Hogue grip for Ruger Super Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
OK, I have read the "Grip Frames Explained" article, and all the comments that I could find, but I would appreciate confirmation.

I am wanting a Hogue rubber Monogrip for a Ruger 3-screw Super Blackhawk 44 magnum square back trigger guard 7.5" barrel series 80-XXXXX. The one Hogue shows on their website is fitted to a 2-screw Super.

Will it fit the three screw?

Thanks in advance,

HHH

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
Maybe I should re-phrase my question.

Are the grip frames on the late model series 80-XXXXX Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum 3-screw square back trigger guard the same as the "New Model" Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum 2-screw square back trigger guard?

Happy trails,

HHH

contender

Ruger Guru
I do believe that if you are dealing strictly with the Super Blackhawk with the square backed "dragoon" grip frame, they will be the same.

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
I made the mistake if putting rubber grips on my SBH some years ago.
I still have the scar where the skin was stripped from my palm.

The design of the single action frame allows the gun to roll up under recoil allowing the force to be dissipated. This has the side benefit of bringing the hammer spur down where the thumb can reach it to cock the pistol for the next shot.

Adding friction to this process can be a bad thing.
YMMV

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
Howdy to all, and thanks for the comments.

First of all, I received and installed the Hogue rubber Monogrip on my 3-screw Super Blackhawk and it fit just fine.

After a brief shooting trip, I am pleased. The grip moved my middle finger from behind the trigger guard to below it, so my finger is no longer getting hammered. I find that the extra width of the rubber grip cushions the recoil of the 44 mag, and if I keep a good grip, my hand stays with the grip under recoil.

To Modern, thanks for the information. I understand what you are saying, and the regular wooden plow handle grips work fine for me for everything up through 357 mag. For 44 mag, I need some extra cushion.

HHH