes flap cover quite a bit. It keeps dust and rain off the gun and protects the sights and me. I used a holster that left the rear sight open and kept hitting my elbow on the sight blade. The other holster I like is a Hunter crossdraw for my GP100 6". When driving a tractor, It can slide around to accomodate the seat shape w/o rubbing on the armrests. It also has a raised leather ear that protects the sight and an adjustable hammer strap for security. For ammo I carry either a UM folding carrier with 12 rounds or a Bianchi strip loader in a flat belt mount snaptop carrier. This type is very compact but easy to reach if needed.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Go to Copsplus.com. check duity holsters under and select Safariland. Look at the model 6287 fine tac. There are other holsters in the 6200 series. This one has a metal plate that carries a polymer shell which is suede lined. The retention hood is over the hammer and will only move if moved by pressing a lever outside the holster.

I use these these for field holsters with my mid sized GP's and 10mm Glock. The only service they require is a little brushing out if sand or grit gets in it may scratch the gun.

There are two options for this holster. first is a lock for the hood release, or a guard that covers the sights. To bad they cannot be used at the same time!

Best part of all you can get different belt plates. You can get your speed loaders at copsplus too.

If a quick draw draw is not as important as the gun staying clean and put I use the Wilderness Safepacker with the wider strap. If you use the larger grips you must get the bigger model yet if you put on the compact grips you might be able to get into a belt sized one. They have great customer service. The Safepacker was designed for mountain rescue teams who must also be armed.

Calthrop

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I've found than Bianchi's UM84R is an excellent holster for the outdoor use/activities that you've described; it's the revolver version of the standard military flap holster, with a host of customizable features and components.

Another good alternative would be The Wilderness' Safepacker holster.

Best, Jon

nnero93

Bearcat
I like this one:http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/409/prd/139/

I like the idea of a flap holster too. I not worried about fast draw, but would like to get to the gun quickly and safely if need be. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

MTPlainsman

Bearcat
I don't know if this will be a problem for you, but with my holster I have to skip a belt loop to have it back enough to bend over, sit, etc. I think my next one will ride high and have a forward cant.

s4s4u

Hunter
I like a crossdraw for those situations. Hunter makes one you can have for about $35.

Sturgell

Bearcat
I have a Gould and Goodrich that does everything you mentioned plus I CC'd it today. Very nice holster model B803. I also have a Fobus Paddle for the GP100 that I am fixing to put in the classifieds.

nnero93

Bearcat
Hey, does anyone have any different pics or experience with the bianchi military flap holster? I have narrowed it down to that and the triple k woodsman. I will eventually get both, I just have to pick which one to get first. I didnt find any reviews on either holster. Just wondering who has experience with them. Thanks.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
I am just going to be blunt. You asked experienced GP-100 users their opinions of safe and reliable field holsters. This writer was one of those who posted. Most of the items suggested were in the fifty to eighty dollar range. That was for the holster only. You will need a belt and provision for reloads. The only one who mentioned triple K was you. I would look very closely at that fact.
If I were to get leather I'd get horse hide, Calthrop

nnero93

Bearcat
Thanks for your replies everyone. I looked at all the holsters that were mentioned and quite a few that were not. I only asked about the triple k holster because it seemed to fit my needs. Before considering it, I thought I would ask if anyone here had any experience and my question was answered. I think the the bianchi um84r will suit me the best of what I looked at this point, it was mentioned in this thread, and has good reviews. I understand that its not meant for fast draw. I will be purchasing a duty belt to go along with it. Thanks again.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been extremely pleased with my Bianchi UM84R holster. It's ambidexterous, and is modularly designed around a host of optional components (i.e., thumbstrap replacing flap, harness for underarm/chest carry, etc.). It's the military M12/UM84 holster adopted for a revolver. It provides excellent coverage from the elements/obstructions, is easily cleaned, and you don't have to use the flap if you don't desire. It comes with a quick attachment system, and also has integral belt slots incorporated into the holster body. Cost is on the high side (usually around $70-$85), but it's an extremely durable and flexible holster. To expedite opening the flap for high stress situations, many in the military opted to attach an expended 7.62mm or .50 cal cartridge case via "100 mile an hour" (military duct tape) tape to the flap handle release to provide an easily grabbable pull-down to accellerate the flap opening process. For most civilian use, that probably isn't necessary (or the optional thumbstrap can be substituted for the flap). The holster easily accomodates most 4" revolvers, and provides nice protection to adjustable rear sights.

Best, Jon

rhatimi

Bearcat
If money is of concern, I would suggest a Gunmate holster. They run for around 10 bucks and hold the GP very well. They are nylon, but are rugged as hell. I use one for my 4 inch GP, from everything to carrying it in the woods, or out at the range.