Hogue Tamer Grip for GP!00

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BMEGP100

Bearcat
After shooting 24 rounds of 357 through my new GP100, I found that the hump on the back of the stock grip was starting to hurt the palm of my hand. I see that the Hogue Tamer Grips do not have that hump on the back of the grip. I am thinking of trying the Tamer grip

Have any of you had this experience with the stock grip. Has anyone used the Tamer grip?

BMEGP100

Bearcat
Your GP has which "stock" grips?

These ( most common ) have no hump.

View attachment 18189
Mine
197a, Ruger GP100 357 Magnum LS.JPG
has the Hogue Finger Groove rubber grips

hittman

Staff member
Ahh … I'd look for a set of those with the wood insert like that Ruger advertising.
After you get up to 15 posts you can put a WTB ad in the Classifieds here.
I've kept those on all of my GPs.
I had a set like yours on a S&W I think …. Also didn't care for the hump thingy.

If you want a really good grip go to ShopRuger.com and get the grips that go on the Match Champion. You'll never look back. They are extremely comfortable. They might not be the cheapest but you have to experience them just once and you will know the money spent was worth it.

wproct

Single-Sixer
First, the wood grips that RoninPa describes above are very good grips, good looking and very comfortable. Second, to answer your question about the Tamer grips, they are quite different from the stock Hogue rubber grips. The Tamer grips are wider and more hand filling, and they have an insert in the back of the grips that provide excellent cushioning for the palm of your hand and between the thumb and the palm. This insert is made of Sorbothane foam cell and is very effective. The Tamer is also very reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, the only way that you know for sure if they are right for you is to try them. I purchased mine through Amazon and they had a satisfaction guarantee, but I certainly didn't want to return them.

eveled

Hawkeye
Altamont makes a slightly fancier version of the Rubber grips that take the Ruger inserts. For less money.

• Love
Reactions: KIR

contender

Ruger Guru
"If you want a really good grip go to ShopRuger.com and get the grips that go on the Match Champion. You'll never look back. They are extremely comfortable. They might not be the cheapest but you have to experience them just once and you will know the money spent was worth it."

I agree with this statement with one caveat. Each & every person has a different hand & feel when it comes to a handgun grip.
I will say that MANY folks prefer the MC grip over others. (Including myself.)

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
After shooting 24 rounds of 357 through my new GP100, I found that the hump on the back of the stock grip was starting to hurt the palm of my hand. I see that the Hogue Tamer Grips do not have that hump on the back of the grip. I am thinking of trying the Tamer grip

Have any of you had this experience with the stock grip. Has anyone used the Tamer grip?
The hogue monogrip is what I have on my sp101. Excellent grip and it handles recoil sooo much better than the stock grips. I ccw it iwb in a alien gear 3.0 cloak and tuck holster. It has good grip, yet it's not to good for ccw iwb.

s4s4u

Hunter
I had the Tamer on my 480 and loved it. So, I also put one on my GP-100 and even though the recoil doesn't warrant the cushioning of the Tamer I prefer the way it fits my hand. The monogrip that comes on the GP-100 is a poor design in my opinion.

Hebraist

Bearcat
I seem to do well with the stock grip that came on my GP100 2.5. The Match Champion certainly looks like it would add some character. For those who have it, do you think it would increase the trigger reach distance over the stock grip? That's a no-go for my carney-sized hands!

BMEGP100

Bearcat
I love the looks of the "old" GP100 grips with the wooden inserts as well as the Match Champion grips. However, I bought my GP100 to shoot. I dp not plan to carry my GP100 at this time as I have other carry guns.

Thanks to all who replied. I think I am going to take wproct's advice and buy the Tamer grips from Amazon. If they don't work for me. I will return them and try another recommendation.

I will post my results after shooting with the Tamer grips.

contender

Ruger Guru
"The Match Champion certainly looks like it would add some character. For those who have it, do you think it would increase the trigger reach distance over the stock grip?"

This goes back to my statement. Each person's hands are different. It's MUCH better if a person can try out a set of grips prior to buying them. Fit is VERY important to properly handling a handgun.

BMEGP100

Bearcat
As promised, here is my report on the Hogue Tamer grips on my 4.2" GP100.
I received the Tamer grips over the weekend. These grips fit my hand just fine. Went to the range today and put 48 rounds of 357 magnums through my GP100. Shooting 357s with these grips feels no harsher than shooting 38 specials. What an improvement compared to the stock rubber Hogue grips shown in my March 9th photo above

I purchased the Tamer grips through Amazon in case they did not work for me, but they worked out great. I am keeping them on my GP100.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I'm really glad that they worked out for you and I appreciate your taking the time to report back to us. (y)

Latest posts