Holster for Alaskan and Kodiak 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
For standard belt holsters, I like the classic Hunter 1100 series leather version, but their fit chart does not show the short barreled Alaskan or Kodiak.

From what I see though, the Super Redhawk and Redhawk get different holsters on the fit chart. So apparently these two don't share the same holster well, no matter what the barrel length.

The Hunter 1100-50 for the Redhawk could be cut down for the shorter barrel Kodiak, but the cut leaves an open bottom, and I don't have a leather stitching machine.

What leather belt holster options are you guys seeing for the Kodiak?

Thanks.

DPris

Buckeye
I have a chest rig from Galco that fits both snubs, and a belt holster from DeSantis that fits both equally well. Both are open bottom designs.

While the DeSantis was catalogued for the Alaskan, it works perfectly with the Kodiak.

You might find a similar situation with other makes & models.
Denis

Marine24

Bearcat
hittman said:
http://www.simplyrugged.com/

Ditto.

Their Sourdough Pancake holster can be worn strong side, crossdraw or as a chest rig when purchased with their Chesty Puller straps. I use that holster for my Alaskan.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
I couldn't get the DeSantis website to spit out the image for the Alaskan holster.

I would have thought an Alaskan holster would fit the Kodiak as well until I saw that Hunter specifies 2 different versions of the 1100 series for the same barrels of each gun. But I have seen where others said they interchange.

Looks like the Ruger website shows a standard belt model for the Alaskan, and a reviewer said it fit Kodiak, but $74+ to get in...

DPris

Buckeye
I can't find it on the DeSantis site now.
May have gotten one of their last ones. :)

It has 016 over 59 stamped on the back, nice suede-lined thumbreak that fits the Kodiak perfectly.
Sorry.
Denis