Hogue Overmolded Stock for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Installs with just a normal field strip, and I'm really thrilled with the quality and feel.
I like emblem on the grip, ordered this direct from ShopRuger,
not sure if the ones from Hogue site have the same.

Any one else have these, pros/cons?
I'm stuck in the middle of a remodel at the house and can't want to get out and try it.

IMG_0593.jpg

"Seemed to me they'd be more logical on the 44 Carbine where recoil would be an issue."
I have a HOGUE stock on my 25/06 and it certainly does make recoil 'feel' lighter. The stock is heavier than the typical OEM synthetic which is a factor also.

I've never had one of those. Seemed to me they'd be more logical on the 44 Carbine where recoil would be an issue.
The first 10/22 I bought was the synthetic stock carbine which has the molded in sling mounts. Very usable as is but I had to see one of these Hogue stocks when looking for extra magazines on ShopRuger! I then added the Hogue stock and a Bushnell budget scope and that should round out that 10/22 for us.
Our other 10/22 is the one planned for the misses to use when I get her out to the range.
She wanted the wood stock 10/22 carbine and for it to stay iron sights. I've seen her shoot, on one of my trips to Ukraine before we got married many years ago but thats a longer story.

Here is the Hogue stock link on ShopRuger for those interested:

https://shopruger.com/10_22-Standard-OverMolded-Rubber-Rifle-Stock-Black/productinfo/84163/

The zombie green one would go great with a stainless 10/22... Just a thought.

EDIT: Wait, logic was mentioned about these, so my last post might fit here. For anyone with a similar ridiculous thought, keep in mind that color is only for the target .920 barrels. Carry on.

Last edited:

Yoter

Bearcat
A 10/22 16 inch barrel with fiber optic sights - Ruger medallion
A 10/22 bull barrel

Finally got to the range this past weekend, first time out on a rifle range, to date I've just been trying to get better on the pistol range.
Brought this 10/22 (w/Hogue stock/scope) and my other 10/22 with iron sights and wood stock. Pure fun and now have choice of going pistol or rifle at range but likely to focus on my 10/22s to learn rifle shooting. Lots to learn!
Without any previous rifle model experience I don't have the knowledge to make comparisons but these 10/22s are awesome. Not one issue with either, both ran flawless.

Also helps motivate when I learned just how tight groups can be with a rifle, now just to get these groups more exact on the diamond center, I'm certainly happy with first time out results! Three rounds at bottom are actually how far off my scope was initially, that was shooting at the big center diamond above them. At least windage was much closer on first tries. Common stuff for you pros but its new, cool stuff to me. Also a very calm day so didn't have to deal with actual windage.
Now I just need advise how to keep my wallet hidden...
IMG_0627.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice groups!

Since you've made a few comments about a lot of this being new to you,,, I'd like to offer a suggestion. If possible,, try & find a well known good rifle shooter to help you learn the RIGHT ways of things before you develop any bad habits.

(I was self taught for many years before I learned of my mistakes. I'm still trying to correct some of them.)

Nice groups!

Since you've made a few comments about a lot of this being new to you,,, I'd like to offer a suggestion. If possible,, try & find a well known good rifle shooter to help you learn the RIGHT ways of things before you develop any bad habits.

(I was self taught for many years before I learned of my mistakes. I'm still trying to correct some of them.)
Contender, thanks for the sound good advice. I am really lucky a friend from way back has helped me on the pistol range for the past 2 and half years, and I know he was waiting for when I'd pick up a rifle.
Within a larger crowd I've also known for years, I've learned fun is often had at the title he has earned, 'The legend'. For fun when setting up targets on carboard, I'll stick some of those splatter target patches out separate and watch him hit each with a single shot. I'll always try a few myself with not same results. I think he says 'aim small, miss small' on those.

I will be continuing to learn from him every time we are out, whether on pistol or rifle range.
Again, I'm really lucky to have such a friend to learn from and have fun in the process with good company.
The 22lr rifles he brought this past weekend were incredible to see, the stainless Model 60 he has is really nice piece for example. Also a Nylon 66 I think? I did stick with just learning my 10/22s on Sunday rather than picking up different models on this first trip but would like to try that 60 or 66 sometime.
He commented on the calm winds Sunday that were perfect for first time out so I can see I have a lot to learn. I'm totally good with being in 'Grasshopper' mode.

Both 10/22's made it to the range again last weekend. 2nd time out with the two I have and learning continues.
Having a lot of fun, doing well with these and can't be happier with my decision. I really like the option of having one with iron sights and one with a scope. I already had a Ruger Pistol and will consider the brand strongly if I seek any future choices. Off topic a bit here but rather than start a new '10/22s are great post' will just add to this one!

milleron

Bearcat
now just to get these groups more exact on the diamond center,
Gee, don't worry about getting the group closer to the center. That's trivial. Once you have nice, groups like this, all that takes is a click or two of the elevation knob on the scope. The trick is getting tight groups. The target is marked "25 yards," but that doesn't mean that you were shooting at that distance. At 100 yards, 1 minute of angle (MOA) is 1 inch. At 50 yards, it's ½ inch, but at 25 yards, it's only ¼ inch. Striving for groups that tight is the important thing, and it's the goal in practice, not hitting the bullseye; again, moving the group to the bullseye is trivial.
That said, most of us do NOT WANT the scope sighted in on the bullseye or crosshairs on the target for practice scenarios or for testing a new lot of ammunition. If it is, then the shots obliterate the aiming point for future shots. I have my scopes centered on a point about 2 inches directly below the dead center of the target (at 50 yards), which is the aiming point. I don't hunt, so that's not a situation in which I'd want the scope centered on the aiming point, but you might. The other situation is in competitions, but, competitors in bullseye tournaments always know the number of elevation clicks it takes to move the point of impact to the aiming point.