Hmm, grip decisions for GP-100 4"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MacTech

Bearcat
I picked up a used GP100 4" stainless a week or so ago (1988 vintage), it's in great shape, aside from the grips, which are showing their age, they're a set of black rubbery grips that have most of the tackiness gone, they look rough, and I'm not happy with them

IMG_3315.JPG

I've been kicking around what grips I'd like to replace them with, I'm definitely a form-follows-function kind of guy, and this GP is going to basically be a range toy, like my Kimber Custom II .45ACP

I've basically narrowed down my grip choices to two classes of grips....

Rubber grips; the Pachmayr Decelerator or the Hogue Monogrip
"Traditional" grips; the Ruger wood/rubber combo grips

I like the looks of the Ruger wood/rubber combo, but even there I have a choice, rosewood, or black laminate wood inserts.....

I'm leaning towards the black laminate, it would look much classier on a stainless revolver, rosewood would look great on a blued GP100...

so, my questions are;

in the rubber category, which grip tames the recoil better, Hogue Mono, or Pach. Decelerator?

in the rubber/wood category, which would look better on a stainless gun, Black Laminate or Rosewood?

and between the wood/rubber or plain rubber grips, which is the better grip for recoil control?

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
The grips pictured appear to be "Uncle Mike's" which were originaly designed by Craig Spiegel. My favorite grips for my GP-100 were of a hard black nylon compound, which if you so desired, could be worked like wood, sanded and shaped to fit your hand. They were purchased from Hogue. Of course if you prefer wood grips, Hogue can accomodate you.

Anthony

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I've gone back to my factory grips on my 91 vintage 6 inch SS. Hogue mono grip would be my first choice for aftermarket. They seem to fit hands well, feel good and soak up recoil a bit.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I prefer the factory originals.
How about going with the original factory wood/rubber grips but spring for some custom inserts of stag or fancy hardwood from one of the guys here that do them? When?if I ever get an SP or GP back in the collection it will get some elk inserts first thing.

deac45

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
My choice is factory grips with birdseye maple inserts. With the SS finish, it is one of 41 mags better sets. greg

thunder23js

Bearcat
The stainless looks great with the original rubber and a set of Holly wood inserts with medaliions from 41mag here on the boards. Mine are on a Super Redhawk in .44mag and they absorb recoil just fine. You could always get all of them and change them out for different looks. Good luck!

krssteel

Bearcat
I have a set of stag inserts I might be willing to part with for the right price. Also have a ROSS 'driving' holster that I am going to sell. These holsters are $70 and up. Might trade both the holster and the stag grips for a pair of hardwood grips with finger grooves.
I have 2 of these holsters and only have use for one.

Email me if interested through the forum or PM me.

GP100inserts.jpg

ammo001.jpg

Blammo

Bearcat
Houge Pau Ferro Top Finger Groove Only. Classiest and best feeling grip I have ever put on my GP-100

ae0f6e4976c0619763520563e6ab6c48.jpg

d655aaf6dce3d7d3e53372165fca33f9.jpg

Blammo

Bearcat
sebtool":27wu7e1n said:
Those Hogue's are sweet! Are they a standard catalog item?

They'd look just as good, if not better :!: on my blued GP :D

Yep, standard catalog item. They'll only look better on a "blued" GP if that revolver has been redone by someone who actually knows what good blueing is supposed to look like.

Matte black paint ain't the look of my Colt DS revolvers. :D

One of my fantasy projects is to get a 4" "blue" GP-100 and send it to Gemini Customs and have the barrel cut to just ahead of the ejector rod housing, and have them soften all of the edges, and then have the piece sent to Cylinder and Slide for a master blue polish job that approaches the old "royal blue" on the classic Colt Pythons.

Then I'd match that revolver up with some tulipwood grips like my Hogues above.

Or maybe I'll just send this one to Coal Creek Armory and get it melonited.

Choices, choices. :D

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
I put the factory rubber, with black inserts on my stainless 5". I think it looks much better that the Hogues.

357GP100008.jpg

357GP100006.jpg

EarlFH

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
Put some wood on her....she deserves it! Some Coco Bolo from Hogue. Some have asked how recoil is with the wood. I can't tell a difference between the wood and the rubber Hogues it came with.
cocobolo.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I like the Hogue wood, but would probably opt for non-finger grooved ones.

But I really like the "hybrid" wood & rubber look of the original grips. These have Flamed Maple inserts from 41 Magnum.

GP100.jpg

-- Sam

Latest posts