Hollywood Cowboy Left Handers...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Blackhawk
Back in the '50's my dad used to take me to watch westerns at the movie theaters. I noticed that John Ireland was left handed, but more recently, I have noticed he also carried/ and shot right handed in different movies.
A web site, I went to also said Chuck Conners who played the Rifleman was left handed even though in the opening sequence he operates the lever rifle with his right hand.
Jim Hardy of Wells Fargo, played by Dale Robertson.

I am sure others here can think of more...

HarlenAshley

Bearcat

Attachments

• 3C083977-5364-40BB-9540-88CD2F3C86C3.jpeg
    3C083977-5364-40BB-9540-88CD2F3C86C3.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 14

gunman42782

Hunter
Chuck Conners used both hands in the Rifleman, but I think the majority of the time he shot left handed.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye

Paul Newman practiced hard for several weeks to be able to shoot (even with blanks) left handed. So when the picture show was made he looked natural shooting left handed. Then came the disclaimer that that photo of Billy the Kid was reversed and he was not left handed after all! Tell tale was the Winchester he was holding, the loading port was on the wrong side of the receive!

Bob Wright

woodsy

Blackhawk
Um, these are actors, mostly professionals, who are not trying to hit anything, but are just following a script. They actually portray a (usually) imaginary person. Unless it was that actor whose two eyes never looked in the same direction (Jack Elam!), I don't think it matters much how-handed they are.

Last edited:

cowboycopus

Single-Sixer
Michael Landon was a lefty but in some of his early stuff I guess they didn't have a left handed rig so he wore a right hand. I met him and Slim Pickens in Columbia, California where a lot of westerns were filmed. Slim Pickins was a hoot.

Back in the '50's my dad used to take me to watch westerns at the movie theaters. I noticed that John Ireland was left handed, but more recently, I have noticed he also carried/ and shot right handed in different movies.
A web site, I went to also said Chuck Conners who played the Rifleman was left handed even though in the opening sequence he operates the lever rifle with his right hand.
Jim Hardy of Wells Fargo, played by Dale Robertson.

I am sure others here can think of more...
Actually Dale Robertson is right handed. He felt that learning to be left handed separated him from all the other TV 'heros'.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Um, these are actors, mostly professionals, who are not trying to hit anything, but are just following a script. They actually portray a (usually) imaginary person. Unless it was that actor whose two eyes never looked in the same direction, I don't think it matters much how-handed they are.

Even though blanks are used, the handling of a Single Action with his off-hand was what Newman worked on. It takes practice to smoothly handle a revolver so that it looks natural when one would normally use his right hand instead of his left. And yes, he was an actor, and actors work hard to become the person they portray.

I've been an old grouch and a wealthy physician in church plays, and that's hardly who Bob Wright is. Or, at least I don't think so.

Bob Wright

Yep it takes
Even though blanks are used, the handling of a Single Action with his off-hand was what Newman worked on. It takes practice to smoothly handle a revolver so that it looks natural when one would normally use his right hand instead of his left. And yes, he was an actor, and actors work hard to become the person they portray.

Yep about 2500-3000, 22LRs. Draw fire and holster over and over one handed and two handed one shot then more. When I was a Reserve Sheriffs Deputy I couldn't hit crap weak hand. Now I don't have a weak hand:)
All serious Pistoleo should not have a weak hand. Who knows it could save your life someday.

kmoore

Buckeye
On my police range, we quit saying use your weak hand. Example: Instructions were to say "draw you're sidearm. Fire 3 rounds one handed, switch to other hand and fire 3 more in 6 seconds."

Last edited:

Latest posts